How to do 0-60 better, and where in Bay Area

zsz1992418

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Triple Yellow 10AT, 301A, PP, Active Exhaust, Magneride
Bought the car almost for a year. Enjoy a lot. Stock car, never on track, mostly gentle use.

Recently get some interested on how fast the car can be on 0-60.
Not a crazy car person at all, so just did some test on street. After a few results around 5s, finally get a 4.8s someday with sport+. Slightly disappointed since spec says "under 4s" and I image a simple wot start without any special operation could easily do 4.5, but clearly I am wrong.
Then check the forum and find that 4.8 is reasonable, a lot of people get this on street.
So question: how to do it better? Techniques I learned so far:
1. Use drag stripe mode, particularly considering I have magneride.(actually I do try drag strip mode a couple times, the car becomes unstable around 20-50 MPH stage, feel like car suddenly shift off the straight direction a bit, and made me a bit nervous and release throttle a bit. This never happens with sport or sport+. But could be related to the uneven road surface.)
2. Warm the tire.
3. Reduce rear PSI to 25.
4. Find even road, track the best.
5. Try "launch control". Not sure if I understand correctly since I think this is mostly a MT technique: keep brake and do 2000-2500 rpm, then release brake, do wot.(correctly?)
6. Disable traction control. I guess this is absolutely not recommend on real street.
7. One thing I notice is really bad slip on wot start. Will launch control help reduce this? Or other technique that helps?
8. Any others?

And following question, is there a place in bay area(south bay the best) that I can do simple drag strip? Either 0-60 or 1/4 mile.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Hey I'm in the bay area as well and i think one of our best drag strips to learn at is Sonoma race way. Granted that's a bit of a hike for you but Wednesday nights anyone can drag race. It starts early and ends late and is worth the trip.

Other than that I know some of the roads down by camp liggot near Gilroy/Salinas get literally 0 traffic so it's a safe-ish place to mess around. Just get off of 101 and you'll find plenty of abandoned roads

OP
OP

zsz1992418

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Triple Yellow 10AT, 301A, PP, Active Exhaust, Magneride
Hey I'm in the bay area as well and i think one of our best drag strips to learn at is Sonoma race way. Granted that's a bit of a hike for you but Wednesday nights anyone can drag race. It starts early and ends late and is worth the trip.

Other than that I know some of the roads down by camp liggot near Gilroy/Salinas get literally 0 traffic so it's a safe-ish place to mess around. Just get off of 101 and you'll find plenty of abandoned roads
Thanks a lot! I do trying to find some abandoned road and start with that. Then maybe go to a track after becoming more confident.

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Down Hill Of Course ! :giggle:
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
San Mateo bridge, lol. Probably the straightest most sea level road in the Bay Area.

#6: you can run without traction control on the street with no problem. Just know thereā€™s no interference from the electronics if it starts to spin and itā€™s up to you to modulate the throttle. I drive with advanced track off almost every time.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
1. Donā€™t turn traction control off.
2. Donā€™t turn advanced track off.
3. Put car in drag mode.
4. Start timer
5. Push gas to the floor.

Tire pressure 32 cold per tpms. Test at 34-35 psi rear(hot tires)

This nets 4.5-4.8 consistently.

If tires and road are Hot PS4s do great.

JohnBoyNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The bad slip you are describing is most likely wheel hop.

Get the BMR CB005 and I bet you'll drop your times by 0.5 second.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The road surface is half the equation in acceleration. You need a good flat high traction surface. Also I think the timer in these cars isnt accurate. Try a dragstrip though, thats your best bet. Or are dragstrips illegal in California like most full blooded ballsy American things?

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
The road surface is half the equation in acceleration. You need a good flat high traction surface. Also I think the timer in these cars isnt accurate. Try a dragstrip though, thats your best bet. Or are dragstrips illegal in California like most full blooded ballsy American things?
Please elaborate what "full blooded ballsy American things" are illegal in California.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please elaborate what "full blooded ballsy American things" are illegal in California.
Expressing or supporting republican opinions, supporting Trump, 93 octane, e85 tunes or basically any car tune, full auto rifles, most semi auto rifles, full auto pistols and shotguns, silencers, cannons, flamethrowers, fireworks, high capacity magazines, freedom, street cars with alot of HP, cars with sound over a certain decibel level, cars and tunes over a certain emission level, most car mods, having a bonfire , I can go on for months probably.

Not to mention if you have a Trump flag you will get nunchucked in the skull or have your car firebombed by scummy oakland antifa.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
93 octane, e85, full auto rifles, most semi auto rifles, full auto pistols and shotguns, silencers, cannons, high capacity magazines, freedom, street cars with alot of HP, cars with sound over a certain decibel level, most car mods, I can go on for months probably.
Lmao. E85 is not illegal the gas station down the street sells it. Semi auto rifles are not illegal just require permits. There is no legal limit on how much hp your car can have and lastly I've had cops thumbs up my Corsa catback. Sure full auto rifles are illegal but hey not so bad.

Il take the vast opportunity, huge wages and amazing roads in exchange for not having full auto rifles. Although opportunity and high wages are probably not words most Floridians know.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lmao. E85 is not illegal the gas station down the street sells it. Semi auto rifles are not illegal just require permits. There is no legal limit on how much hp your car can have and lastly I've had cops thumbs up my Corsa catback. Sure full auto rifles are illegal but hey not so bad.

Il take the vast opportunity, huge wages and amazing roads in exchange for not having full auto rifles. Although opportunity and high wages are probably not words most Floridians know.
Insane taxes that are unheard of anywhere else in the country and insane cost of living , while also living amongst illegals and homeless shitting on the streets since you all are an entire sanctuary state with an insane cost of living. I added a ton of stuff to my prior post.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Insane taxes that are unheard of anywhere else in the country and insane cost of living , while also living amongst illegals and homeless shitting on the streets since you all are an entire sanctuary state with an insane cost of living. I added a ton of stuff to my prior post.
Lol I know you did brother and you hit the nail on the head. I knew it was politically charged all along.

Sad how we allow men in power to separate us as Americans because apparently everyone in California is the same and everyone in Florida is the same. There's propaganda on both sides. What's sad is all does is hurt us.

Take care buddy

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
California is that one cousin that does all the crazy shit everyone else might want to do, but fears the consequences too much to actually do it.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Iā€™ll say this.. Florida is the closest thing to California in the southeast. Depending on where you go thereā€™s the potential for lots of money and many different career opportunities.

South Florida being a huge example. Thereā€™s 6 million + people spread over an area thatā€™s maybe 70 miles end to end. Housing prices are stupid because we are land locked and everyone wants to move here and thereā€™s VERY little undeveloped land.

CA does suck when it comes to laws that overprotect those that donā€™t need to be overprotected. Great example is rent caps in the Bay Area where homeowners canā€™t charge more than whatā€™s mandated by law for inner city rent. Great way to have druggies and social shitheads filling your million dollar plus property blocks from the ocean. Not to mention obsurd vehicle modification laws. Yes cops may give you the thumbs up, but they may pull over a Honda driver and impound their car due to ā€œillegalā€ or non CARB approved modifications.

Not to knock the state because thereā€™s such a different between south, central and north California itā€™s like being in a different country. My brother just moved from the outer Bay Area and made a major profit on their house, which was purchased in ā€˜09. Heā€™s the lucky on in that deal, not the sucker that paid $700k for a 1,300 sq ft house built in the 1950ā€™s 45mi from the coast.

All that being said, I love it out there. I want to see more of the state and thereā€™s and endless amount of stuff to do.
Sponsored