Sponsored

Oil change

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
Just tried ordering another one on Amazon, currently unavailable.
Sponsored

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I don't know - I'm with GrabberBlue on this one. Think about it - Ford replaces a bunch of engines for failures that we won't understand - some say "oil pump gears", some say "oil pan pump seal", others say "spun bearings". In any case, they're all oil supply related and nobody actually knows what's causing them. Then Ford comes out with a new, metal reinforced, oil filter element for cars that take the cartridge filter. It's pretty easy to connect the dots.

There's no way I'd run any aftermarket filter on any Voodoo engine. Magnuson Moss can't protect you if the filter core collapses and it turns out that the failed filter is the reason your engine needs replacing.
Now what about us folks who have the older spin on filter design. If the filter media inside it questionable?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Now what about us folks who have the older spin on filter design. If the filter media inside it questionable?
During the five-year power train warranty, if the filter says "Motorcraft" anywhere on it, then that issue would be 100% Ford's problem. I really prefer it when it's their problem, don't you?

I wouldn't worry too much about the spin-on filters. They were tested to death when the Voodoo was developed. Ford switched to a cartridge filter when it became obvious that folks doing oil changes didn't seem to have the tools or perhaps the inclination to torque the FL2069's properly, leaving them hand-tight and ready to fall off a few weeks after an oil change. Spin-on filters were in production for just over a year, then came the cartridge revolution. While cartridges don't fall off, they may not have had the same level of testing as the spin-ons either. After a year of the original cartridge, we now have a new metal-reinforced version with an unobtanium core. It's unlikely that this was an accident, so presumably at least some of the failed engines were the inspiration for a stronger filter design.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
During the five-year power train warranty, if the filter says "Motorcraft" anywhere on it, then that issue would be 100% Ford's problem. I really prefer it when it's their problem, don't you?

I wouldn't worry too much about the spin-on filters. They were tested to death when the Voodoo was developed. Ford switched to a cartridge filter when it became obvious that folks doing oil changes didn't seem to have the tools or perhaps the inclination to torque the FL2069's properly, leaving them hand-tight and ready to fall off a few weeks after an oil change. Spin-on filters were in production for just over a year, then came the cartridge revolution. While cartridges don't fall off, they may not have had the same level of testing as the spin-ons either. After a year of the original cartridge, we now have a new metal-reinforced version with an unobtanium core. It's unlikely that this was an accident, so presumably at least some of the failed engines were the inspiration for a stronger filter design.
It seems that all of these filters are hard to find. My dealer snagged 3 of the old style for my 17 and marked them
Down to 19 each- little pricey but I have spares

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just to play devils advocate...I mean, since we're all just speculating anyways...keep in mind many other engines/cars take the 2062 filter. And obviously all those will now back spec the 2087. It's not like that filter was made from the finest locks of unicorn mane hair specifically for this engine in the first place (that comment was because I know there are folks out there that believe it). It could be a whole host of reasons that drove the filter update, even none related to the 5.2. I would also tend to think if they suspected a fault with the old filter contributing to something else, there would have been a service bulletin or something saying don't use it, but maybe not, IDK.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just to play devils advocate...I mean, since we're all just speculating anyways...keep in mind many other engines/cars take the 2062 filter. And obviously all those will now back spec the 2087...
This makes sense, but according to the 2020 Explorer Owner's Manual, the new 3.0 liter Ecoboost takes a 2062. It might take a year to catch up, but for now it's still the original cartridge filter.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I may have missed it, but $30+ for a 2087. Two local dealers only had one in stock. Parts guy thought it weird they only ordered one in instead of a case. Between the two dealers, no one had a clue about 2087 replacing 2062, 2062 going away, or anything even remotely related.

And a guy from the shop was standing there while I was talking to then parts guy and he didn’t know any info either. He was super nice enough to run a report on my VIN and it turned up nothing.

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I may have missed it, but $30+ for a 2087. Two local dealers only had one in stock. Parts guy thought it weird they only ordered one in instead of a case. Between the two dealers, no one had a clue about 2087 replacing 2062, 2062 going away, or anything even remotely related.

And a guy from the shop was standing there while I was talking to then parts guy and he didn’t know any info either. He was super nice enough to run a report on my VIN and it turned up nothing.
It's entirely possible that the 2087 will only be homologated for the GT350 and GT500, leaving the 2062 for EcoBoost and other engines running smaller oil pumps and lower viscosities. I know I speculated about engine failures in the field affecting the filter design, but it also occurred to me that if the GT500 uses the same filter housing, it could be that the 2062 couldn't withstand the extreme cold start testing with the big oil pump and 5w50 at -20 degrees. It's unlikely that Ford would have redone this specific test on the GT350 when they changed the filter spec - that filter had already been through that test on other engine families. The first time there would have been a full-blown cold start test cycle would have been on the new GT500 engine.

It's all speculation and it's all in fun, but it gives us something to talk about :)

Last edited:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It's all speculation and it's all in fun, but it give us something to talk about :)
HA! Great attitude and I completely agree!!

I did get to hold both side by side today. It’s certainly different and more robust than the 2062. I’ve got an Amsoil on the way. Gonna inspect it as well. Even though the inside structure of the Amsoil is still a plastic cage, you can tell from photos that it’s still also more robust than a 2062. Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong either way (Amsoil vs 2087 that is ;)

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
+20k miles. No issues with the 2062. I can spare one or 2 I guess. But probably not worth it to ship vs waiting for them to come in stock... or the new one.
image.jpg

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This is just a stupid random thought (cause I’m working in the garage drinking a few beers), but does anyone else find it odd in comparison that the oil filter for our cars is sooooo dang tiny for 10 friggin quarts of oil? Cartridge or spin-on 2069 irrelevant?? I mean, back in the day, you had a huge FL-1A for five quarts!!!

AND another thought...we all know the 2062/2087 is not made from the braided hairs from the mane of a Unicorn that only lived in utopia because it’s used on many other vehicles, BUT, the spin on 2069 bears this sticker, which makes me think it possibly was made JUST for this car!!

Things to ponder!

OK...back to my beer and rearranging my new tool box.
395FAE4F-A4EB-41C4-9135-17BE907F45C9.jpeg
Sponsored