Sponsored

Shifter mechanism failure

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have an early production ( late February) 2019 GT350. I had originally ordered one on February 8, 2019, but after enduring the delays for no steering wheel and then a faulty part in the shifter mechanism hold which carried into early July, I was out of patience. My dealer found another exact match at another dealership, did a DX, and I bought it. Today the shift pattern began to feel vague and I couldn't get it into second gear. I stopped and fiddled with it a bit. I also found that it would go into reverse without having to pull up the reverse lock-out ring on the shifter, which was troubling. I immediately took it to my dealer and the tech pulled the boot and examined the shifter. Without going further into it, he said it was definitely not working properly and said he would order a new shifter mechanism from Ford. When checking to order one, he found it was not in stock!! I wondered if that had something to do with the past "factory hold" on the shifter mechanisms on a number of GT350's awaiting delivery. Looks like the parts shelves have been raided to replace the defective shifters in the cars that have been recently produced. I'll know more tomorrow when the tech takes it out to see what's wrong. Sure hope he can fix it. No telling how long I'll have to wait for a new shifter from Ford. This 2019 production debacle by Ford has been a nightmare for many customers awaiting their cars.
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
well... could you tell them you want to get the MGW Shifter installed and you'll settle for the cost of the OEM to be applied to the labor install of the MGW Shifter? The MGW Shifter is by far superior.. Just an fyi the MGW Shifter ran for 500... I believe and the labor was $375 OTD.

mqu02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue GT350
I have an early production ( late February) 2019 GT350. I had originally ordered one on February 8, 2019, but after enduring the delays for no steering wheel and then a faulty part in the shifter mechanism hold which carried into early July, I was out of patience. My dealer found another exact match at another dealership, did a DX, and I bought it. Today the shift pattern began to feel vague and I couldn't get it into second gear. I stopped and fiddled with it a bit. I also found that it would go into reverse without having to pull up the reverse lock-out ring on the shifter, which was troubling. I immediately took it to my dealer and the tech pulled the boot and examined the shifter. Without going further into it, he said it was definitely not working properly and said he would order a new shifter mechanism from Ford. When checking to order one, he found it was not in stock!! I wondered if that had something to do with the past "factory hold" on the shifter mechanisms on a number of GT350's awaiting delivery. Looks like the parts shelves have been raided to replace the defective shifters in the cars that have been recently produced. I'll know more tomorrow when the tech takes it out to see what's wrong. Sure hope he can fix it. No telling how long I'll have to wait for a new shifter from Ford. This 2019 production debacle by Ford has been a nightmare for many customers awaiting their cars.
Just curious what your chassis number is. Mine is K0195, and I am guessing I might have this to look forward to. Also, how did you find your build date?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious what your chassis number is. Mine is K0195, and I am guessing I might have this to look forward to. Also, how did you find your build date?
Month/year of build is in the upper left corner of the vin label inside the drivers door. For reference, mine is chassis K0604, sticker says 03/19.

mqu02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue GT350
Month/year of build is in the upper left corner of the vin label inside the drivers door. For reference, mine is chassis K0604, sticker says 03/19.
Thanks! Mine is 2/19 like the OP.

Sponsored

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Honestly, I was concerned about those early builds because why would they be immune from a problem that held up the ones produced later? Although they must have it figured out because one lucky SOB on this forum went from production to dealer delivery in less than THREE weeks! I passed up a great deal on a 2019 in North Dakota because it was a very early build that had been sitting at the dealership for quite some time.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
well... could you tell them you want to get the MGW Shifter installed and you'll settle for the cost of the OEM to be applied to the labor install of the MGW Shifter? The MGW Shifter is by far superior.. Just an fyi the MGW Shifter ran for 500... I believe and the labor was $375 OTD.
This is a simple and brilliant idea... there's no telling how long you may wait for the new parts.
I think you have paid your dues as far as waiting goes!
Keep us posted...

OP
OP

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
This is a simple and brilliant idea... there's no telling how long you may wait for the new parts.
I think you have paid your dues as far as waiting goes!
Keep us posted...
I had a 13 GT500 before moving to the GT350. I liked the shifter in the GT500 and given the raves in articles and videos about the GT350's shifting pattern and feel, I felt it was certainly comparable or better than the GT500. I've never driven a car with the MGW shifter, so I'm a little reluctant to pay $475.00 for a new shifter, and then find that I'm not a fan of it. That would not be good. It's also possible I would love it, but without trying one out, I'm a bit apprehensive about having the MGW installed. I hope to have some news later today about the availability of a new shifter mechanism from Ford and how soon they could get their hands on one. Interestingly, my originally ordered GT350 showed up at the dealership last week and I sat in it and tried the shifter mechanism. It definitely felt tighter and more crisp than the early production GT350 I had purchased, so maybe there was a change by the manufacturer. Unfortunately, the car was sold two days later, so I can't have them swap out the shifters, LOL! I'll keep you all posted on what they find when the tech takes it out this morning.

OP
OP

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Mine is K0331. Probably produced after yours. Sorry! Build date is on the B pillar.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Ask a local group member on fb to show you their mgw shifter. Every track junkie has it installed cause it's literally the best shifter on the planet. Look up the OEM shifter and the quality will make you laugh out loud.

Sponsored
OP
OP

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
The parts manager of my dealership advised that the OEM shift mechanism is on back order; however, the computer also showed the back order status was dropped as on 07/19/2019, which was yesterday. By Monday they should be able to give me an accurate estimate of the ETA for the OEM shifter. Before considering an MGW shifter, I will probably wait till I get something definitive from the dealership concerning the arrival date of the OEM. I think I would be satisfied with the OEM, but am not in the mood for waiting two or three weeks for one to arrive. Waited five months for this car's arrival, so I'm a little short-tempered about these waits!

FLATPLANE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg. 18 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 16 Lexus IS350 FSport
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered my MGW today!!! $60k car with a 20$ factory shifter thats garbage. Get locked out of 3rd gear on a 4-3 Downshift at Watkins Glen going into turn one and you will be happy to drop 500$ on one of these bad boys!

My philosophy: If it breaks once, dont replace it with inferior parts. Swapping garbage for more garbage is not reccomended
@Epiphany

OP
OP

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
You make some very cogent points. I'm leaning your direction! Thanks.

alan0614

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford/Blue
Mike, sorry for your pain. Hope you get resolution soon. I had a MGW in my 11 GT 500, light years improvement for sure. The stock shifter in the 350 is good but the MGW is another huge improvement. I drove another stock shifter 350 a short time ago and it reaffirmed the MGW is the right way to go. If not now, put it on the "to do" list down the road.
Sponsored