Clear Coat Scratches

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Guys my car is about two months old now. Since the beginning I noted light clear coat Scratches all over the car at dealership and I should have not asked them to clean it and buff it out I think they made it worse. It is black so it shows everything.

I have clay bar and waxed the car but you can still see fine clear coat Scratches all over the paint. I don't want to take it back to dealer because they are useless.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Go buy you a random orbital from harbor freight and some lake country orange pads with some Hdspeed. Learn to polish

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, light poish or something like scratch-x seems to be pretty good. I used scratch-x on a few Audis I owned for very light scratches and it done the trick. Or maybe get a stage 2 correction done if they are bad?

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Take it to a professional detail place and they can do a paint correction. I think they basically wet sand it out. They do this stuff all the time to prep the car for stuff like ceramic coating.

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Like a few of the others mentioned, you will need to polish the car. Lot's of good info on YouTube if you want to do it yourself. Scott with Dallas Paint Correction & Auto Detailing is one channel. My preference is Sonax Perfect Finish for a one-step correction.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Claybar is not going to get scratches out, claybar is an abrasive in itself and is used to pull contaminates out of paint. Anytime you make contact with the clear coat you run the risk of introducing swirls. That is just a fact of life.

I highly suggest getting in touch with Scott of Autodermatology and just have him do a full correction + ceramic coating of your car. This guy is beyond legit when it comes to detailing and works on cars many times the value of ours. With all due respect, your detailing skills appear to be on the beginner side of things, you don't want to experiment on your new car and end up making the paint worse than when you started.

http://www.autodermatology.com/

Here is a 2019 GT350 he recently did

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2019-gt350.1176669/

This Jaguar should show you exactly how capable Scott is

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2008-jaguar-xf-supercharged.1172699/

I promise you, whatever he charges it's worth. I've spoken w/ him plenty of times on SVTP just looking for info on methods, if I lived in FL I'd be making the drive to him.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you decide not to have a professional job done, there is a lot of satisfaction in acquiring the equipment and skills to bring a black car back from Swirl City. If it's important enough to drive you into the Land of Great Finishes, there are worse ways to spend your time (and money).

The first thing to learn after being equipmentally ready, is you need one more piece of equipment. The guy who was Meguiar's hero teacher a few years back recommended a dedicated bright LED light. You shine it on the spot concerned; before, it looks like an explosion in a fog factory; after, it's mirror-like. I just used a small digital camera. The flash, properly placed in relation to the image frame would reveal all, either perfection or more work to be done.

With regard to polishes, I'm convinced any of the major brands, used according to instructions—from the makers and other experts—will do a fine job. My advice is find products with what you consider the most agreeable odor, and you'll be a happy detailer.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
First of all - do this yourself. Spend the money and get the equipment, because if you have a black car you will do this again. You can get everything you need for the same price as "paint correction" and you'll do a better job because you will care more than any "pro" detailer.

Get a Porter Cable ROB, the backing plate, Clay bar, Lake country Orange Pad, White Pad, and gray/black pad, A cutting polish, a finishing polish, a sealant, and good wax, along with waffle MF towels to dry and really good MF buffing towels to wipe off the product. Also wash your car with at least 4-5 MF mitts - once used on a section of the car, do not reuse until washed. check out autogeek for advice.

It will be a 10-12 hour job to do it right, but maintenance after will be easy.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
If you decide not to have a professional job done, there is a lot of satisfaction in acquiring the equipment and skills to bring a black car back from Swirl City. If it's important enough to drive you into the Land of Great Finishes, there are worse ways to spend your time (and money).

The first thing to learn after being equipmentally ready, is you need one more piece of equipment. The guy who was Meguiar's hero teacher a few years back recommended a dedicated bright LED light. You shine it on the spot concerned; before, it looks like an explosion in a fog factory; after, it's mirror-like. I just used a small digital camera. The flash, properly placed in relation to the image frame would reveal all, either perfection or more work to be done.

With regard to polishes, I'm convinced any of the major brands, used according to instructions—from the makers and other experts—will do a fine job. My advice is find products with what you consider the most agreeable odor, and you'll be a happy detailer.

Couldn’t have said it better. I honestly never cared about my paint on cars, always teased my friends that were always cleaning and detailing. I then bought a black ST and took amazing care of it and kinda fell into some sort of detailing spiral of sorts, first some Chem guys stuff here and there, videos, then forums, then Car Pro products, I spent a weekend polishing my ST and transforming the not bad paint into a mirror was addictive. Once I got the mustang I spent 2 weeks a few hours here and there polishing each and every panel and then ceramic coating it. All from videos and forums and a few local detainers and professionals that didn’t mind sharing their knowledge . I’ll never say I’m a tenth of their talent but I. 1000% happy with how my car turned out

it just sat at the dealership for a month outside and had water spots, spending the time to figure out how to properly get rid of them and polishing the car out to almost perfect without hurting the ceramic coat was challenging and kinda fun.
I’d never say dont take it to a professional but up ever hurts to learn a skill and it’s not as hard as some make it. It’s not easy, but it’s not hard, just takes time and patience

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Never buy a black car.

Never.

Ever.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
First of all - do this yourself. Spend the money and get the equipment, because if you have a black car you will do this again. You can get everything you need for the same price as "paint correction" and you'll do a better job because you will care more than any "pro" detailer.

Get a Porter Cable ROB, the backing plate, Clay bar, Lake country Orange Pad, White Pad, and gray/black pad, A cutting polish, a finishing polish, a sealant, and good wax, along with waffle MF towels to dry and really good MF buffing towels to wipe off the product. Also wash your car with at least 4-5 MF mitts - once used on a section of the car, do not reuse until washed. check out autogeek for advice.

It will be a 10-12 hour job to do it right, but maintenance after will be easy.
Make sure to get several pads. I would say atleast 5 orange pads. Gonna go through them fast

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Thanks guys! I am a little pissed at the dealership to not take care of the cars and when they offered me to detail it for me I should have said no. I have all the equipment. I should have not taken the car out of the lot until they fixed everything but again now I don't even wanna see their face. I will get meguiars clearer wax and first remove the old wax and then do the correction myself.

Deleted member 35644

OP, if you're attempting to start with a clean slate for correction, wash it with Dawn or use a "start fresh" product like Torque Detail Decon Soap.
Sponsored