Sponsored

With all the recent talk of unplugging the "nanny plug", I wouldn't recomend it.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I have to disagree. I watched the entire process. No fuses pulled. No harness unplugged. The car dyno went on without a hitch.

To my knowledge, you iterally can’t run the car on the dyno with it plugged in unless you pull the fuses, which is effectively the same thing.
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have to disagree. I watched the entire process. No fuses pulled. No harness unplugged. The car dyno went on without a hitch.
Interesting. I really would’ve thought the TC would perceive it as wheelspin and try to compensate.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was the same process with my 17 GT350. No fuses pulled no harness unplugged. Dyno run no issues.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It was the same process with my 17 GT350. No fuses pulled no harness unplugged. Dyno run no issues.
This is intriguing.
A mates car lost the plot completely with the plug still connected.
From memory, mine didn’t like it either (I could be wrong, it was a long time ago).
Bear in mind, neither of them were on stock tune files for what it’s worth.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. Maybe a 16 model year vs 17-18? I see your signature has a 16 listed. Not sure about your mates.

This is intriguing.
From memory, mine didn’t like it either (I could be wrong, it was a long time ago).
Bear in mind, neither of them were on stock tune files for what it’s worth.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Maybe a 16 model year vs 17-18? I see your signature has a 16 listed. Not sure about your mates.
His was an earlier build date by a few months.
Both are Aussie cars (RHD), not that it should make a difference (but could, given the slightly different performance pack thing they do over here)

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
This is intriguing.
Bear in mind,

neither of them were on stock tune files for what it’s worth.
I have a feeling it is worth A LOT...

Sponsored

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
Not unplugging shit. My car has tried to kill me many times in third gear, with Advancetrac disabled; I can’t imagine that any TC is activating with the car in this configuration.

Furthermore, nothing was unplugged and no fuse was removed, when I dynoed it

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not unplugging shit. My car has tried to kill me many times in third gear . . .
. . . while doing exactly what you told it to do with your right foot.

Norm

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Not unplugging shit. My car has tried to kill me many times in third gear, with Advancetrac disabled; I can’t imagine that any TC is activating with the car in this configuration.
You can't imagine TC coming back on ? It happened to me 3 times Sunday before last one. Your car trying to kill you isn't a problem with the car.

MikeyPee

dissmember
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 IS Premium GT w/PP
. . . while doing exactly what you told it to do with your right foot.

Norm
I use my left foot : 0

You can't imagine TC coming back on ? It happened to me 3 times Sunday before last one. Your car trying to kill you isn't a problem with the car.
True. I wasn’t claiming there was something wrong with the car, only that unabated wheelspin and sideways movement is an indication that traction control is likely disabled.

Morgaj02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So I've been seeing a lot of talk of the plug that completely disables the traction and stability control. I'd also seen talk of it on youtube etc.

I decided to try it out to see if i noticed a difference compared to just using the button to disabling traction control or advancetrac. Ya know, science. I didn't notice a difference, from a stop, from a roll, or highways speeds as far as response or speed. The ole butt dyno didn't notice anything, who knows if I'm right.

The one thing that did happen. The very first startup after unplugging the harness behind the air box. Upon startup I had a message that said "Steering Assist Fault Service Required". Of course the advanctrac and traction lights were lit up. Figured it was a weird way of the car saying you don't have any help if things go bad. I didn't worry about it as I've heard people drive with this unplugged, but never heard this part, and of course was not going to be an idiot.

Nothing was wrong. Steering mode was still selectable(i don't have drive modes, just steering normal, sport, and comfort) I've been driving it this way a couple days, this may have been the 3rd morning. I am backing out of my driveway this morning, and as i come to the end and go to turn, i don't have power steering, i also didn't have the steering mode selectable, it was stuck on normal. It had been fine for a couple days with the warning, but functioning correctly otherwise. So i pull over in the neighborhood, shut down the car. I plugged the nanny plug back in. Started up, and it was still seeing the fault. Turned the car off again at the next light gave it about 10 sec, turned it back on, same thing. So i just drove to work without power steering, no big deal, figured it would fix itself while driving. It did not. Sat for around 4 hours at work and when i started it up, it was fine, no warning, steering working again. Probably didn't need 4 hours, but more that a minute or so it may have been required

IDK, I just wouldn't recommend that you unplug it. Obviously i don't think any harm was done. Not like power steering is 100% necessary, but it sure didn't feel as good without it. But no need to deal with that, especially if it would have happened mid turn or something.

I have read of the steering fault just happening randomly(after looking today), but doubt it was random as it was directly correlated with the unplugging. Then being plugged back in.

Anybody else have this issue, from what I've seen nobody mentioned this happening to them when unplugging the connector. Aren't one or two of you running it unplugged all of the time?
EDIT: Found this online. My wrench was not lit up, but advancetrac and traction lights were.
maxresdefault.jpg

Hello
Returned to FLA to drive 2017 Mustang home.
It sat untouched for 2 months
Jumped in and it started without difficulty
Immediately had 2 messages
Traction Control off and Power steering assist fault
WTF
Popped the hood noticed some chewing from some type of critter, yikes.
It had chewed this a little wire ("nanny plug") which is just a loop wire and it had also chewed some foam stuff on top of the motor.
No one at dealership knew what it was- (WPT971 maybe)
After searching web, I found your post.
After some MacGyvering (popped out old wire and pins and replaced and spliced new wire together to create loop)
Plugged back in and traction control went away immediately.
Power steering fault still present.
Stayed patient
Went to dinner (nice treat first time in two months dine in that is!)
Came out after 90min
Power steering fault gone and drives like new.

Thank you!!!
Saved me $ - who knows what dealership would of charged after the $135 diagnosis fee
Sponsored