Shifter mechanism failure

OP
OP

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I ordered my MGW shifter this morning. It should arrive at the dealership late Wednesday or early Thursday. The dealership's parts manager has been in contact with Ford's main parts warehouse and all the replacement shifters in stock have the faulty part in them, so the supplier is playing catch-up trying to get replacement parts to Ford. There is an indefinite hold on ALL replacement shifters for the GT350. They have no idea when replacement shifters will be available. This is another fiasco of production for the holdups of the GT350's production. Many post production GT350s are still sitting at Flat Rock awaiting the part for their defective shifter. Ford has really fumbled the ball for the 2019 production of the GT350. My dealership is installing the MGW for free and I'm going to discuss some remuneration for my having to BUY a shifter since Ford cannot provide a replacement in a timely manner.
Sponsored

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
I would be happy with the free install, getting the part paid for will require a higher pay grade then the dealership I suspect
You will like the MGW shifter

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Many post production GT350s are still sitting at Flat Rock awaiting the part for their defective shifter. Ford has really fumbled the ball for the 2019 production of the GT350.
Not to mention the countless GT350's that are sitting in railroad distribution centers all over the country waiting for "mobile teams" to show up and fix them...
My dealership is installing the MGW for free and I'm going to discuss some remuneration for my having to BUY a shifter since Ford cannot provide a replacement in a timely manner.
I think that is completely fair! It's a brand new car and they don't have any replacement parts in stock? Sorry, not my circus, not my monkeys! Tell them you would either like a rental car the entire time yours is down or they can pay for the MGW and get you back out on the road as a semi-happy customer.

OP
OP

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Not to mention the countless GT350's that are sitting in railroad distribution centers all over the country waiting for "mobile teams" to show up and fix them...

I think that is completely fair! It's a brand new car and they don't have any replacement parts in stock? Sorry, not my circus, not my monkeys! Tell them you would either like a rental car the entire time yours is down or they can pay for the MGW and get you back out on the road as a semi-happy customer.
I'm very good friends with the owner of the dealership. I think the chance of any recompense toward the cost of the MGW is unlikely. I sure wouldn't want him to pay that, even if he offered. He's agreed to put it in for free so I'm happy with that. If FMC picked up a portion or the whole price of the MGW shifter, I wouldn't turn it down. LOL! I've been given a nice Taurus to drive since my car has been sitting in the shop for a week. I hope to be back in the seat by Friday. It'll take a couple days to get the MGW to the dealership.

OP
OP

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'm very good friends with the owner of the dealership. I think the chance of any recompense toward the cost of the MGW is unlikely. I sure wouldn't want him to pay that, even if he offered. He's agreed to put it in for free so I'm happy with that. If FMC picked up a portion or the whole price of the MGW shifter, I wouldn't turn it down. LOL! I've been given a nice Taurus to drive since my car has been sitting in the shop for a week. I hope to be back in the seat by Friday. It'll take a couple days to get the MGW to the dealership.

Sponsored

OP
OP

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Up-date: My MGW shifter arrived at the dealership on Wednesday morning and was installed by my beloved SVT technician in the afternoon! First impression was just WOW! It shifts smoothly, is very precise, and has shorter throws. The reverse lock-out is just like my 2010, 6 speed, Fusion, so I have no problems in adjusting muscle memory! It is a very nice upgrade and I'm so glad I made the decision to upgrade. When, and if, my OEM shifter comes out of backorder, I'll hang it on my garage wall! Thanks guys, for the advise and input.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Up-date: My MGW shifter arrived at the dealership on Wednesday morning and was installed by my beloved SVT technician in the afternoon! First impression was just WOW! It shifts smoothly, is very precise, and has shorter throws. The reverse lock-out is just like my 2010, 6 speed, Fusion, so I have no problems in adjusting muscle memory! It is a very nice upgrade and I'm so glad I made the decision to upgrade. When, and if, my OEM shifter comes out of backorder, I'll hang it on my garage wall! Thanks guys, for the advise and input.
LOL, don't expect it to look like the MGW Shifter. The MGW Shifter is worth showing as a show case the OEM looks like exactly how it would perform. Crap. I'm glad you listened. Enjoy it!

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Agree with above - MGW machined and anodized parts were almost too pretty to install where nobody would ever see them!

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Agree with above - MGW machined and anodized parts were almost too pretty to install where nobody would ever see them!
Yes! My MGW was installed by my 30+ yr. service Ford Master Service Tech. (who also roadraced his Mustang for several yrs.) and that was pretty much HIS exact comment! Lol

AlphaBravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have an early production ( late February) 2019 GT350. I had originally ordered one on February 8, 2019, but after enduring the delays for no steering wheel and then a faulty part in the shifter mechanism hold which carried into early July, I was out of patience. My dealer found another exact match at another dealership, did a DX, and I bought it. Today the shift pattern began to feel vague and I couldn't get it into second gear. I stopped and fiddled with it a bit. I also found that it would go into reverse without having to pull up the reverse lock-out ring on the shifter, which was troubling. I immediately took it to my dealer and the tech pulled the boot and examined the shifter. Without going further into it, he said it was definitely not working properly and said he would order a new shifter mechanism from Ford. When checking to order one, he found it was not in stock!! I wondered if that had something to do with the past "factory hold" on the shifter mechanisms on a number of GT350's awaiting delivery. Looks like the parts shelves have been raided to replace the defective shifters in the cars that have been recently produced. I'll know more tomorrow when the tech takes it out to see what's wrong. Sure hope he can fix it. No telling how long I'll have to wait for a new shifter from Ford. This 2019 production debacle by Ford has been a nightmare for many customers awaiting their cars.
My GT350 has this exact problem. It just occurred this past weekend. Has anyone who has had this problem had the dealer actually fix the problem with an OEM shifter replacement?

Sponsored
OP
OP

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
My GT350 has this exact problem. It just occurred this past weekend. Has anyone who has had this problem had the dealer actually fix the problem with an OEM shifter replacement?
I haven't seen anyone post results of the OEM broken shifter being replaced by a new updated OEM shifter. I received a new, up-dated, OEM shifter from Ford a month after I had an MGW installed due to Ford's inability to provide a replacement shifter in a timely manner. It's sitting in a box in my basement. The shifter problem was a result of a faulty part (shifter produced by an outside vendor). These faulty shifters were installed in many GT350's during assembly and resulted in a material hold on a lot of GT350's at Flat Rock and even some already in transit. A real cluster Fk! My 2019 was produced in late February so it got one of the faulty shifters and was delivered before Ford caught the problem. The replacement OEM shifters have been on backorder for some time due to the Vendor's inability to provide Ford with replacement shifters, thus my decision to get the MGW and not wait for Ford to give me a new one. I'm unsure whether replacement shifters are now available from Ford parts as it's been a while since my debacle. Check with your dealership to see what the situation is at present.

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
To all of you with shifter issues! Buy MGW!!!
The factory updated shifter will just be more junk!! There are countless issues with the OE shifter it makes zero sense to install OE whe the aftermarket makes an excellent piece! End the insanity! Buy MGW and never look back!
Sponsored