Sponsored

2019 Ford Mustang GT PP2 Versus Camaro SS 1LE (Car and Driver)

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
I posted in the other thread that I crossed shopped, and I found that the 1LE is a sure footed monster, and I am in the minority that I liked the 2019 redesign actually. The 1LE would spank my PP1 around any track or strip, but man I love the Mustang, as stated many times, the interior is excellent, and I much prefer the looks inside and out, it really is a total package. I hope Chevy does continue the Camaro and address the interior, visibility and livability, we will see what happens. I am just glad both cars are still around for now, and we have choices.
I am fortunate to have both and I agree. I think having both the cars around definitely helps the Mustang and Camaro become better cars.and the Dodge Challengers definitely doing something right you see so many of them on the road.. but after seeing that unveiling of the new c8 Covette might have to let one of these babies go.
Sponsored

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
The only beef I have with the Ford and I have always seen the same issue
is its under stroked....Mustang and F150 both of which I own dont have the
low end grunt because they are too fking small of an engine . The Coyote
should have been made to a 350ish CID engine

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
Not sure what they are talking about. My PP2 does not jitter anymore than a 1LE on the highway. Maybe it was windier when they drove the Mustang. To me, both cars are equal overall. it all comes down to personal preference. Sadly it seems you won't have a choice for a Camaro. All of us should at least know that will not help the Mustang in the long run.
+1. Never experienced anything like freeway hop in my PP2. Makes me wonder if the car they tested still had the shipping blocks in the springs?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My PP2 does not jitter anymore than a 1LE on the highway.
I haven't driven a PP2, but have a EB+PP+MR and a '18 Shelby 350. The deficit of the MR-equipped Mustangs vs the 1SS1+LE was quite noticeable. The GT+PP1 is another big step in inferiority. I was quite surprised there was so much distance between the MR implementations. I suspect GM is better at this because of their many years of experience with the Corvette. That or the Mustang suspension team doesn't know what good suspension is, or more likely they are deliberately catering to a clientele that expects a certain feel and doesn't know any better. It's very common in bikes, too. Where good suspension is a far more important - most people are "perfectly happy" with their OE suspension, until astonished at the improvement when they ride a properly prepped machine.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I haven't driven a PP2, but have a EB+PP+MR and a '18 Shelby 350. The deficit of the MR-equipped Mustangs vs the 1SS1+LE was quite noticeable. The GT+PP1 is another big step in inferiority. I was quite surprised there was so much distance between the MR implementations. I suspect GM is better at this because of their many years of experience with the Corvette. That or the Mustang suspension team doesn't know what good suspension is, or more likely they are deliberately catering to a clientele that expects a certain feel and doesn't know any better. It's very common in bikes, too. Where good suspension is a far more important - most people are "perfectly happy" with their OE suspension, until astonished at the improvement when they ride a properly prepped machine.
The C&D guys made the comment based on their assessment of the Cup 2's not the suspension settings. I agree it they do tramline more than the 1LE, but if you did not do a back to back test you would not notice the difference.....it is that small. Not sure where you are going with the MR bit as there is no difference on the street. On the track maybe, but I have only driven it on the street so can't say for sure.

Sponsored

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
If your looking at gen 6 Mustang 385989
camaro 191608 and if you ad in the last year of gen5 269110
I mean these two cars specifically in the article.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I've long understood the SS 1LE is the better driver's car, with a monster engine, better transmission, able to out-perform massively more expensive cars on a road-course. I've also long understood it's interior is cramped and ugly, outward visibility is crap, and the styling is.....silly. As a daily-driver it's truly a mess.
This is spot on. Which is why if one wants a Camaro, you go with one of the big boys and that makes you overlook quite a few of the faults. A '17 SS 1LE or a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE. That facelift is a complete abomination. A genuine atrocity in design.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
This is spot on. Which is why if one wants a Camaro, you go with one of the big boys and that makes you overlook quite a few of the faults. A '17 SS 1LE or a ZL1 or ZL1 1LE. That facelift is a complete abomination. A genuine atrocity in design.
I like it ..the same can be said about the 18 and 19 Mustang as well but I like it too.fuck it! can't make everyone happy lol

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I like it ..the same can be said about the 18 and 19 Mustang as well but I like it too.fuck it! can't make everyone happy lol
Not the same. Sure there is a small minority of people out that like the 15-17 Mustang styling more than the 18+ (per this board mostly current 15-17 owners which makes sense), but the majority like it. It is the complete opposite for the Camaro. It is by far the biggest reason for the decline in sales. People think it looks a bit cartoony on the outside and dungeon like on the inside. Not as big a deal for a mostly track car, but for a mostly street car it is a huge drawback. Agreed you can't please everyone all the time, but GM has had a number of tries to fix it and they seem to be making it worse each time.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Not the same. Sure there is a small minority of people out that like the 15-17 Mustang styling more than the 18+ (per this board mostly current 15-17 owners which makes sense), but the majority like it. It is the complete opposite for the Camaro. It is by far the biggest reason for the decline in sales. People think it looks a bit cartoony on the outside and dungeon like on the inside. Not as big a deal for a mostly track car, but for a mostly street car it is a huge drawback. Agreed you can't please everyone all the time, but GM has had a number of tries to fix it and they seem to be making it worse each time.
also the 6gen Camaro sales were not that great to begin with starting in 2016 compared to 5th gen .. even though some would say it's cartoony look the Mustang definitely still has more character.. but I have always thought the Mustang have more going for then Camaro has to begin with..time just repeating itself .I did come across these images today at what the new ZL1 for 2021 may possibly look like
IMG_20190722_144540_807.jpg
Screenshot_20190722-083931~2.png

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I want to know when did headlights become something you had to minimize to the point of nothingness? On TV I saw a ad for Chevy SUV'somthing and like that second pic,had nothing for headlights. What the heck?

Did some design group publish a "fad of the day" paper or something?

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
I want to know when did headlights become something you had to minimize to the point of nothingness? On TV I saw a ad for Chevy SUV'somthing and like that second pic,had nothing for headlights. What the heck?

Yeah it definitely becoming a trend

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)

For SUVs theres a huge trend that headlights are in the bumper and the upper lights are just the DRLs.

@Elvis66: These are old renderings from last year where people photoshopped the reveal pictures of the 2019 SS. The ZL1 will keep the front fascia, like they already did with MY19+20
Sponsored