GT350 Engine Refresh Time!

Tractor Junk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 16 GT350 FPRS #3, 2014 Boss 302S
For perspective, I was running at NCM this weekend (3.2 miles, 23 turns). 100 degree weather, 110 degree heat index. Engine oil temps were in the 290+ degree range all day, and I had 3 fans cooling the car between sessions. I wasn’t able to complete a single 30 minute session during the weekend, due to engine heat. All other systems on the car performed flawlessly, but engine oil temp was not under control.
Sponsored

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
"110 degree heat index."

Forget the machinery - I'd be the weakest link in that scenario ;-)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Those aren't pushed very hard, tho.
Possibly true, but I think they spend a lot of time on the rev limiter. The instructors tell you to let it hit the rev limiter and not to shift to the next gear because they think that's the best way to run the track for a less experienced person.

With my own car I only hit the rev limiter a few times and only by mistake. Not that I didn't think it could handle it, but I never drove a track in my GT350 where it seemed to make sense to hold it on the limiter.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Possibly true, but I think they spend a lot of time on the rev limiter. The instructors tell you to let it hit the rev limiter and not to shift to the next gear because they think that's the best way to run the track for a less experienced person.

With my own car I only hit the rev limiter a few times and only by mistake. Not that I didn't think it could handle it, but I never drove a track in my GT350 where it seemed to make sense to hold it on the limiter.
When I'm on track in a street car, I'm not going for every 10th. Therefore, if at the end of a straight I could shift or just coast a bit, I will sometimes not upshift - but instead of holding it on the limiter, I'll coast in at ~7800 RPM before braking. Might cost me a few MPH of top speed but no big deal.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
HB passed me at speed Friday at COTA. That thing screams! Sounds like a pure race car....
Still can't believe you didn't lift going down the front straight and I still gained that much ground. Haven't had a chance to play with a GT350 on track since I did the re-build, so haven't been able to gauge it well. Given that I am chasing down ZL1 1LEs, though, safe to say it's putting down good power in practice :)

For perspective, I was running at NCM this weekend (3.2 miles, 23 turns). 100 degree weather, 110 degree heat index. Engine oil temps were in the 290+ degree range all day, and I had 3 fans cooling the car between sessions. I wasn’t able to complete a single 30 minute session during the weekend, due to engine heat. All other systems on the car performed flawlessly, but engine oil temp was not under control.
I had a very similar experience at COTA in July last year. How were your diff temps? That's next on the list for me. I saw 334* on Road Atlanta running the Hoosiers. 273* this weekend. Been changing fluid every event since it's getting cooked.

When I'm on track in a street car, I'm not going for every 10th. Therefore, if at the end of a straight I could shift or just coast a bit, I will sometimes not upshift - but instead of holding it on the limiter, I'll coast in at ~7800 RPM before braking. Might cost me a few MPH of top speed but no big deal.
Many times this is faster than shifting since you don't lose anytime shifting up and then back down. I was playing around with this a bit leading into T1 this weekend. I was running out of 4th at the finish line. Chose the opposite, though, to continue working on my heel/toe skills and address some of the feedback Racers360 gave me :)

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah - I do too, or I shift and don't worry about lap speed. My point was - at the Track Attack they actually TELL everyone to hold the engine against the limiter. There are two straights on the track where I was holding the engine against the limiter on every lap. Just seems like pretty hard use to me. Harder than most people would tend to use their cars.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Got the oil analysis back from Blackstone and all is looking good. This was from the VIR and Road Atlanta trip. Will be sending the next one in after my next weekend at COTA in October.

Regarding dye, there was some left in the motor/accusump from when I was trying to source the oil pan leak.

upload_2019-7-24_10-48-15.png

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Uh, don’t really have time to read the whole thread but what are our options for those valve issues? I might one day do OPG and valve springs

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Cool to see someone from CS here in such an important thread. Lived there from 96 - 14.

Anyway... I'm interested in what the parts list would have been for the DIY option and the middle options you talked about early on in the thread before you went full send.

I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be staring at a DIY rebuild myself after getting a little bit taken on a used '17.

Thanks!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Cool to see someone from CS here in such an important thread. Lived there from 96 - 14.

Anyway... I'm interested in what the parts list would have been for the DIY option and the middle options you talked about early on in the thread before you went full send.

I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be staring at a DIY rebuild myself after getting a little bit taken on a used '17.

Thanks!
Nice! You go to TAMU? Been a fun place to live. We're enjoying it.

I'll put together some parts this weekend and post em up

Sponsored

cdh027

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 2018 z06
I went through about 8 pages and couldn't find it, but did the OP mention what oil he was using?

shanewendel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thanks for the info. Should we all be using Amsoil 15w50?
I'm not really the one to ask, but I think he chose that for his specific build and purpose (dedicated track car). I would assume for a street car you'd want to continue to run 5W-50
Sponsored