Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Until it was made official, I figured the price rumors were wildly optimistic and that reality would be higher. Guess not. Pretty good bang for the buck, GM.

Damn good looking car too, IMO, although the rear is a little weird from certain angles in pictures. I'll bet it's better in person and blows away the C7, which I love.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I agree the base pricing looks good, especially if you forget that the base model C8 isn't set up for track days. The Corvette will have a better chassis, but the GT350 has better equipment everywhere else. To get the track ready version of the C8 you will pay more. How much more is yet to be seen.

I have said in the past that mid-engine and DCT doesn't mean the car has to cost significantly more to manufacture. And Chevy has shown they want to sell lots of them. In my opinion sticking with less expensive materials was a good move. Hopefully there won't be major issues.

I think Voodoo was a huge deal, but an even bigger deal was the carbon fiber wheels. Several high end manufacturers are going to carbon fiber wheels now, following Ford's lead.
Ford did a great job with the CF wheels and Voodoo. There weren't even CF wheels from any exotics save for Koenigsegg that I can think of. Ford offered an exotic engine and wheels, while Chevy is offering an exotic set up. We all win

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Until it was made official, I figured the price rumors were wildly optimistic and that reality would be higher. Guess not. Pretty good bang for the buck, GM.
True but everyone is comparing the c8 street car to the GT350R track car wait till they get the price on the track version of the c8 I think that will quite down a lot of these fanboys here.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ford did a great job with the CF wheels and Voodoo. There weren't even CF wheels from any exotics save for Koenigsegg that I can think of. Ford offered an exotic engine and wheels, while Chevy is offering an exotic set up. We all win
Yep chevy is offering a exotic body with the same old engine. When Ford brought out the GT350 and GT350R they already had the exotic FPC engine and CF wheels I think this shows that Ford is leading the way in performance. But wait a couple of years and you might be able to get these on the c8, maybe.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yep chevy is offering a exotic body with the same old engine. When Ford brought out the GT350 and GT350R they already had the exotic FPC engine and CF wheels I think this shows that Ford is leading the way in performance. But wait a couple of years and you might be able to get these on the c8, maybe.
Yes the chassis will be nice, but the engine boring. Kind of like my Z06. It's a decent engine, but more something for a pickup or station wagon as opposed to a sports car. The Voodoo was awesome by comparison.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Yes the chassis will be nice, but the engine boring. Kind of like my Z06. It's a decent engine, but more something for a pickup or station wagon as opposed to a sports car. The Voodoo was awesome by comparison.
Keep in mind that all that has been shown so far is the base engine. There is a lot of chatter of a 5.XL FPC, both NA and boosted, and potential for electrification assist for one or both of those engines. That’s when things gеt interesting.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
We’ll have to see what C8 quarter mile is like, but right now, Tadge Juechter is saying 0-60 in < 3s, while Carl Widman is saying 0-60 in mid-3 seconds range for GT500. That has C8 faster. Having mass over the rear wheels, 400+ lbs of downforce, and a very stiff chassis make it likely that the C8 can continue putting the power down better through the quarter. Maybe the extra hp allows GT500 to catch C8...maybe not. But then there are Grand Sport and Z06 versions coming, so there’s that.

Per the C8 press release, dry weight is 3,366 lbs.
It will be interesting to see for sure, is the changes in the C8 chassis going to ME and 40 extra HP going to be enough to shave a second off of the ET? doesn't GM say something like high 11s for the C7.

I am sticking with the GT500 since I want a Mustang pure and simple. I think the C8 is amazing looking and the performance sounds like it is going to be great but it is not the Mustang that I’ve admired and enjoyed all my life.

I think we so often get in dick measuring contests regarding performance and weight that ultimately doesn’t matter for most of us who will only drive the car for leisure.

Chevy did it right though in the design. That thing looks like the super car that the Vette should be.
This is a very fair post. People will still buy the GT500 because it is what they want, people will still buy the RE because they want it, others will buy what they think is the best value.

Damn good looking car too, IMO, although the rear is a little weird from certain angles in pictures. I'll bet it's better in person and blows away the C7, which I love.
Agreed ^

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Keep in mind that all that has been shown so far is the base engine. There is a lot of chatter of a 5.XL FPC, both NA and boosted, and potential for electrification assist for one or both of those engines. That’s when things gеt interesting.
I'd be really interested in a large ci, naturally aspirated V8 with good breathing. Not as interested in something boosted. It should be interesting to see what they decide to do.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be really interested in a large ci, naturally aspirated V8 with good breathing. Not as interested in something boosted. It should be interesting to see what they decide to do.
You'll be disappointed, then.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You'll be disappointed, then.
Probably true. It will be like my Z06. Really good chassis, but the engine ok not great.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Probably true. It will be like my Z06. Really good chassis, but the engine ok not great.
LS7 would probably not disappoint, especially a cammed one.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
Base model C8 will not do low 3's, I bet its more like high 3's to 4's to 60mph.

With the pack, I still dont believe it will get under 3 seconds, maybe low 3's, but no way will it break 3 seconds.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
Base model C8 will not do low 3's, I bet its more like high 3's to 4's to 60mph.

With the pack, I still dont believe it will get under 3 seconds, maybe low 3's, but no way will it break 3 seconds.
Well you know Garbage Motors is known for RINGER cars and lieing about performance numbers :lipssealed:

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
The new nsx? No way.. That car is beautiful.

Maybe the old one... But... Not even close.

Way too many lines in the new corvette... It's all over the place.
Yea,it looks like shit, especially the back:crackup::cwl:
Sponsored