Sponsored

Oil monitor: Change oil soon at 1,800 miles?

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
So

what makes the rattle?
No idea. It was initially thought to be piston slap that caused damage but beyond "I have this sound" that nearly every 2018MY+ has, to "I have cylinder wall damage, it's the rattle!" that not too many have, there's no proof. Some say it's the DI pump but my DI pump doesn't have it's insulation and is a noisy sucker, but it's not it. Others think it's something rubbing up in the bellhousing, or around the transmission. I forgot the exact place, to be honest. This theory is backed up with how the sound quiets down after a car wash or storm, meaning water cushions it (which would not happen if it was in the engine). Many can also change the sound, or get rid of it all together (like me) by moving the shifter a certain way when the car is in gear.

In all likelihood there's similar sounds at play, with the one that causes no issues being the most common, if not on all of these cars. I have yet to hear a video of a car that did not have a rattle. I've seen videos that people post saying they don't have the rattle, only to hear it in said video, so there's that. Who knows. I had my engine replaced due to camshaft damage and the engine sounded like a rattling nightmare with a significant loss of power at random moments. I often listen to my old vids of the engine if I ever start to get paranoid with the new engine (which has a rattle, bbq tick, and a chirp from the chain tensioner) to ease my mind.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The rattle and tick are both considered normal by ford, even gt350 has the rattle. The 2k rpm rattle is nothing to worry about ive had both and never had any issues for 11500 miles of redlining an e85 tune like 5-20 times every day. Ceratec fixes the tick but the rattle is normal and I do not know of any fixes for that but its not even an issue.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
All the main issues with the 2018/2019 were associated with the rattle.
Sorry thought you had more to offer on the main issues than...
It was initially thought to be piston slap that caused damage but beyond "I have this sound" that nearly every 2018MY+ has, to "I have cylinder wall damage, it's the rattle!" that not too many have, there's no proof. Some say it's the DI pump but my DI pump doesn't have it's insulation and is a noisy sucker, but it's not it. Others think it's something rubbing up in the bellhousing, or around the transmission. I forgot the exact place, to be honest. This theory is backed up with how the sound quiets down after a car wash or storm, meaning water cushions it (which would not happen if it was in the engine). Many can also change the sound, or get rid of it all together (like me) by moving the shifter a certain way when the car is in gear.

In all likelihood there's similar sounds at play, with the one that causes no issues being the most common, if not on all of these cars. I have yet to hear a video of a car that did not have a rattle. I've seen videos that people post saying they don't have the rattle, only to hear it in said video, so there's that. Who knows. I had my engine replaced due to camshaft damage and the engine sounded like a rattling nightmare with a significant loss of power at random moments. I often listen to my old vids of the engine if I ever start to get paranoid with the new engine (which has a rattle, bbq tick, and a chirp from the chain tensioner) to ease my mind.
I’ve seen plenty of posts here were the 2k rattle that sound exactly like mine but not labeled as the 2k rattle were fixed by a simple cure and apparently a mfr’ing issue very common and not engine or Trans or block plate related going back a few years of production. Plenty of post calling out the rattle that sound nothing like what I here regularly too. When you have it ...you will know.
I’ve noticed the rattle initially starts at 2k range but over time goes from idle to 3kish. Mine initially started becoming apparent in the 2k window but now has a much wider margin. Hot or cold plays no effect like others describe there’s does.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Mine came on at about 3800 miles, but 1 year to the day since I bought the car new. I used Motorcraft syn blend and Motorcraft filter. I don't have tick or knock and keeping to recommended fluids just in case.
Sponsored