Sponsored

Looking for opinions on Carvana's offer on my GT

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I just filled out the offer form with Carvana. My 16 GT Base with Performance package has right at 55k miles. It has a little curb rash on one wheel, some tiny rock chips, and a shallow dent with scuff (PDR said they could fix it for $125) and a small ding (about nickel size) right in one of the hood cowl bends that would need a body shop. Both of those were cause by a basketball goal falling on it. Otherwise, it looks great, runs great, perfect interior.

So I filled out the Carvana thing and it kicked back an offer of $21,125. Their number is based on it falling under KBB's "fair" condition value plus some additional cash (or so they say).

Opinions on that? Low, high, decent? I know it's worth more in a private sale but I'm more concerned with that offer vs trading it. I want to sell it if this offer is good vs what I would get for it if I did trade it in. I dont like the back and forth and numbers games at a dealership so I want to work a deal on a truck using nothing other than agreeing on an OTD price.

Thanks!
Sponsored

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
I bought my 2017 gt base 6 spd manual PP, February this year. It was at 47,200 mi. The dealer was going to list at 25,995. My sales guy said i should check it out. I honestly bought it before it hit the lot for better or worse. We settled on 24,000. I think it was an ok deal for a dealer CPO, and based on what i had seen posted online near me. Wasn't a better priced car within 250 miles when i was looking. This dealer is about 3 miles from my house. Not great, but not ripped off. My sales guy claim they paid 22,000 for trade. So could be in the ballpark? Just sharing my experience. Live in California, bay area for region reference.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Check your state tax laws. Some states allow you to deduct the trade in from the cost of the vehicle when you pay the tax. That is a cost savings you won't get if you sell to Carvana and then go to a dealer to buy another car.

SDAMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Check your state tax laws. Some states allow you to deduct the trade in from the cost of the vehicle when you pay the tax. That is a cost savings you won't get if you sell to Carvana and then go to a dealer to buy another car.
That’s a great point, we saved a couple grand in tax that way. Wasn’t even aware that was a thing until recently.

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a good online calculator to help figure out the tax differences of trading vs selling at specific prices? I no so smart with maths

Sponsored

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Thanks for the reply. I actually found out about that a few weeks ago, an also found out Kentucky is one of only eight states that don't have that benefit. :(

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Thanks for the reply. I actually found out about that a few weeks ago, an also found out Kentucky is one of only eight states that don't have that benefit. :(
Damn that sucks. In your case the Carvana offer might be the way to go. Your only other option would be try to sell it yourself but that's a pain in the ass and it seems like most calls are from bs artists wasting our time and no money in their pocket.

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
I sold my car to Carvana about a month ago. I went to several dealers, Carmax, etc. Carvana offered by far the better deal. I could have sold private, but I don't care for the hassle.

It was probably the smoothest car transaction I'd ever done. I submitted the documents, then shortly scheduled an appointment for them to come to grab the car. I got a call the day before the scheduled pickup that they were behind and asked if I could drive it to them (They would provide a $50 VISA card and a uber back home). When I arrived, they offered food/drinks while I waited for a representative. When it was my turn the guy happened to own a 16 GT and mentioned that I was the 4th mustang brought to him that day. He took the car for a 1-mile test drive and had me sign three papers, and I was ubered home with my $50 visa.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I sold my car to Carvana about a month ago. I went to several dealers, Carmax, etc. Carvana offered by far the better deal. I could have sold private, but I don't care for the hassle.

It was probably the smoothest car transaction I'd ever done. I submitted the documents, then shortly scheduled an appointment for them to come to grab the car. I got a call the day before the scheduled pickup that they were behind and asked if I could drive it to them (They would provide a $50 VISA card and a uber back home). When I arrived, they offered food/drinks while I waited for a representative. When it was my turn the guy happened to own a 16 GT and mentioned that I was the 4th mustang brought to him that day. He took the car for a 1-mile test drive and had me sign three papers, and I was ubered home with my $50 visa.
I don't think I've read anything bad about them. I have the damage on my car but I think the questions you answer are basically just to help them determine if it falls under poor/fair/good/excellent ratings on KBB. It listed mine as fair based on my answers, which really doesn't feel all that accurate to me. The car is fantastic aside from the small amount of damage. But, the difference between fair and good wasn't all that big a deal.

I've got an offer out to a dealer on a Tundra. I told them I intended to have the Mustang gone before I have to make another payment, which was yesterday. Said if they couldn't match Carvana's offer I would go ahead and sell it instead of trade. That'll also put my purchasing plan past the end of the month and I expect prices to go back up unless some great incentives pop up since the new trucks should be on lots soon. Well see I guess.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I've sold, traded, and bought cars through Carvana.

While I cant tell you if that purchase offer is fair I can attest that the experience is great.

I sold my Golf R to them and they scheduled a pickup date and showed up at my house with a flatbed, 6 documents, and a check for me within 5 minutes of the scheduled time.

I signed the documents, they gave me the check for the excess purchase price beyond what I owed, and they took the car away. They paid off my loan balance within a week.

I'd recommend them to anyone.

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS

What about your mods?..did you remove them or most of them? ...or do they even look for them?

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
i filled out the form they offered 26.4k on my 16 premium pp. I would take that all day for the car stock.

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
What about your mods?..did you remove them or most of them? ...or do they even look for them?
I removed everything but the exhaust/lowering springs/sway bars. In my case, they didn't look under the hood, or honestly really anywhere. They circled it quick, then took it on the short test drive and that was all.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
They circled it quick, then took it on the short test drive and that was all.
I'm surprised they even test drove it lol.

Both cars I've sold/traded to them they just loaded them onto the flat bed and left.
Sponsored