Sponsored

Nitto nt555 G2 Tires seem to suck?

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I'm really liking my Continental Extreme Contact Sports. I don't ever drive it in the rain, but they grip very well around turns and twistys. I have extensive suspension upgrades as well. 285/35/20 in front, 315/35/20 in rear.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thanks KZ, so the general consensus I'm getting from this thread is Continentals ECS or Indy 500's are best bang for the buck and if I want to fork up the doh the Michelin PS4's are worth the money but may be overkill for an aggressive street driver. Oh, and the Nitto's do kinda suck unless you get them super wide for dry and don't drive in the rain.
I would say yes - when mine are done and I need new ones, I will try real hard to get PS4Ss again, if I am short on cash - ECS or Indy500s.

Btw - PS4S is a tire of choice for pretty much all autocrossers in the rain. I ran Toledo Pro Solo earlier in them - it was pouring, lots of standing water on a concrete. They were nothing short of _amazing_ and super predictable (so we're talking little bit beyond aggressive street driving here).

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I have 555 G2s on my old beater 03 gt because they weren't that expensive. They are junk. My 18 is currently running MPSS 275/35 in front and 305/35 rear. I had the Conti ECS before the Michelins and I actually preferred them. I went with the MPSS this time around because the MP4S and Conti ECS only came in 305/30 and I wanted a little more sidewall. MP4S, MPSS and Conti ECS are all winners, most everything else will be a step down in one area or another. Those three aren't cheap but they actually give you decent tread life. If you want stickier tires than those three you have to step up to the very low tread life tires.

mmarfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Competition Orange
I have experienced similar grip issues with my 555 G2's, but the warmer they get, the better they are. You really need it to be 80+ out to get some good grip. I drive them right above freezing sometimes and they are like driving on rocks. It's very sketchy and they spin a lot at that temperature.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
This has been a great thread with lots of good advice. Everyone using their tires in different environments and purposes, some year round.
For me its April- November in Chicago on the summer tires and Winters the rest of the time.
So Tire Rack has these prices for staggered 255/275 PP setup
MPS4 - $1200
ECS - $1000
Indy500- $800
These are my final 3. From all your comments, the ECS seems to get the most positive feedback with PS4 being the top "if you want to spend the $" , buts that only $200 more.
Decisions, decisions

Sponsored

Wylie C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got the 555’s and I hydroplaned the first day I put them on. They’ve been on the car for about two weeks now.

Granted I don’t usually take my car out in the rain but I got caught in a storm that day. I’d just gotten them installed that day and was headed to a friends and it started pouring.

I was going about 70 on a highway here that is concrete and not asphalt and has the little quieting grooves cut into it.

Pucker factor was high. My advancetrac and traction control kicked in and saved me.

In dry conditions they’re very good. No strip runs on them yet.
Concrete quieting grooves????????? Those grooves are to give the water some place to go, in an attempt to get you some traction in heavy rain

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I have run G2s and PSS with similar power levels and the G2s are a waste of time. Get the Michelins.

kirbster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Wish I'd seen this thread a long time ago. I daily drive my car in Dallas, TX with a little less than a 50 mile round trip commute. I ran 19x10 / 19x11 with 285/35 and 325/30 in Coopers and didn't like them in the rain. Then ran the same size wheels and front tires but with Nitto 305/35s in the rear. Worse than the Coopers. So I decided to go square with SVE Drift wheels and 285/35 Michelin A/S 3+. No doubts they should be much better in the rain than any summer tire. I did have Hankook Ventus V12s on drift wheels with 275/40s for about 8k miles and never had any hydroplaning issues like I did with the others. But most of those miles were in the summer.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I spin 1st with the OEM 4S’s 275 I believe they are. I spin 1st through 3rd with 305 G2’s. They are crap, but I paid 600$ for some RTR tech mesh wheels and the G2’s were on them so I’m not really complaining. I only use them for traveling. The MT Street R’s are my daily

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
Great insights.
Sponsored