Sponsored

HOW COLD IS NOT COLD ??

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Afternoon People,

Now that we have the lovely hot weather I am now felling quite hot in my car. I have the standard Air-con like the rest of you and also the cooling seats.

Over the last few weeks I have been noticing that the cold air is not really cold. Fortunately for me I have the use of my wifes Volvo and my sons fiesta and both of these cars have far colder air con than the Mustang.

Now I have checked the car over and as far as I'm aware my air con does not have any leaks, it does pump out cold air but its not freezing.

The car itself is march 2016 so should not need a re-gas just yet but if it does then will have to look into this - has anyone else had theirs re-gassed and if so was this carried out by fords or an independent company ? and what sort of cost was this ?

Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
I dont think mine is cold enough either, car has less than 8k on it and a late 2016

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Afternoon People,

Now that we have the lovely hot weather I am now felling quite hot in my car. I have the standard Air-con like the rest of you and also the cooling seats.

Over the last few weeks I have been noticing that the cold air is not really cold. Fortunately for me I have the use of my wifes Volvo and my sons fiesta and both of these cars have far colder air con than the Mustang.

Now I have checked the car over and as far as I'm aware my air con does not have any leaks, it does pump out cold air but its not freezing.

The car itself is march 2016 so should not need a re-gas just yet but if it does then will have to look into this - has anyone else had theirs re-gassed and if so was this carried out by fords or an independent company ? and what sort of cost was this ?

Thanks in Advance.
You probably have to go look for the "Evaporator core leak" thread. That's the sign of it, AC gradually getting less cold. You likely have less refrigerant in the system and therefore system is less efficient...

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Mines a late 2016 and after re-gassing twice the dealer took it in and checked the evaporator, which was leaking. Just had it changed (under warranty) and now it's nice and cold.
Seems like a standard leak test wasn't able to show evaporator leaks?
Mine was in warranty and the dealer both times did the re-gassing under warranty. I think they were going to charge £96 otherwise.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
You have a problem - the Mustang AC is very powerful and the car is sold in places much hotter than the UK where any deficiencies would soon show up

Sponsored

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
I have noticed that whilst mine is cold when driving along it is much less so when idling. Prob just airflow through the evaporator I guess but could it be that it needs re gassing? Never been done and car is just over 3 years old

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
I had to drive around for a couple of weeks without a/c while waiting for the evaporator to be changed. I noticed that the air being blown in was often quite warm, especially if parked up in the sun, or in traffic. So I suspect the aircon intake gets warmed up by that big ol' engine.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
As per Gregs24 it should be very cold. Mine is icy ❄

Parked in the sun today the car said 38C outside temp.. Within 10 minutes driving it was down to 20C inside (fan slowed right down)

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Mine was in for testing. It had so little refrigerant left they admitted there had to be a leak but couldn't find it. Testing and re-gas cost me 90. Been fine since but I've stated if it goes warm again I want it dealt with under the warranty that expired shortly after I reported it. That would be an interesting conversation.
Wouldn't describe it as icy however. Not sure it ever was, but it is cold. Heard stories of half-fills from the factory which is believable as Ford recommend a chargeable re-gas at 3 years.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Small Update on this.

Yesterday I decided to call Fords about this, was told that when the car is 3 years old it should be offered as a service on this and the cost is £199 and would refill if need be. Argued that I was never offered this at the third service and they apologised but that was that. I want to check over my service details and service book before I go back to them.

Used the car this morning and its not that cold and my cooled seats are not too cold either.

Going to check all my paperwork tonight and then call my sales guy before I take this further.

Will update further in due course.

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Been out today with external temperature showing as 31C. After a few minutes the air was too cold to stand blowing over my hands on the wheel. (new evaporator fitted last Thursday)
So a good system should be real cold.

BTW the seat coolers are entirely independent of the aircon. They have a Peltier block which either cools or heats (just reverse the current to the Peltier) and a fan in the seat circulates this air through passages in the seat.

As you're out of warranty I think I'd go and get a recharge from somewhere like Kwikfit or similar. They will do a leak test as part of the service. £129. Fingers crossed its just needs a recharge (quite likely after more than 3 years) and no an evaporator.

GW65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT auto convertible
As you're out of warranty I think I'd go and get a recharge from somewhere like Kwikfit or similar. They will do a leak test as part of the service. £129. Fingers crossed its just needs a recharge (quite likely after more than 3 years) and no an evaporator.
Or even try your friendly neigbourhood mobile air-con outfit. Mine charged £80 for the Vette, did the leak test, and put some dye in to be on the safe side.

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
Does anyone elses car when the blower is on go from a constant speed to blowing harder then settling back down again. Mime does this consistantly over every journey when I have it on

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Does anyone elses car when the blower is on go from a constant speed to blowing harder then settling back down again. Mime does this consistantly over every journey when I have it on
That sounds like the climate control process. When you first start up it will spend a little while measuring temperatures and then possibly waiting for warm or cold air to become available (ie aircon gets up to spec if cold is needed, or the engine warms up if hot is needed), when that cold or warm air is available it will blast the cabin at max flow until it gets at or near the required cabin temperature, when it will slow down so as to just maintain the set temperature.

Mine does that and it's OK.
Sponsored