Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Interesting tidbit I read: the top of the valve covers on the engine sit below the top of the 20 inch rear tires.
If that's the case that's is truly amazing. Where did you see that?
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Interesting tidbit I read: the top of the valve covers on the engine sit below the top of the 20 inch rear tires.
I haven’t seen that but it would not surprise me. Remember, this is OHV, so with no cams in the head, the head profile is pretty low. Plus being spread out in a 90-degree V plus GM having stated that they have lowered the engine position (though the quote I read didn’t include the tire reference)....it seems doable.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I haven’t seen that but it would not surprise me. Remember, this is OHV, so with no cams in the head, the head profile is pretty low. Plus being spread out in a 90-degree V plus GM having stated that they have lowered the engine position (though the quote I read didn’t include the tire reference)....it seems doable.

In his description

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
GM said it in the initial press release. Another tidbit I found interesting was that before they fitted seats, they made sure they had an exact calculation as to where the center of gravity is for the car so that they could sit the driver right on it. Really should make for an incredible car to drive.

Now, IF ONLY I COULD GET IT IN A MANUAL!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Incorrect... talk to the big track rats. Wheels absolutely are disposable on a track car. That's why racing teams typically only use a set of wheels for a few races at a time
Racing teams? What are you even talking about? How often do you replace your wheels? I can tell you I've never had to replace a set of wheels, and I've been driving for over 35 years. I've had one rim replaced for free by Ford due to some cosmetic damage that occurred during shipping, but that rim didn't need to be replaced. It just had a little scratch on it.

So I think my statement was 100% correct. Wheels typically aren't a wear item. Not like brakes, for instance.

Yes I understand if you really hammer on a car you can end up damaging rims, but the TYPICAL user is not going to need to replace rims ever.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Is that an S197? It doesn't look like an S550 to me.
Or a photoshop?
Geezus, red start button aside it's what comes with the 'base' cars even with Perf Pack1.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Why not buy cheap Chinese wheels because nice Forgelines or BBS wheels are way more expensive to fix or replace? How many people plan on curbing and damaging wheels?
I gladly use sub-$200 wheels. Some of them even claim to be roto-forged. It has nothing to do with 'planning' to do damage - it just happens. I curbed my 1LE wheels pulling into the ATM lane. Very unhappy about that. But I hate black wheels so loss of resale value aside, they were going to get tossed anyway.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Geezus, red start button aside it's what comes with the 'base' cars even with Perf Pack1.
You are right. I guess it's been quite a while since I looked at a base Mustang interior and I forgot what they look like.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
GM said it in the initial press release. Another tidbit I found interesting was that before they fitted seats, they made sure they had an exact calculation as to where the center of gravity is for the car so that they could sit the driver right on it. Really should make for an incredible car to drive.

Now, IF ONLY I COULD GET IT IN A MANUAL!
Oh, they will. Just like the GT500 will down the road.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Probably best to wait anyway, given it's the first year of a new design - give them time to work out the bugs, add a few features, etc.

I waited on the S550 until after the '18 refresh for the same reasons and I'm glad I did (A10, Magneride, etc.).

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Probably best to wait anyway, given it's the first year of a new design - give them time to work out the bugs, add a few features, etc.

I waited on the S550 until after the '18 refresh for the same reasons and I'm glad I did (A10, Magneride, etc.).
No kidding, the Magneride on the GT really boosted it towards the GT350 in handling.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated