Sponsored

Error codes during CA smog check

enthusiastic9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350®
I just got back from a smog check place. CA requires every vehicle bought out of state to go through this.

I have only 18 miles so far and it failed. I know people have said you need to drive it for a few miles before the ECU can learn stuff. But what got me worried is the code P0630: VIN not programmed or incompatible - ECM/PCM. Has anyone come across this?

upload_2019-7-20_11-2-7.jpeg
Sponsored

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Probably needs 100 mikes or so to get all of the readings to set. The exact amount friends on type of driving, but do a mix of street and highway and should be fine.

Find a ‘no pass, no pay’ smog shop do you do not have keep paying each time you go. Car will pass once it gets enough miles on it to set all of the numbers.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Depending on your driving style, itll take about 100 miles for everything to come online. I drove aggressive, so when I came back @ 100, it wasn't ready yet. Ended up taking it back at 500mi just to be sure and it passed. I don't think youll have to go that high though.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
You need to talk to a dude who knows a dude. I have sought the help of this dude who helped me on any occasion.

Reactions: TKC

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Buy a (cheap) a OBDII checker on Amazon, check that all monitors are set and ready except
Evap, that one can be not ready. On the VIN, see if they can enter it manually from the vin plate at the dash, not read off the bat code vin. Maybe a error on bar code a difference between bar code vin and dash plate ?
Establish correct vin, and have them hand enter that one. Do many cold starts, miles are important but a couple of cold starts also. Drive city cycles as well.
Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
enthusiastic9

enthusiastic9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350®
Buy a (cheap) a OBDII checker on Amazon, check that all monitors are set and ready except
Evap, that one can be not ready. On the VIN, see if they can enter it manually from the vin plate at the dash, not read off the bat code vin. Maybe a error on bar code a difference between bar code vin and dash plate ?
Establish correct vin, and have them hand enter that one. Do many cold starts, miles are important but a couple of cold starts also. Drive city cycles as well.
Good luck.
Thanks! I did what you suggested and was about to post an update. I bought a cheap OBDII WiFi reader on Amazon and an iOS app that can read off it. Regularly checked what tests were complete. The app wasn't able to read the VIN at first but after a few miles it was able to. The app said all but Evap were ready but since that can be not ready for the smog check I took it in this afternoon and it passed! Surprisingly the report said EVAP - PASS as well. Not sure if the smog guy's device is faulty or my app/reader. I don't care since it passed.

Now my dealer forgot to include some docs required for registration in the car but he said he is going to overnight them so can't register it until the packet arrives. Thanks for the responses, everybody!

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Yes, you will need the MSO from Ford and AAA will not do dealer bought new cars.....so
you need to go to DMV. Make a appointment for DMV, they will inspect the car as well as the registration paperwork that needs to be done.

ppvsteve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM
Bringing up an old thread here but just wanted to add some info for future buyers in CA.

If you have a new vehicle from out of state you can make an appointment with the state referee and as long as your car meets CA emission standards and is under 1000 miles they will issue you a passing smog check if your monitors are incomplete. And I assume they won't care about the Permanent codes as those seem to be left over from the vehicle being built and PCM programmed.

See www.AskTheRef.org

They do not list it as one of thier services but they do do it.

Here is the language from a GM bulletin on the subject:

Customer Options to Resolve the Case of a New
Vehicle Not Being Ready for the California Smog
Inspection
When the vehicle is not ready for the Smog Inspection,
the customer has a few options to resolve the situation
as follows:
1. Obtain a Temporary Operating Permit from the
California Department of Motor Vehicles, which will
allow the customer to drive the vehicle allowing in
many cases for the problem to resolve itself.
2. The customer can work with a GM Dealer to make
sure the catalyst break-in period has completed
and the O2S/HO2S Monitor Complete has been
set to Yes, which could take 700–1000 miles of
vehicle operation.
3. In California, the customer can call
1-800-622-7733 to make an appointment with the
California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)
Referee Scheduling Center in order to get a waiver
from the Oxygen Sensor Monitor Complete
requirement.
Sponsored