2019 Mustang GT Engine Tick

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 10R80 201A
I want to buy my first mustang gt and really scared about the engine ticking issue in 2018 and 2019 mustangs. Is it still better to buy the car? What is causing this issue in Mustangs?
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
2019 GT here with a tick. It doesn't bother me and the car runs amazing. My tick is only occasional, and it seems mostly when I first turn the car on or I hear it on very short trips. Once it warms up I don't hear it anymore. I say go for it. It's a characteristic of the car. ;)

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hey Nick,

Welcome to the site.

Right at the top of this forum is a really large and detailed thread regarding the “tick” for 2018/19’s:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...iter-tick”-is-a-normal-characteristic.116925/

Definitely read it; you’re gong to see that many S550 18/19 owners don’t have any issues regarding anything major (catastrophic) with the Gen3 Coyote. Early on there were a few issues, but since that thread was posted, there are really more positives than negatives. Also remember your only getting a sampling from just this site, not all 18/19 5.0 owners are members of this site.... so take that into consideration that thousands of 18/19’s have been sold and are running just fine (even being abused at nationwide and worldwide tracks).

:)

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
2019 Mustang with 5,500 miles. It rattles and I've heard the "tick" here and there. It doesn't consume oil, isn't down on power, so I'm not worried. Seems to just be the motor.

If you are overly concerned you can get an extended warranty for not a ton of money. I got one and I'd recommend it to others.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ahh, the tick thing.

If you read on a lot of different forums you will find most vehicles with GDI (gasoline direct injection) can "tick". This is the GDI pump doing what it does, which is normal.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It’s a feature not a flaw.

Seriously the tick has been around since 2011. 2018+ Plastic oil pan makes it louder.
Consensus is rattle is DI pump.

Just by the car. The 18-19 is a phenomenal engine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
Hey Nick,

Welcome to the site.

Right at the top of this forum is a really large and detailed thread regarding the “tick” for 2018/19’s:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...iter-tick”-is-a-normal-characteristic.116925/

Definitely read it; you’re gong to see that many S550 18/19 owners don’t have any issues regarding anything major (catastrophic) with the Gen3 Coyote. Early on there were a few issues, but since that thread was posted, there are really more positives than negatives. Also remember your only getting a sampling from just this site, not all 18/19 5.0 owners are members of this site.... so take that into consideration that thousands of 18/19’s have been sold and are running just fine (even being abused at nationwide and worldwide tracks).

:)
This is awesome! Thank you!

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, watch this video from a builder who knows what they're talking about instead of listening to anyone on either side of the argument.

Man, this is spot on!

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
nick20s,

If you read about ANY vehicle on the internet, you would not buy anything, you'd be taking the bus. The 2018-2019 has a plastic oil pan as others have pointed out and I (a long time mechanic with a mechanical US Patent) feel allows more of the GDI sound to permeate through this pan.

Based on my ownership of a 2018GT/A10, I can say the 2018 with the engine upgrades is awesome. The A10 is a marvel as well.

OP
OP
nick20s

nick20s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stangfan
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, watch this video from a builder who knows what they're talking about instead of listening to anyone on either side of the argument.

From the video, what conclusion can we draw for new buyers
nick20s,

If you read about ANY vehicle on the internet, you would not buy anything, you'd be taking the bus. The 2018-2019 has a plastic oil pan as others have pointed out and I (a long time mechanic with a mechanical US Patent) feel allows more of the GDI sound to permeate through this pan.

Based on my ownership of a 2018GT/A10, I can say the 2018 with the engine upgrades is awesome. The A10 is a marvel as well.
So glad to hear that from an accomplished mechanic! What are your thoughts on this video link below? I’m not really clear on the conclusion by the experts here, if you could elaborate, I would really appreciate it!

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The conclusion is no one outside ford no one really knows. I don’t believe what he says in the video.

The tick starts/gets worst after and oil change. It’s always on the passenger side of the car. It does it hot or cold to some degree. Some car have very little/none, some cars tick like crazy. Has been around since 2011.

This horse has been beaten, stabbed, shot, robbed and laid to rest as a glue factory.
Sponsored