TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I dont have a 350 but a SC GT, I just checked my oil at 800km and it has not used one bit which is comforting. The oil was changed at 22km due to having the SC installed.
Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
I dont have a 350 but a SC GT, I just checked my oil at 800km and it has not used one bit which is comforting. The oil was changed at 22km due to having the SC installed.
FYI it usually takes 1000s of miles before oil consumption becomes apparent. My first motor went through 1/2 qt the first 4000 miles, then quickly went downhill from there. Motor 2 (knock on wood) is holding rock solid at over 4500 miles

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don’t really run it at high rpm much, and I don’t track the car. I guess the usage is from lifting off the throttle a lot to hear the engine pop and snort.
Just to throw it out there since this comment ALWAYS gets made in these types threads...there’s been no correlation discussed, assumed, or otherwise, that high rpm/hard driving is a culprit or contributor to oil consumption. In fact, there’s probably enough discussion to theorize the opposite direction. All these track rats and guys that admit to hard driving are historically the last ones to complain about oil consumption. No point here, just sayin.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I bought my 18 from a Ford dealership. Had them do an oil change before I signed the paperwork. I watched to make sure 10 quarts was added. The 18 had 2861 miles when I purchased it. I then spent the next 5,000 miles trying to self diagnose the oil consumption and in the process, drove some of the members here on the forum bonkers.

So with that being said, let me offer some advice. Stop. Do not waste time, money for oil and gas or put unneeded miles on your car like I did trying to self diagnose oil consumption. If you're at 1 quart or under a quart @ 600 miles of normal driving, take it in to start the oil consumption test. Here's why. Mine and 2 others here in the central Florida area were at about the same consumption. All three of us did the oil consumption test and all three of us had ring failure in cylinders 1 and 2. If you have soot on the exhaust tips, this an indicator of burning oil. All three of us had excessive soot on the exhaust tips. After the engine change, the tips are bright and shiny after 2,000 miles. There are more details to this but for the sake of not writing a book, that's the gist of it.

I just want to offer you another point of view. There are those who will disagree with me and that's fine. I'm not looking to debate this or justify anything. I'm only expressing my personal experience in this matter to help.

These are amazing cars. I'm giddy every time I drive. Even more so now that I am not worrying about my oil. In 2,000 miles with the new motor, the oil level has stayed the same. The exhaust tips are shiny and the new motor rips.

Hope this helps.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
So my mileage shows 8102, almost 500 miles from the last time I added oil. I added about a 1/2 quart last time and it read in the middle of the hashed area. Today, the oil line was well below the hashed area, it was just a few mm above the tip of the dipstick.

I added approximately another 1/2 qt to bring it back in the hashed area
. SO it looks like i’m going through about a 1/2 qt every 500m.

I have to say, reading the dipstick is not an exact science. I find the oil is spread out along the length, so I’m just trying to find the highest concentration of oil over two or three measurements.

Nothing to worry about here.
It took only 1/2 qt. to raise the level from only an few mm above the dipstick tip to back in the hashed area?

Wow, I would have guessed it would take more to raise it that much...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Digitalwiz

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
I was surprised by that too. I’m going to have the oil changed at the dealer soon, that’ll be my official reset I guess.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was surprised by that too. I’m going to have the oil changed at the dealer soon, that’ll be my official reset I guess.
Make sure they put 10 qts of 5w50 in there, and also make sure they torque the filter correctly. Doing it yourself takes care of those concerns.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure they put 10 qts of 5w50 in there, and also make sure they torque the filter correctly. Doing it yourself takes care of those concerns.
^^^what he said

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Ensure you install the dipstick the same way each time.

ie: Hash marks facing the passengers side. Each side of the stick gives a different reading (on a Coyote, at least).

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

ie: Hash marks facing the passengers side. Each side of the stick gives a different reading (on a Coyote, at least).
The Australian spec engine is different due to magnetic deficiencies of the southern hemisphere. Our US models show the same reading on both sides of the stick.

Sponsored

Narwaniec594

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
17 Gt350
Never believed that 1qt per 500 is normal. Like manual says 1qt per 500 is normal but for high performance, high rev, engine braking - driving style. And i can see 1qt burned in 500 track miles. But not commuting to work. Now way. Especially when some cars burn no oil and then they start burning oil afte 2-3k miles or more.something is wearing out faster then it should.

Found this on gt350 facebook page, some guy commented about oil consumption....interesting. i dont know if its true, bit at least promotes my thinking . what you guys think?
Screenshot_20190806-230951_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Never believed that 1qt per 500 is normal. Like manual says 1qt per 500 is normal but for high performance, high rev, engine braking - driving style. And i can see 1qt burned in 500 track miles. But not commuting to work. Now way. Especially when some cars burn no oil and then they start burning oil afte 2-3k miles or more.something is wearing out faster then it should.

Found this on gt350 facebook page, some guy commented about oil consumption....interesting. i dont know if its true, bit at least promotes my thinking . what you guys think?
Screenshot_20190806-230951_Facebook.jpg

Wow !! This interesting and actually makes sense. Does anyone know if this is a reasonable explanation why these Voodoo's are failing so inconsistently ?

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid

So which side is the correct reading. One side reads between the holes the other at the bottom hole. I see the same difference facing the dipstick front to rear.
Sponsored