Sponsored

My built 6R80 has now broken four times.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'm almost wondering if something in the case is jacked. Allowing things to flex or something breaking the secondary parts.
That's what I'm thinking and why i chose to get a new(used) trans instead of fix this one. Too many strange things have broken on it. Oil pump, snap ring, planetary. Something is wrong with this thing itself that can't be fixed lol.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I'm thinking and why i chose to get a new(used) trans instead of fix this one. Too many strange things have broken on it. Oil pump, snap ring, planetary. Something is wrong with this thing itself that can't be fixed lol.
two words "Brett Lasala.".. and call it a day...

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
two words "Brett Lasala.".. and call it a day...
Just looked him up. If he can run 8's on the track with the 6R80 I should be able to run my little P1X on the street lol

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Just looked him up. If he can run 8's on the track with the 6R80 I should be able to run my little P1X on the street lol
He just went 7.7 @ 182 at Street Car Takeover Atlanta.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Figured I would update this. I got the car back and all is running good. I'm doing a few things to help lighten the load on the trans so hopefully it wont break again. At this point I have a whole new trans minus the converter.

1. Getting it retuned in person to make sure shifting is normal
2. Reduce ~100lbs of weight (less load on the trans)
3. Swap out the 3.15 gears for 3.55 (less load on the trans)
4. Lighter driveshaft ~10lbs (less rotational weight)

Then I can drive it normally again, and then if it breaks again drive the car off a cliff lol.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
You have some terrible luck sir

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Good luck.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
How is the new trans holding up ?

I think I may be the only one on here with worse luck than you !
Lol

I was doing final tuning(new 5.2 cams )on my new predator based 5.2/GT 350 head engine before I listed my Hellion car for sale .

Made great power ~1000 whp @13psi .... but something may have broken in the trans as it threw a wrench light after last pull @17 psi (made 1100)
It has a p0706 code and now won’t start as ECU can’t tell if it’s park .

It was built 3 years ago and has made multiple low 9 sec passes but car has also been down a lot with multiple engine failures (I was hoping this would be the last motor ).

I figure finding a trans already built may be a quicker option than sending this to be rebuilt as God knows what’s wrong - may be output shaft ?
Code is transmission range sensor and Lund says it was losing signal from the output shaft on the dyno .
There is shop semi local that sells built 6r80 for $4200 with $1250 core (2995)
https://www.bcawebstore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=62

Another option is the PBH one which is $4700($1500 core )

Not sure mine will be good for a core and bedsides if it Is . I already have the clutches and IS.
I am thinking of just buying a new one and rebuilding this one and keeping as a spare (or for swap into my M6 KB car ).

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)

Lol

I was doing final tuning(new 5.2 cams )on my new predator based 5.2/GT 350 head engine before I listed my Hellion car for sale .

Made great power ~1000 whp @13psi .... but something may have broken in the trans as it threw a wrench light after last pull @17 psi (made 1100)

It was built 3 years ago and has made multiple low 9 sec passes but car has also been down a lot with multiple engine failures (I was hoping this would be the last motor ).

I figure finding a trans already built may be a quicker option than sending this to be rebuilt as God knows what’s wrong - may be output shaft ?
Code is transmission range sensor and Lund says it was losing signal from the output shaft on the dyno .

Not sure mine will be good for a core and bedsides if it Is . I already have the clutches and IS.
I am thinking of just buying a new one and rebuilding this one and keeping as a spare (or for swap into my M6 KB car ).
Trans is still holding up. Been 10-15k miles with it now. However my motor just went now so it's a lawn ornament again.

If I were you, I would replace the whole trans with a PBH one. That is what I wish I did the first time. However I would consider the billet planetary too.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Damn, sorry about your luck guys.
I’m sorta trying to be funny here. I wouldn’t say it’s about luck, I think it has to do with their join date and when they started posting in the FI section, lol. Seems like lots of carnage for the forum old timers.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I’m sorta trying to be funny here. I wouldn’t say it’s about luck, I think it has to do with their join date and when they started posting in the FI section, lol. Seems like lots of carnage for the forum old timers.
No kidding. Just about the time I’m about to hit the buy button on a supercharger upgrade I read a post like this one.

It seems the 1/4 mile focussed boosted folks are doing a LOT of this...
35FE9D91-82CC-426E-A378-FBAA223CAC36.gif

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt

Lol

Brett lasalle, He turned mine around in a few days. He’s done more of these trans and his is running 7’s. He’s better priced than pbh as well.

I shipped mine to him. Wasn’t as bad as you’d think.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Going for big power means your car spends a lot of time as a paper weight, unfortunately. Life of a racer without sponsors lol.
Sponsored