Sponsored

2020 60k Mid-engine Corvette, what now?

MAVERICKFORD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0
That price is pretty crazy, My question is with all this change do you think they may be losing money for each base model they sell? 60k for a mid engine sports car is crazy no matter what you make of it.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That price is pretty crazy, My question is with all this change do you think they may be losing money for each base model they sell? 60k for a mid engine sports car is crazy no matter what you make of it.
They are making plenty of money at 60k. Just as much as they were at 54k with the C7. I wouldn't be surprised if they are making more than they were with the C7.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
In fairness I did say C8. It's already priced from below "$60k" so no amount of carbon fibre can justify an 800% percent mark up.

But lets say they attempted to do as you said and made something in a similar vein to the GT. It would need the heritage behind it to attract such a price tag. Chev has nothing that compares in this regard. It can't be Corvette because it's boxed in as the affordable sports car.

We're not arguing capabilities here, just desirability. People will pay half a mil for a Ford GT, and not half that for a full carbon Corvette.
People paying 2+ million for a koingsegg don't care about herritage, considering the car maker has only been around since the 90's. So spending half a mill on a GM product can happen regardless. I get your point and agree that a Corvette for $500,000 is a hard sell, but it's not impossible. I was more going off of gm could create something to fit that target group, but yes a Corvette might not be the best choice.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
2020 Corvette
vette.jpg

2019 Acura NSX
nsx.jpg

Who copied who....
I mean it's sort of similar but when next to each other they are obviously 2 very different cars. Regardless what is wrong with taking styling cues from other exotics? We all like exotics now we get the best parts of them new for sub 100k. What a great world we live in now

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

The Acura is 2.5 times the price of the vette.. $157,000... damn..

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
2020 Corvette
vette.jpg

2019 Acura NSX
nsx.jpg

Who copied who....
I mean it's sort of similar but when next to each other they are obviously 2 very different cars. Regardless what is wrong with taking styling cues from other exotics? We all like exotics now we get the best parts of them new for sub 100k. What a great world we live in now
Well they're both red, have wheels, windows. How dare GM!
May as well toss a McLaren 720, an Audi R8, and a Ferrari 488 in the mix. There’s a very fundamental silhouette that almost all mid-engine cars have. Porsche 718 and Alfa Romeo 4C probably has the most different profiles of all the mid-engine cars. They are also the smallest of the group. The rest look like an aircraft cockpit staring over a short hood with wide hips featuring huge air ducts.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
If you want performance you have to follow some rules for the best aerodynamics. On a midengine car you want the nose as flat as possible, cooling intakes in the front bumper for the front brakes and air intakes on the side for the midengine. These things give midengine cars a pretty similiar shape, no matter what carmaker you look at. If you don't see the diffrence between NSX and C8, you won't also see differences between R8, 488, Aventador, Ford GT, etc.

And if you still think the C8 looks so much like this or that car: Please show me how unique the frontends of C7, 13' Viper and Ferrari 458 are in comparison...

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Yea they copied that, and the Ferrari modena:lipssealed:

Sponsored

kev1949

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I had a 2002 c5 3lt and a ..2008 c5 3lt both purchased new.The msrp on the c6 was 53790.I find it hard to believe 60 grand on a c8.
desktop corvette.JPG

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I had a 2002 c5 3lt and a ..2008 c5 3lt both purchased new.The msrp on the c6 was 53790.I find it hard to believe 60 grand on a c8.
desktop corvette.JPG
The c8 60k model will be a 1lt not a 3lt. The 3lt will prob be in the low 70k range

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Recently sold my Vette, and will be keeping an eye on the C8. I certainly won't be getting the 2020 model, as I want to see what mechanical issues crop up with the C8. Lots of new technology in the newest gen, so I'll be keenly watching how the car plays out once they are out in the wild for a year or so.

Especially interested in the new 8 speed dual-clutch transmission. Keen to take one on a test drive.