Sponsored

Who still has the C-Pillar rattle/buzz?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There was an old thread on this and was just wondering, who still has that rear passenger C-pillar rattle? Anyone figured out what it is?

I saw another thread that showed the illumination module in the trunk could vibrate. So, I checked mine. I added a screw to keep the sheet metal from vibrating, but the module itself was very tight. The wire bracket was a little loose, but not sure if this was the problem though.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Update:

I literally isolated everything up in the pillar around the air bag with tons of microfiber rags, and around the window side panel. Nothing! The rattle didn't even get a little quieter. My daughter was listening to that pillar with the panel off when I was driving, and she said it almost sounded like the air bag gas cylinder itself, which made no sense. I started to think, maybe it was sound resonating from the trunk area like CobraJet said it was on his car.
So, I did what CobraJet did. I tore the trunk carpet back, and sure enough that little module was easily vibrating and making noise. The module itself was tight on the sheet metal, but it can easily vibrate, because that sheet metal is so thin. When I would flick it, the sheet metal would make a noticeable bit of noise. Also, the plastic bracket holding the wiring was loose as well. So, I tightened it all up the best I could.
To keep the whole thing from vibrating, I went to Target and bought a $4 twin sized full synthetic pillow, and stuffed it into the area between that metal plate and the fender. I filled that whole void to deaden any sound or vibration. I'm assuming that module doesn't get too hot, since it has no cooling fins on it. So, I think it's safe having that pillow stuffed in there to prevent it from shaking around.

After driving to work, all the noise if basically gone. Only when I hit a big bump or rough patch, I do hear just a slight "tink" from that rear area. But, overall it is SOOOO much better.

Here's the pic from CobraJets trunk to show what it all looks like.

Now, imagine a cheap pillow stuffed back there behind the module filling that whole void.

image-jpg.jpg

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
NOPE!!!

Drove home last night. Rattle was back, full force. Just as noticeable as ever. Pulled the pillow out. Everything still tight in the trunk. The noise is still coming from the C-pillar, even after insulating that whole whole plastic mount behind the air bag.

I'm at a loss. I have no idea what to do now. :headbang:

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
UPDATE: Well, I did it. I managed to kill the rattle in the C-pillar. I tried inserting felt everywhere, rags stuffed into crevices, and pulled everything apart looking for loose pieces, etc. only to have it rattle again. It was driving me absolutely mad..

The answer was to fill the main gap between the metal gas cylinder shield and the base plastic against the body. As the foam expanded, it forced that plastic backing against the body so tight, it won't jiggle around anymore. Also, filled along the sides and up into the crevices between plastic pieces up into the headliner. Basically, every single gap I could find, I filled, trimmed the excess after drying, and lined the inside plastic pillar cover with a layer of 5mm Uxcell sound dampening foam sheeting.

Here's what I used. Stuff works like a charm. That whole C-pillar is completely silent now.

loctite-spray-foam-insulation-1988753-64_1000.jpg

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
Nice to know you succeed.
Can you maybe make some pictures and show us where exactly you injected the foam?

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Nice to know you succeed.
Can you maybe make some pictures and show us where exactly you injected the foam?
I second this!

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I second this!
You know, I was in such a mode of sound dampening everything from the C-pillar to the whole fender well from removing the side panel for my rear speaker installation, I honestly forgot. Now that I have it all together and it's quiet, I'm scared to remove it just for a pic. LOL

What I can do is describe the spot I think really made the difference.

When you take the pillar cover off, you'll see the airbag and gas cylinder. Those are strapped to a metal plate that is actually bolted to the metal C-pillar of the car to prevent movement. However, between the C-pillar and the airbag mounting plate, is a plastic piece of framework that the pillar cover snaps onto. That plastic back plate is what tends to move around and rattle. Here's a pic of the guy who used felt.

You see the little dangling plastic connector that holds onto the pillar panel? That is connected to a plastic backing behind the gas cylinder. It has those holes where the panel cover snaps into. That plastic backing is what makes noise. Now, if you look carefully at the gas cylinder, you'll see the edge of the airbag mounting plate behind it. That plate holds the bag and cylinder to the metal framework of the car. It has a black bolt literally bolting the plate and the airbag itself to the car to hold it solidly in place.

Just fill the foam behind the metal airbag plate, and the fill the gap between it and the plastic framework. As the foam fills that gap and expands, it will push that plastic backing against the C-pillar and keep it from rattling around. Sorry guys, wish I took a pic. Just fill behind that metal plate with lots of foam, and just make sure you don't put any on the airbag itself.

67pxc0d-jpg.jpg

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
You know, I was in such a mode of sound dampening everything from the C-pillar to the whole fender well from removing the side panel for my rear speaker installation, I honestly forgot. Now that I have it all together and it's quiet, I'm scared to remove it just for a pic. LOL

What I can do is describe the spot I think really made the difference.

When you take the pillar cover off, you'll see the airbag and gas cylinder. Those are strapped to a metal plate that is actually bolted to the metal C-pillar of the car to prevent movement. However, between the C-pillar and the airbag mounting plate, is a plastic piece of framework that the pillar cover snaps onto. That plastic back plate is what tends to move around and rattle. Here's a pic of the guy who used felt.

You see the little dangling plastic connector that holds onto the pillar panel? That is connected to a plastic backing behind the gas cylinder. It has those holes where the panel cover snaps into. That plastic backing is what makes noise. Now, if you look carefully at the gas cylinder, you'll see the edge of the airbag mounting plate behind it. That plate holds the bag and cylinder to the metal framework of the car. It has a black bolt literally bolting the plate and the airbag itself to the car to hold it solidly in place.

Just fill the foam behind the metal airbag plate, and the fill the gap between it and the plastic framework. As the foam fills that gap and expands, it will push that plastic backing against the C-pillar and keep it from rattling around. Sorry guys, wish I took a pic. Just fill behind that metal plate with lots of foam, and just make sure you don't put any on the airbag itself.

67pxc0d-jpg.jpg
Thank you for the solution. Is it still holding up? I have a 2015 and it rattles all the time like in this video

OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yes, it's been a few days now, and I went out on the highway several times, and really rung out the car at some high rpm's on some country roads. It's still quiet.

Sponsored

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 5.0 *Velocity Blue* (The fastest color)
Hey guys, new member here. Proud owner of a 2019 GT, Velocity blue. I had the C-Pillar rattle shortly after delivery of my vehicle. I did not want to bring my car back to the dealership just yet (and lose a day or two of driving) so being *somewhat* handy, I did some sleuthing, found the source of the rattle, and fixed it. Posting here in case this helps anyone else. This is super easy, like 1 out of 5 wrenches. ;)

Short video here: youtu.be/XmqcKfnoUBs

Screenshot 2019-07-29 11.54.40.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That is a source of noise for some people, but definitely not the majority. I took the panel off, and even removed the plastic lanyard. Still rattled.

The noise for most is actually back behind the air bag. That's why it's been so maddening to fix.

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
That is a source of noise for some people, but definitely not the majority. I took the panel off, and even removed the plastic lanyard. Still rattled.

The noise for most is actually back behind the air bag. That's why it's been so maddening to fix.
Thanks Condor1970 - In the latter half of the video I address the rattle behind the metal air bag pressure vessel. That is what ended up solving it for me.

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanks Condor1970 - In the latter half of the video I address the rattle behind the metal air bag pressure vessel. That is what ended up solving it for me.
Hey, how do you remove the c-pillar without damaging the clips? I'm too afraid to do it and risk breaking it.

I took it to the dealer hoping they would fix it, but they didn't even bother looking at it I guess because they said they fixed it.

Cheers

emdavis197

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Just pull straight out starting at the top and work your way down. There are 3 clips. It takes a little force but you shouldn’t break anything. Be mindful of the metal clips on the c-pillar cover fastening tabs. They should stay put, but if not keep an eye out for them and slide them back into place before reinstalling.
Sponsored