Sponsored

My first Mustang! disappointment!

falk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT Premium Fastback PP1 with all of the goodies, 06 mountaineer, 03 expedition EB, and a couple of old Clark forklifts.
Forum newbie here... I'll preface this by saying that I hate dealerships. There are some good ones out there, but I've actually had to call the cops on a dealership before for refusing to give a car back to me after a bait and switch, and my backing out of a deal. I was a youngster at the time. The cop was super cool, threatened to charge the dealership with grand theft, and I got my G2 Explorer back. It had transmission problems after a rebuild, and I needed a reliable DD. Since then, I've been driving a G4 mountaineer (mod 3V engine / 6r60 trans) and I love it... it has a cat-back, CAI, and a tune. Sadly, the 6r60 is having problems, and I plan to coyote swap the mounty, so I need a new car. I've always been a Mustang fan and a Ford guy, so I bought a black 18' GT from Carvana with 7k miles on it and the 10R80. It arrived on 7-19.

The delivery truck arrived, and I was stoked, my first Mustang! Absolutely beautiful car, and I get to go drag racing tomorrow! I ordered a 150 shot nitrous kit for it from NX, planned to install it on Saturday and run on Sunday. I've never made a nitrous pass in my life, so this was a really exciting day.

My wife got in the drivers seat first, and I had to walk her through starting the car... her DD is an 03' expedition EB, so transponder keys are a foreign concept to her. I'm also not a new car guy either, but I drive rentals when I'm on the road, so I could figure things out. She put the go pedal down and that friggin' rumble was amazing - WE HAVE A COYOTE!!! HELL YA!!!

She insisted that I drive the car first, so I did, and unfortunately I was thoroughly disappointed. Trans problems in the low gears. It felt like the the trans was slipping. My third Ford with trans problems - WTF? I was actually really surprised Carvana even sent it out to me. The delivery guy noticed this problem as well, gave me a heads-up, and said he would stick around while we drove it. Seemed really odd to have such a problem on what is basically a brand-new car, so I sent it back thinking that the original owner wrecked the trans at the drag strip. But the power was simply mind-blowing.

On to my dilemma... we Ford owners are all gluttons for punishment, and I loved the car (even with its problems) so I'm considering ordering a brand new GT... my first new car. For such a momentous occasion, I'd like to take delivery at Flat Rock and road trip the car 2000 miles back to AZ. Does anyone know what would be required to take delivery at the factory or have a friendly dealer that could arrange that? I'm considering working with an out-of-state dealer to avoid sales tax. I'm on a county island, so no use tax bills here.

I work from home, so I don't need a commuter car... plan for the car is road trips and occasional drag racing, maybe do hot rod drag week next year. Would you guys go with the 10R80 or the getrag for such a car? Also, the list of options on the new cars is extensive. For the guys and gals that live with Mustangs, what are the essentials on the options list?

Thanks in advance,

Ben (The guy who owned an s550 for 30 minutes)

P.S. - a blower is in my future... just need to get the car first! (Edit - I thought the manual option was a Tremec, I was corrected - its a Getrag - corrected my post)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

falk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT Premium Fastback PP1 with all of the goodies, 06 mountaineer, 03 expedition EB, and a couple of old Clark forklifts.
That's not going to happen
Thanks for the reply. Picking up at the factory? Or using the car for road trips and at the drag strip?

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Don't know of a single dealer or customer arranged instance of accepting delivery at Flat Rock.

There is no Tremec manual for the Mustang GT, it uses a Getrag MT-82 which has had it's own controversies. The 10 speed is the way to go since you're drag racing.

OP
OP

falk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Don't know of a single dealer or customer arranged instance of accepting delivery at Flat Rock.

There is no Tremec manual for the Mustang GT, it uses a Getrag MT-82 which has had it's own controversies. The 10 speed is the way to go since you're drag racing.
Thank you for the feedback... I have a lot to learn, thought it was a Tremec. Do you have the 10 speed? If so, how do you like it?

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
A lot of people rave about the 10 speed, especially if you’re looking to drag it.

Word of caution, don’t throw a 150 shot on the car and let it rip. You need to tune the car specifically for nitrous. 150 shot on a stock tune is asking for a disaster no warranty claim will cover for you. Nitrous is also the hardest power adder on all your drivetrain. I’ve ran it in the past (previous Mustang) and it is hard on the clutch/trans and it’s not especially difficult to pop a motor if you are not extremely methodical in learning how to use nitrous (assuming you’re a first time sprayer), properly installing and tuning for the kit.

No way in hell would I buy a NEW GT and spray it. Sucks you’ve had a rash of issues lately but I’m sure it’ll work out. A Coyote swapped Mountaineer would be sick!

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prermium A10, PP1, Magneride, 401A, B&O
Glad you got rid of the car from Carvana. I would never buy from them. It smells like high-volume auction/non-reported salvage cars. Buy new and you aren't buying someone's problems. Any new car I've ever purchased has been 100% reliable. My '19 GT is no different, albeit it's young.

I would highly suggest getting 401A. It will keep your car current for many years. I also imagine resale will be kind to those who opted for it. PP1 is also a fantastic option is you plan on doing any road courses. I do, so it was essential for me. I also got Magneride for the same reason. If you are drag-only, you can live without it. I got B&O, which is essential if you like your music loud. The stock sound system is terrible. B&O is acceptable. I would absolutely opt for active exhaust. I did not and I regret it. If you are planning on DDing, get the safe and smart package with adaptive cruise. I did not, but I don't daily mine. Glad you are going to A10 route. They've worked out the first year bugs and it's tough as nails. One thing to keep in mind- the only 2020 changes are for the WORSE. It goes from 6-way to 4-way power seats and no map holders on the back of the front seats (not exactly a game-changer). I'm not aware of any benefits of the 2020 besides different color options and it being a year newer. If you can get a new 2019 for about $5k less than 2020, I'd go that route, personally. I snagged someone's custom order which had the spoiler delete :-)

OP
OP

falk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
A lot of people rave about the 10 speed, especially if you’re looking to drag it.

Word of caution, don’t throw a 150 shot on the car and let it rip. You need to tune the car specifically for nitrous. 150 shot on a stock tune is asking for a disaster no warranty claim will cover for you. Nitrous is also the hardest power adder on all your drivetrain. I’ve ran it in the past (previous Mustang) and it is hard on the clutch/trans and it’s not especially difficult to pop a motor if you are not extremely methodical in learning how to use nitrous (assuming you’re a first time sprayer), properly installing and tuning for the kit.

No way in hell would I buy a NEW GT and spray it. Sucks you’ve had a rash of issues lately but I’m sure it’ll work out. A Coyote swapped Mountaineer would be sick!
Thanks for the reply! The Coyote Mounty is going to happen... its just a matter of time. :) I'm a nitrous virgin, so thanks for the words of wisdom. Frankly, this is/was my first muscle car, so I think I can live on NA passes for a while. I want to run low 10's eventually, but I know I'll need to build the motor for either nitrous or a blower and find a competent tuner. Know of any good chassis dyno shops? PBH seems to know their stuff, and I have spoken with them about the Coyote Mounty project. Would you consider a used Mustang with the 10 speed? I hate depreciation, which is the sole reason I've never bought a brand-new car, but man, based on the GT with tranny problems right off the truck, I think a new car might be the way to go for the warranty. 7k miles and Tranny problems! Do you think it was beat up at the track, or did I just get a bad car?

OP
OP

falk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Glad you got rid of the car from Carvana. I would never buy from them. It smells like high-volume auction/non-reported salvage cars. Buy new and you aren't buying someone's problems. Any new car I've ever purchased has been 100% reliable. My '19 GT is no different, albeit it's young.

I would highly suggest getting 401A. It will keep your car current for many years. I also imagine resale will be kind to those who opted for it. PP1 is also a fantastic option is you plan on doing any road courses. I do, so it was essential for me. I also got Magneride for the same reason. If you are drag-only, you can live without it. I got B&O, which is essential if you like your music loud. The stock sound system is terrible. B&O is acceptable. I would absolutely opt for active exhaust. I did not and I regret it. If you are planning on DDing, get the safe and smart package with adaptive cruise. I did not, but I don't daily mine. Glad you are going to A10 route. They've worked out the first year bugs and it's tough as nails. One thing to keep in mind- the only 2020 changes are for the WORSE. It goes from 6-way to 4-way power seats and no map holders on the back of the front seats (not exactly a game-changer). I'm not aware of any benefits of the 2020 besides different color options and it being a year newer. If you can get a new 2019 for about $5k less than 2020, I'd go that route, personally. I snagged someone's custom order which had the spoiler delete :-)
Thank you for the advice! Yes, road racing is in the cars future... I'll research PP1 and the active exhaust, thanks! I know this is sacrelig, but what is an appropriate amount to pay for a 19' GT? Really looking forward to my Mustang!

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought mine in May and got $9k off MSRP. Here in the southeast, new car discounts are massive. I would target $9-10k off MSRP. For a 2020, you likely won't see prices that low for another 8-10 months. I don't know this for fact, I'm just speculating. I use cargurus.com and cars.com for looking up new prices. They show current price and MSRP. Some dealers show their rock bottom price upfront.

Sponsored
OP
OP

falk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I bought mine in May and got $9k off MSRP. Here in the southeast, new car discounts are massive. I would target $9-10k off MSRP. For a 2020, you likely won't see prices that low for another 8-10 months. I don't know this for fact, I'm just speculating. I use cargurus.com and cars.com for looking up new prices. They show current price and MSRP. Some dealers show their rock bottom price upfront.
Thanks! Can you please PM me with contact info for of your salesperson? I appreciate the guidance.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I hate depreciation, which is the sole reason I've never bought a brand-new car, but man, based on the GT with tranny problems right off the truck, I think a new car might be the way to go for the warranty. 7k miles and Tranny problems! Do you think it was beat up at the track, or did I just get a bad car?
Thing is you are buying a performance car this is not a track or a DD. This is a performance car which mean whoever buy it buy it to abuse the shit out of it. For example my ride is at 7800 km / 4846 miles. It need new break pads (road racing) and new tires (donuts) and who knows what else. And I consider my car a DD and garage queen. So the best you can do to know the story of the car is to just buy it new. Also have in mind that for the price this car is a bargain which mean that Ford cut corners to make it which mean that even a new one could have issues. But luckily there is a big after market for this car. So every problem could be solved.

OP
OP

falk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Thing is you are buying a performance car this is not a track or a DD. This is a performance car which mean whoever buy it buy it to abuse the shit out of it. For example my ride is at 7800 km / 4846 miles. It need new break pads (road racing) and new tires (donuts) and who knows what else. And I consider my car a DD and garage queen. So the best you can do to know the story of the car is to just buy it new. Also have in mind that for the price this car is a bargain which mean that Ford cut corners to make it which mean that even a new one could have issues. But luckily there is a big after market for this car. So every problem could be solved.
Sage advice sir - thanks! I'm really looking forward to the aftermarket stuff. Which car do you own if you dont mind me asking? What are the things that you love and hate about the gal?

imyopusha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
I love my 2018 A10 GT Premium. Package options and mods are in my signature below. The options are great, sound is amazing and performance is awesome! These are mid-11 cars easy with an E85 tune and a good pair of tires. There are multiple A10's doing 10.9's all motor, low 10's to upper 9's with forced induction. So your inner speed demon will be happy! Definitely recommend the first mods you get to be an E85 tune from Lund and a Steeda IRS lockout kit(or one from BMR). They really wake the car up and help it put the power down. Also, do NOT get a CAI, just opt for a drop-in K&N or aFe filter instead, the stock airboxes for the 2018+ are very efficient and have the lowest IATs

Good luck!
Sponsored