Sponsored

Did I smoke my clutch, or am I just paranoid?

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Hey all.

I put my Shelby into a parade over 4th of July and ever since my clutch just seems... off. I was careful to not ride it during the parade, let a space build up before moving forward, let it out while stopped, gave it time to cool off, etc. Start to finish was about a mile and a quarter. I honestly don't feel like I was any rougher on it than a track day or heavy stop and go traffic would be. Everything did get pretty warm though, being it was a hot day and loud noises make children happy.

Observations on the changes in my pedal:

The tension when pushing down the pedal feels lighter than usual (I have the Steeda spring in too).
The engagement seems less aggressive than it was while letting it out and downshifting.
There is a slight stutter when starting out, especially when I first start driving the car.
There is no slipping I can feel under hard acceleration.
If I let the RPM down to idle while rolling and let the clutch back out, it pulls the RPM back up as it should.
No issues changing gear such as grinding under hard load or normally.

I've honestly never smoked or worn a clutch to the point of needing replacement, so I have no idea if I actually did or it's just the placebo effect. I will say as I drive it more, it's starting to feel a little bit more normal. I'd take it to the dealer, but there isn't a dealer within 100 miles of me that I would trust to give me an honest diagnosis, let alone work on my car.

I appreciate any ideas.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The likelihood that you damaged your clutch is small. I'd go with either "it's all in your head" or "your brake fluid is a bit old, it boiled in the clutch line and now there's vapor down there". If it's the first thing, I can't help you, but if it's the second, then change the fluid in the brake reservoir (which is also the clutch reservoir) and then pump the clutch pedal up and down fast about 100 times. Surprisingly enough, that'll pump out any air or vapor in the lines and fill them with fresh fluid. I've done it on two cars where there was air in the clutch and it works like a charm.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
I am no expert here, but I would bet no way you "smoked" the clutch.
These clutches are designed to take a lot of "abuse" on a track.

You may have roughed the surface a little, so read about how to clean that surface with driving technics.

OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
The likelihood that you damaged your clutch is small. I'd go with either "it's all in your head" or "your brake fluid is a bit old, it boiled in the clutch line and now there's vapor down there". If it's the first thing, I can't help you, but if it's the second, then change the fluid in the brake reservoir (which is also the clutch reservoir) and then pump the clutch pedal up and down fast about 100 times. Surprisingly enough, that'll pump out any air or vapor in the lines and fill them with fresh fluid. I've done it on two cars where there was air in the clutch and it works like a charm.
I will definitely try that and see if it helps. Thanks!

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Highly doubt you damaged the clutch. JAJ's solution is worth trying if you feel like it isn't going away with more driving time.

Sponsored

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
Had the same issues you listed but with some vibration throughout the driveline and clutch was just recently replaced under warranty. They told me the first clutch was worn and the second one was missing some material. My car only had 12k miles on it. Only issue i have with the car now is it a lurch when i put it in first gear.

OP
OP
MikeMM

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Had the same issues you listed but with some vibration throughout the driveline and clutch was just recently replaced under warranty. They told me the first clutch was worn and the second one was missing some material. My car only had 12k miles on it. Only issue i have with the car now is it a lurch when i put it in first gear.
Was it replaced under factory warranty? Clutches are considered wear items, so it shouldn't have been warranty AFAIK.

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes it was replaced under warranty i had less than 12k on the car. Bought it with 8k miles on it. I think 13k is the factory cutoff for clutch replacement under warranty

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Id do a few hard launches, it should go back to normal. Youd smell it if you burnt it, and even then just drive it normal for a while then do a few hard launches and it should be fine. I burnt mine on my 2011 mustang by powershifting into 4th instead of 2nd once , I also tried starting a burnout at 60 MPH in 3rd gear once in a 630 rwhp cts-v and it didnt like that. Both clutches were fine though after some normal driving.
Sponsored