Sponsored

Considering dragging car for 1st time...Insurance recommended?

JimInTexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, Orange Fury, PP1, 10AT, Magneride, Active Exhaust, Safe/Smart, 401A, GT350 Black Spoiler
I have a pretty much stock 2019 GT, PP1, A10 and am thinking of trying out a drag night tonight. With my car in excellent running condition with good summer tires, I'm curious to know how risky it would be for me to run w/o track insurance, and do most people purchase it. I know I have to worry about the other guy on track, and as far as I can tell, there are no barriers between the lanes. The 1/8 mile run is on pit road at Texas Motor Speedway. I'm considering giving the other guy a head start each time to create some distance in case he runs into trouble. Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
I would get some quotes. May not be bad for the dragstrip. It can be moderately priced for HDPEs. The insurance only covers you and your car, no Liability. So if you own your car and can afford the loss, ehh it is your choice. If you are still paying there may be complcations if you default on a smashed up car. Insurance at the track does not really shore up much in my opinion. Everyone is liable for the own equipment regardless of how it happened. If you choose to drive something you cannot afford to damage or loose, you need to determine the best way to mitigate that issue

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
None of my group bought any when we went to PBIR for roll racing or digs. If you're running against a NA car, I don't really think there's much chance for stuff to go wrong, but those built cars with tons of power? They can kick out and cause an issue.

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Stuff can and will go wrong. Just be extra cautious even if people make fun of you. My car had 700 miles on it when I chucked a halfshaft out of it at the dragstrip. I backed out asap, because safety was my primary concern and my car barely kicked out and stopped.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ive been drag racing since the 80s. And never bought any kind of special insurance. How bad of a driver are you OP?

Sponsored

OP
OP

JimInTexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, Orange Fury, PP1, 10AT, Magneride, Active Exhaust, Safe/Smart, 401A, GT350 Black Spoiler
Ive been drag racing since the 80s. And never bought any kind of special insurance. How bad of a driver are you OP?
Well, as it stands right now, I would rate my driving skills as pretty decent, but I know these type of events can humble you in a hurry. Based on the comments I've received, plus watching some YouTube videos of the same event at the same track, ya, why not, I'll give it a shot w/o coverage and go easy on the first run or two and see what I'm dealing with. Should be fine, but realize there is always a risk no matter where you are. Plus I'll have a stock vehicle (or close) in the lane next to me, so seems like fairly minimal chance of anything blowing up next to me.

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
It's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it just saying. Cover your ass regardless.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Well, as it stands right now, I would rate my driving skills as pretty decent, but I know these type of events can humble you in a hurry. Based on the comments I've received, plus watching some YouTube videos of the same event at the same track, ya, why not, I'll give it a shot w/o coverage and go easy on the first run or two and see what I'm dealing with. Should be fine, but realize there is always a risk no matter where you are. Plus I'll have a stock vehicle (or close) in the lane next to me, so seems like fairly minimal chance of anything blowing up next to me.
Good call. Your more likely to wreck the car. Driving to the strip. Than at the strip.

cib24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
You are in a Mustang. You could and are highly likely to hit a crowd of people.

994c8133e9edd72ff7988d1c9c516ac0.jpg

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I've only ever saw one street car hit the wall. Unfortunately the poor dude totaled the car. He started to spin side ways and instead of just letting out of it he nailed his brakes. I don't remember what year but it was a silver viper with blue stripes, manual and on street tires. I do remember he had a smoking hot girlfriend though, poor little thing was bawling her eyes out. Anyway, I wouldn't bother, best insurance is a sticky tire! Spinning isn't winning!!
Sponsored