First Track Day Experience

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
He said that my brakes would not survive the day with hard braking from 120mph into turn 1. I explained that they were not street pads, but "beginner track pads" (ie stock PP pads).
Everyone I have spoken to who does track days and DOES NOT have a Mustang PP , underestimates these brakes .
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Thanks. In fact, I DID experience overheating my street pads for braking into turn 1 by the end of the final session last year, so yeah, not a good feeling.

Yeah, well, instructor #2 underestimated my car, my prep, my knowledge, and my experience of my local track. I guess it can be daunting to get into a novice's high powered car for the first time.

Scurd Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a 2019 GT PP1. Going to first track weekend next week. Worried about cosmetic damage like you mentioned. What kind of tape did you use for the front? Did it help? Any issues with removal afterwards? I have CQuartz ceramic coating on the car but that won’t stop rock chips? Lastly, did you purchase track insurance? Recommmend?
Thank you!
There is this liquid "protection film" that you can apply to your car the day before track day to help you clean the car better after the track day. It can be bought on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU4VNGZ/ref=psdc_15718521_t1_B07F3CN5CY

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
OP, will you be attending another day to Autoclub Speedway? I'm most likely going to go this upcoming August 18th, with speedventures.
My next planned event is Buttonwillow in October with NASA. I do love Autoclub Speedway, I may look into that event.

I've heard mixed reviews of Speedventures though. Some friends swear by them and some say they are super disorganized.

Scurd Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My next planned event is Buttonwillow in October with NASA. I do love Autoclub Speedway, I may look into that event.

I've heard mixed reviews of Speedventures though. Some friends swear by them and some say they are super disorganized.
They are okay. Just very crowded at times. This is probably my last track day in the summer and I will begin tracking with Speed District in Dec at Button willow.

Basically with Speed Ventures, you get 5 Sessions for the day and that's about it.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
They are okay. Just very crowded at times. This is probably my last track day in the summer and I will begin tracking with Speed District in Dec at Button willow.

Basically with Speed Ventures, you get 5 Sessions for the day and that's about it.
I think I'm going to take this summer off and then when temps get lower, I plan to go to all available NASA events in the area and work my way up the HPDE ladder with them.

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase
Track Armour works really well as a easy on/off wrap to use for track days and road trips. Def. agree that the car is quite capable in it's stock form, but there are a few simple things that can be done to help reduce worries while on track. The easiest is fluids (oil/trans/diff/brake). Keep these fresh and replace often will eliminate worry and allow you to concentrate at the task at hand. I've been looking to take steps into keeping heat out of the equation as much as possible in all aspects. That came from a few instructors I've had, but here in Texas.... it's a real concern. Other thing would be once you start to get to know the track and get a feel for what the car is wanting to do, it'll allow you to start creating consistent habits and "keys" for helping you get around the track. Start looking for markers around the track to help coordinate actions such as brake points, shifting, on/off throttle, etc etc.

Very good write up though and many of your points are spot on. Only other thing I like to do is watch other people's vids of them going around the track to a) get to know the track, b) learn how someone else attacks corners, 3) shift points. This helped me tremendously my first time out at COTA and made me fairly comfortable with the track my first time out knowing the layout already. Then when I would go back to re-watch the videos, I was able to compare my performance versus what I had already watched to see the differences overall. It's addicting for sure.

But yes, very much agree with get off the net and get on the track. Over-reading and worrying about this and that is kinda like the BBQ tick thing... too much reading, watching videos trying to identify sounds and you'd think every gen3 coyote is effected by it. Can't wait for my next event!

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
....While waiting in the hot pit line the second instructor asked how many track days I had. He immediately criticized my driving position. I had to explain that it all starts with the headrest not providing helmet clearance, which then trickles down to everything else, and that I had to compromise with the seat back angle, etc, until I can solve the headrest issue.
You can fix that by pulling the headrest out and swap it around backwards, but you'll lose most of your rear neck support. I wonder if you can "lock" the ratcheting wheel in the headrest to lock its position; then with the headrest installed backwards that would fix the clearance issue and still have neck support.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
You can fix that by pulling the headrest out and swap it around backwards, but you'll lose most of your rear neck support. I wonder if you can "lock" the ratcheting wheel in the headrest to lock its position; then with the headrest installed backwards that would fix the clearance issue and still have neck support.
I did that in the past but wanted to try it with the headrest this time. I am still searching for an old post when someone scalloped out half the foam in his headrest.

EDIT - Found the thread for modding the headrest. I plan to do this on a third headrest.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/posts/552800/
Sponsored

Last edited: