AFD ProFlex E85 Commander Journey w/ GT350

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
FYI guys, I am returning my system. I have opted to buy a bluetooth analyzer locally for $100, and a $50 content sensor so I can still have visibility into ethanol content and temperature (yes these sensors also output fuel temp).

I have a Lund FLEX tune now, and it works incredibly well. Learned alcohol % is dead on and matches with the bluetooth sensor, all the stuff around ford's flex logic not being accurate may be due to people who have cars that may have vacuum leaks or something, because it is literally dead on accurate. I have compared SCT alcohol percentage PID in LiveLink to the bluetooth sensor at various content levels and its never been off, not even by 1%. I also get the added benefit of optimized timing from the Lund tune.

Not to say AFD's system doesn't have value. Still great for folks who want zero footprint on their cars PCM, and don't want to risk their warranties. I'm sure if I had opted for the fixed harness it would have worked fine, but honestly tired of waiting, the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and now that I have seen Ford's flex logic in action, I have no reason to continue the ProFlex journey.

Thanks to all for your feedback, sometimes this is how it goes when modifying cars, its a bit of uncharted territory, and I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong. I kind of bought into the hype around Ford's FLEX logic not being accurate, but it simply is not the case.
Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
@mmakam2 , sounds good man and thanks for all your input for the proflex. for precisely the reasons you stated, the zero footprint and the warranty, is why I need to either stick with the pro flex or go back to 91 octane only. I'm hopeful the proflex works out though.

still got half a tank of 91 octane to burn off until I can really try out the new harness and e85.

hopefully others can continue this thread and post their experiences with the proflex and new harness. I certainly plan to do that.

rag11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Nice! Looks like I received my harness today, but I'm taking my car in for warranty repair of the air conditioning Friday so I'm going to wait to install it as I have everything back to stock at the moment. I'll let you guys know next week how the system works for me, and hope to see a couple of you guys posting your experiences with the repaired harness prior to that.

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
@mmakam2 , sounds good man and thanks for all your input for the proflex. for precisely the reasons you stated, the zero footprint and the warranty, is why I need to either stick with the pro flex or go back to 91 octane only. I'm hopeful the proflex works out though.

still got half a tank of 91 octane to burn off until I can really try out the new harness and e85.

hopefully others can continue this thread and post their experiences with the proflex and new harness. I certainly plan to do that.
dude, you gotta drive your shit! She wants to be driven, don't let her waste away! LOL i go through a tank every couple of days.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
FYI guys, I am returning my system. I have opted to buy a bluetooth analyzer locally for $100, and a $50 content sensor so I can still have visibility into ethanol content and temperature (yes these sensors also output fuel temp).

I have a Lund FLEX tune now, and it works incredibly well. Learned alcohol % is dead on and matches with the bluetooth sensor, all the stuff around ford's flex logic not being accurate may be due to people who have cars that may have vacuum leaks or something, because it is literally dead on accurate. I have compared SCT alcohol percentage PID in LiveLink to the bluetooth sensor at various content levels and its never been off, not even by 1%. I also get the added benefit of optimized timing from the Lund tune.

Not to say AFD's system doesn't have value. Still great for folks who want zero footprint on their cars PCM, and don't want to risk their warranties. I'm sure if I had opted for the fixed harness it would have worked fine, but honestly tired of waiting, the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and now that I have seen Ford's flex logic in action, I have no reason to continue the ProFlex journey.

Thanks to all for your feedback, sometimes this is how it goes when modifying cars, its a bit of uncharted territory, and I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong. I kind of bought into the hype around Ford's FLEX logic not being accurate, but it simply is not the case.
Exactly why I decided to go with this system due to warranty concerns. Mine has and continues to work for the one and a half years that I've had the unit installed. Until if and when I decide to really modify my car after the warranty is up in 2023, I may have to go another route. The great thing is that the system will have essentially paid for itself with the money saved when using E85 so there is no financial downside for me. The car feels stronger and runs smoother on E85 which those that run either a flex tune or the ProFlex unit, can attest to. Interested in those that do a pre and post Dyno which I did not do and I have made a few other changes that may skew the numbers over "stock". Still considering doing a Dyno on E85 this year just to see what is the car's rwhp. Hopefully this thread stays alive and more discussion is brought forth.

Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
the system will have essentially paid for itself with the money saved when using E85 so there is no financial downside for me
e85 is about 1/3 cheaper than 91 out here in so-Cal. however, e85 also gets about 1/3 less MPG than 91. so not sure if there is a financial benefit with the proflex.

rag11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I've done the math....the system would pay for itself in a year for me assuming I always used e85......its not really gonna save you money but in the end it makes it a cheap if not costless boost in horsepower.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT

That’s great you’re working on having a Bluetooth ethanol sensor hooked up, I like checking mine and making sure the AFR is in check with the ethanol percentage. Lund does a heck of a job with their tunes and they safely take advantage of all of the HP on the table. Your work and contribution to the forum has been priceless.
02AC7B6F-1978-4C54-B385-921434CDB8E5.png

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the Help Mitch! Im sure AFD is thankful for your help as well! If they are not We sure are!!! I may be getting my Tune for E85 as well!

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
That’s great you’re working on having a Bluetooth ethanol sensor hooked up, I like checking mine and making sure the AFR is in check with the ethanol percentage. Lund does a heck of a job with their tunes and they safely take advantage of all of the HP on the table. Your work and contribution to the forum has been priceless.
02AC7B6F-1978-4C54-B385-921434CDB8E5.png
Thanks yea the app I use is similar but it has fuel temp also. The GM sensors output pwm and analog voltage signal on one line. So you get two data outputs. Check Spool Performance.

Sponsored

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Thanks yea the app I use is similar but it has fuel temp also. The GM sensors output pwm and analog voltage signal on one line. So you get two data outputs. Check Spool Performance.
My sensor in the kit I have uses the GM sensor (Continental brand) too, you can swipe left on the app and get the % and temp or go to the right and it has a 93/E85 mixing calc. The way the temperature data point was explained to me is that it's for helping cold starts in the cooler months. GM uses some sort of logic to determine how to make the car start easier when temp is X degrees and the ethanol % is Y. My fuel temps on a hot day are between 114-126.

IMG_8104.PNG

OP
OP

mmakam2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
My sensor in the kit I have uses the GM sensor (Continental brand) too, you can swipe left on the app and get the % and temp or go to the right and it has a 93/E85 mixing calc. The way the temperature data point was explained to me is that it's for helping cold starts in the cooler months. GM uses some sort of logic to determine how to make the car start easier when temp is X degrees and the ethanol % is Y. My fuel temps on a hot day are between 114-126.

IMG_8104.PNG
Awesome, didn't realize the FuelIT app also had temps. My fuel temps are in the similar range as you under normal conditions, it gets into the 120-130F range if I am getting into it though.

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
My Harness arrives tomorrow @AFD the wait is killing me!

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
My Harness arrives tomorrow @AFD the wait is killing me!
i dont know what's worse, your situation or mine. i've had the new harness installed since monday. i had 3/4 tank 91 in it then, i now have 1/2 tank 91. i just cant drive it much during the week. cant wait to put in some E85!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored