Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have not heard of a lot of failures with the 16's. I think when they started it was assumed that there would be limited production. Did they take more care in the manufacturing and assembly? Once the demand spiked and they had to start pumping these out... (albeit with a hand built motor) things started going south...

Classic Muscle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 21 Cayman GT4, 2000 Cobra R
Hey guys,
I have been trolling this thread for quite a while and kept going back and forth on whether to purchase a 350 and have the possibility of dealing with this issue. I'm back in the hunt again.. seems to me that both the 17's and 18's were both susceptible to this. At least the early builds of the 18's. Either way... the "golden ticket" seems to be a 19 engine; although we don't have enough history on the 19's yet to see how they fare.. Maybe I should be looking at a 2019 and just have them swap out that ridiculous wing for the standard and a set of Michelin PSS to replace the Cup2's.
If I do go the used route I'm going to drive it like "Nastystang" and make sure that if it fails it fails early and within warranty....
So is there "hope" the 19 engines will be more durable and also burn less oil? But no one knows yet? And also, why do people keep saying "get a 19R engine!" Is the 19R engine supposed to be better in this durability regard than the base 19 GT350?

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
I am considering having an oil consumption test done and have been tracking my consumption for quite some time. I have noticed that the first thousand miles after an oil change using motorcraft or amsoil the engine may need only a quart to top it up. After that the consumption gets worse till at around 2000 miles it requires a quart every 400 miles. Seeing how the test works I guess I am out of luck. Just wondering (short of shoving my fluid extractor hose down the dipstick tube) if anyone has noticed a particular driving method that uses more oil than others. I figure high revs with lots of engine braking may be the ticket? Was just going to live with it however I like the idea of the new gen2 voodoo and not having to burn a case of oil between changes.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Almost 10k on my 19 motor and no oil issues.
Wow you are driving the piss out of that thing. Good for you. I just rolled 3700 lol.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I take it out every weekend just for fun. During the week I take the subway and don’t drive. So on weekends I need to get out of the city and I’ll put 250 miles on it easily. Plus trips to Wv and back are 450 each way. So it adds up. I’m moving to Mn early fall and that’s going to be 1200 miles. I wanted to really get this motor over the hump as up North I’ll be pretty far from a dealership.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ok so Thursday I took it in and told them it burned 1.5q over 242 miles. They forced me to get/pay for an oil change (with only 2000 since the last) and they marked the dipstick at 22920 miles. I put 310 (some high paced driving on some mountain roads, about 130 miles of it) on it over the weekend and it appears to be a dry dipstick. I’m taking it in after work today. It’s going to be interesting.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Ok so Thursday I took it in and told them it burned 1.5q over 242 miles. They forced me to get/pay for an oil change (with only 2000 since the last) and they marked the dipstick at 22920 miles. I put 310 (some high paced driving on some mountain roads, about 130 miles of it) on it over the weekend and it appears to be a dry dipstick. I’m taking it in after work today. It’s going to be interesting.
Well that sure looks to warrant a new '19 engine. With over 23,000mi. it sounds like you are one who does get out there and enjoy it! What year is yours? Certainly hope dealer gets the ball rolling and Ford rushes out a strong one for ya!

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I take it you've been running strictly Motorcraft oil.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
"Does anyone know if the upgraded oil pump gear is going to be on the GT350 engine or just the GT500?"

I asked Ford Performance in June if MY19's GT350's would be getting the billet pump among other improvements and the rep asked an engine engineer. The rep relayed this as a copy paste answer from the engineer:
"New block with longer hd bolts and steel crank sprocket. Carryover oil pump"

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well that sure looks to warrant a new '19 engine. With over 23,000mi. it sounds like you are one who does get out there and enjoy it! What year is yours? Certainly hope dealer gets the ball rolling and Ford rushes out a strong one for ya!
17. I bought it used with 1500 miles 13 months ago, so yeah I drive the hell out of it.

I take it you've been running strictly Motorcraft oil.
I did throw some amsoil once or twice but since it started burning oil at an increasing rate I didn’t want Ford to give me any reason to not cover it so I’ve been coming in and paying for oil changes and reporting my oil needs.

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I honestly feel like the dealer/Ford is trying to gaslight me. I checked the dipstick this morning before going to work and then to the dealer to take the next step in the oil consumption test. The very tip of the stick had oil on it after 324 miles since the oil change. The service tech actually reported it only being a half a quart low!!!!!!! “It’s running fine and better than 500 miles a quart” the fuck? I called BS and demanded the service manager come see it for himself. He went with me to the lot and looked at the dipstick and saw that the very tip was the only part that had oil on it as I pulled it out. He then checked after me to be sure and agreed it seemed extremely low but said his tech knew what he was talking about and had worked on performance cars for years, “so If he says it’s a half a quart down, then it’s only half a quart down” and to come back after the rest of the 500 miles. With as much oil as I’ve put on this car (>40 quarts) in addition to the oil changes, I KNOW how much oil the car needs just by looking at the dipstick. I told him I’d admit myself to the insane asylum if we put a whole quart in it and touched or went past the white mark they left on the dipstick. He agreed to do it and after letting the oil settle it was still far away from the original oil consumption test mark. Finally, after all of the bullshit deflecting... I’m just baffled as to what the hell this guy was thinking when he said half a quart. Goddamn! I’m so frustrated. They finally updated the report to Ford to say it burned 1.5-2 quarts over 324 miles. Why do I have to show people how to do their jobs? I’m beginning not to like Hennessy Ford in Atlanta. They have been very difficult to work with.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I honestly feel like the dealer/Ford is trying to gaslight me. I checked the dipstick this morning before going to work and then to the dealer to take the next step in the oil consumption test. The very tip of the stick had oil on it after 324 miles since the oil change. The service tech actually reported it only being a half a quart low!!!!!!! “It’s running fine and better than 500 miles a quart” the fuck? I called BS and demanded the service manager come see it for himself. He went with me to the lot and looked at the dipstick and saw that the very tip was the only part that had oil on it as I pulled it out. He then checked after me to be sure and agreed it seemed extremely low but said his tech knew what he was talking about and had worked on performance cars for years, “so If he says it’s a half a quart down, then it’s only half a quart down” and to come back after the rest of the 500 miles. With as much oil as I’ve put on this car (>40 quarts) in addition to the oil changes, I KNOW how much oil the car needs just by looking at the dipstick. I told him I’d admit myself to the insane asylum if we put a whole quart in it and touched or went past the white mark they left on the dipstick. He agreed to do it and after letting the oil settle it was still far away from the original oil consumption test mark. Finally, after all of the bullshit deflecting... I’m just baffled as to what the hell this guy was thinking when he said half a quart. Goddamn! I’m so frustrated. They finally updated the report to Ford to say it burned 1.5-2 quarts over 324 miles. Why do I have to show people how to do their jobs? I’m beginning not to like Hennessy Ford in Atlanta. They have been very difficult to work with.
Must be the name (Hennessey) haha

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My dipstick was about 1/4" below the lowest dot. That ended up being 2qts low when the tech checked it.

The new engine arrived the very next day. I'm glad I have a competent and helpful dealership and have never had to deal with any horror stories at the two dealerships I've been to.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
17. I bought it used with 1500 miles 13 months ago, so yeah I drive the hell out of it.

I did throw some amsoil once or twice but since it started burning oil at an increasing rate I didn’t want Ford to give me any reason to not cover it so I’ve been coming in and paying for oil changes and reporting my oil needs.
There is a you tuber called "auto fanatic" who says all of your oil consumption issues will go away if you use Amsoil... I hate it when people make blanket statements like that. He is one of the fortunate ones who is not having problems. Amsoil is not going to prevent this if there is a problem with consumption or a bad motor.