Sponsored

With all the recent talk of unplugging the "nanny plug", I wouldn't recomend it.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I would not unplug the connector and drive the car on the streets, you are asking for trouble if you do that! At the track or on a dyno it is a different story, but on the streets you are risking loosing control.
Only if you're afraid that you can't control yourself. Yeah, I realize that there are people like that . . . are you one of them?

Your car's nannies aren't there because of any chance that your car is going to spontaneously do something really stupid all by itself.

Norm
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I've only heard of doing this for dyno use, has anyone with a 15-17 ever unplugged this at a track and noticed a difference?

I went to a track rental a few years back with a bunch of other M6G guys, I ran my car probably 30+ times that day without touching that plug and I did not have any trac control interference. I know that for a fact since the first few passes I made I was spinning the tires hard in first, followed by second. Never noticed any "bog at launch" issues from not touching this.
Scientifically what you said does prove your point. Just because you didn't notice bog. Doesn't mean it wasn't there. If you would have made 15 passes with the plug installed. And 15 passes unplugged. Then you would have proof that it either makes a difference or not. On your car. As far as the plug is concerneded. Big power boosted cars will benefit much more from being unplugged. That a stock car. In my opinion.

Greyhorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
1971 fj40, 1986 fj60, 2003 f250 7.3, 1968
Vehicle Showcase
Mines a 18’ roush supercharged 301a so i have the driving modes to toggle, my first pass at the track with the plug plugged in advance trac off was faster than with the plug UNPLUGGED but it cld have heat soak spark knock who knows i wasnt data logging then, i heard it would disable the drag mode but idk. At first i thought it was slower due to unplugging it but now i know could have been a bunch of reasons why. So basically from my experience i have no idea if it helps or not cs just holding up the tcs switch till it says advancetrac off!!

Greyhorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
1971 fj40, 1986 fj60, 2003 f250 7.3, 1968
Vehicle Showcase
Mines a 18’ roush supercharged 301a so i have the driving modes to toggle, my first pass at the track with the plug plugged in advance trac off was faster than with the plug UNPLUGGED but it cld have heat soak spark knock who knows i wasnt data logging then, i heard it would disable the drag mode but idk. At first i thought it was slower due to unplugging it but now i know could have been a bunch of reasons why. So basically from my experience i have no idea if it helps or not vs just holding up the tcs switch till it says advancetrac off!!

Toy Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Guys I know mainly unplug it at the strip. I have yet to make a run with mine unplugged however.

When @Houston Kid had his car, if I recall correctly, even when he had Traction Control AND AdvanceTrac off his car still wanted to put traction control to the car when going down the track. When he unplugged it kept it off and the car ran a ton better.
I have this exact same issue. Traction control tried to override and I can’t even do a burnout without the plug pulled. My is unplugged at all times and I have zero issues.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
From keeping it unplugged I take it?
Way to completely avoid the question and deflect from you own ignorance. If you read my first post it clearly states unplug at the track. Plug back in when done. No I did not ever daily drive the car with it unplugged.

So, back to the question, have you ever run the car down the strip plugged in and unplugged. Nope you have not otherwise you would not have posted such a moronic response.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
and no air bags and seat belt laws and u could have a cold beer in the car too ...but your forgetting one huge point.....225 hp was max in us then...0-60 in seven second,,,0-100 in an afternoon..these days your 4 seconds of floorboard away from reckless driving on any road
I get cha but the LS7 chevelle was over 700hp and a handful....I wasn't a Ford guy till recently but I'm sure many of you could call an engine with more than 225hp in late 60s...I've had my 67 camaro for 30 years 1200hp F1A-94 procharged BBC on a small SS tire up the road with tune work and 3o years seat...time I had Davis TC but find I can feel it better....boost per gear and timing per gear with feel...is my method of choice.....
That said when I got my 19 a10 boosted I lost control of it several times because its not a direct 1 to 1 connection to power output...driving out of trouble is a different feel...I never hit the brakes before I always pedaled my way out of trouble....didnt work on the a10....
So while I once was a to hell with nannies kinda grey beard...I got to say it's no so much the nannies or power increase my 19 is the weakest engine at 700hp I've had in 20 years....its the disconnect from car and driver down to steering....SO I'm squarely on the fence now....the way this new car drives with half the power I'm glad there are some nannies I can definitely feel and see the adv trac trying to help in logs...
Mine did have a worst case scenario where I was demanding 100% but it decided about the top of a gear to drop throttle angle from 85 degrees to 25...dropping the nose unloading the rears shift hard then reapply full power...so off to opposite ditch it would go hehe....I'd have preferred my move throttle 1 percent it changed angle accordingly, off and on and see could I drive out of it.....so jury is still out they are a blessing and a curse....unless I could override the DBW and make it act like DBC I'd prefer to have a little help for when the programming hoses you at the worst times....

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a ‘16, manual transmission Procharger car, right around 600 WHP. I’ve never unplugged it just because. When I’m taking off in a straight line I can do burnouts all the way through 1st and 2nd gear, that makes me think timing isn’t being pulled because the engine doesn’t bog and it does let me roast tires. But when I’m trying to do a 180 fishtail from a stop I am unable to because I can’t keep the tires spinning. Wondering why straight line doesn’t seem affected by the nannies, but doing a donut is?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Unplugging an active safety system on a daily driver that disables

1.Abs
2. Traction control
3. Advanced trak witch included stability management, slide control, auto brake control for slides.
4. All car roll management gyros

Is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. I am sure the system also ties into the airbag system to some degree.
^^ Exactly. THen they think, if it works on the track, then it'll be doubly good for the street. Then boom! Instant cars & coffee youtube superstar for that .05 second gain in the 1/4 mile.
If you guys are that afraid that you can't keep yourself under control, then by all means don't ever disable any of these nannies.

If you're afraid that there's hardly any room between being completely in control during mild to moderate street driving and instant catastrophe, then by all means don't ever disable any of these nannies.

But don't pretend that your fears must be mine as well; that's not gonna happen.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But unplugging It for daily driving use in my opinion handicaps a great system.
So what's your take on relatively recent Mustangs that did not even have AdvanceTrak as an available option? Are they any worse now than they were in, say, 2008?

I can’t imagine the car is much fun on the PS4s at 55 degrees in the rain with no nannies.
I think somebody is afraid of their own shadow here. Though I guess when you have no experience with the things you're afraid of, the only thing that's left is to be afraid of them.

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Just said it but will say again.

Yaw angle sensors. Applies brakes/cut power to straighten car back out.
Thanks, makes sense for the donut attempts, I hadn’t seen your previous reply. Still curious why (in a straight line) I have no trouble spinning tires through 1st and 2nd gear with everything on, when statements up above say the car will pull timing to stop wheel spin.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
So what's your take on relatively recent Mustangs that did not even have AdvanceTrak as an available option? Are they any worse now than they were in, say, 2008?

[quoteI can’t imagine the car is much fun on the PS4s at 55 degrees in the rain with no nannies.
I think somebody is afraid of their own shadow here. Though I guess when you have no experience with the things you're afraid of, the only thing that's left is to be afraid of them.

Norm[/QUOTE]

There's people on here that use the rain/snow mode for driving on a rainy day.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Scientifically what you said does prove your point. Just because you didn't notice bog. Doesn't mean it wasn't there. If you would have made 15 passes with the plug installed. And 15 passes unplugged. Then you would have proof that it either makes a difference or not. On your car. As far as the plug is concerneded. Big power boosted cars will benefit much more from being unplugged. That a stock car. In my opinion.

From some of the replies I've seen here (and it seems to be 18-19 owners unless I missed one, which makes me think maybe Ford revamped the trac control) it sounds like even with all the systems off but the plug in, it should have noticeably cut power and prevented wheel spin.

Honestly even with all the systems on and in normal mode I notice this car allows for a lot of wheel spin, my M5 on the other hand will cut all power if it detects even a skip during a 1-2 shift.

Maybe the next time I go to the track I'll try a few passes w/ and w/o that plug and see if I notice anything different.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
Thanks, makes sense for the donut attempts, I hadn’t seen your previous reply. Still curious why (in a straight line) I have no trouble spinning tires through 1st and 2nd gear with everything on, when statements up above say the car will pull timing to stop wheel spin.
Maybe it is the non factory tune you have, they changed the limits when car is going straight, but kept the stock tune for when car goes slideways.
I was told by a member here that after he tuned his car still NA, he was able to spin the tires easily comparing it to the stock tune were he was having hard time trying to spin, in a straight line.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona