Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Good god man, WHY?!?!?!
Do you subscribe to the braille method of driving? You're supposed to have your eyes open and scanning the road 7-10 seconds ahead. More dumb-ass computers programmed badly that even on their best are dramatically inferior to your ol' noggin'. If you want to just sit back and ponder the state of the world, hire a taxi or chauffeur.
+1

Who the hell needs this crap unless they are LAZY! I actually drive better since I bought my GT... I swear to cod that everyone has it out for my car. So many near collisions. I drive it HARD when no other cars are around but damn.. It's all a little fishy. Who want's their car to drive for them?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I just built mine on the configurable with Z51 and high rise spoiler. OMG. Pure sex. Claimed <3 seconds 0-60. Not sure why anyone would pay ADM for a GT500 after the C8 reveal. Well done GM. You will be lightening my wallet in the not too distant future.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
3,600lbs is 'light weight' these days? Maybe compared to a 4,000lb+ GT500.

Keep in mind that the $60K car is your Hertz rental car Corvette. The Z51 performance package ($70-80K car) is going to be better than the C7 Z51, which was ballpark GT350 performance. The new GT350 with the cup2 tires is a lot faster. So the C8 Z51 will still be in the ballpark of the current GT350 & GT350R.

The GT500 is suppose to be faster than the GT350R on track so it will probably take Z06/ZR1 package C8's to compete with a GT500.
You have way too high expectations for the GT350. As other member mentioned the track pack GT350 lost to a Z51 corvette on a small track with a second or two. The gap will get larger on bigger tracks. GT350 is close to Camaro ss 1le performance more than a vette z51.

However i have never seen an ss1le compared to Z51 vette and even vette owners thick the ss1le and z51 vette are pretty close in performance. There is a Grandsport vs ss1le track comparison on youtube and the performance gap was similar to the GT350 vs Z51 vette. GT350R is more closer to Z51 and between Grandsport. Base C8 vette with just proper tires should be more than enough to outrun a GT350R if it is equipped with enough cooling.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
You have way too high expectations for the GT350. As other member mentioned the track pack GT350 lost to a Z51 corvette on a small track with a second or two. The gap will get larger on bigger tracks. GT350 is close to Camaro ss 1le performance more than a vette z51.

However i have never seen an ss1le compared to Z51 vette and even vette owners thick the ss1le and z51 vette are pretty close in performance. There is a Grandsport vs ss1le track comparison on youtube and the performance gap was similar to the GT350 vs Z51 vette. GT350R is more closer to Z51 and between Grandsport. Base C8 vette with just proper tires should be more than enough to outrun a GT350R if it is equipped with enough cooling.
I'm sure you also believe Lightning Lap results too.:crackup:

The PP2 is as fast as an SS 1LE for 1 lap. The new GT350 smokes both of them and the C7 Z51 but probably isn't as fast as a Grand Sport. The base C8 is slower than the C8 Z51, how much faster the C8Z51 is to the C7Z51 is to be seen.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Show me where a gt350 smokes a 1le. Really would like to see that link.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
+1

Who the hell needs this crap unless they are LAZY! I actually drive better since I bought my GT... I swear to cod that everyone has it out for my car. So many near collisions. I drive it HARD when no other cars are around but damn.. It's all a little fishy. Who want's their car to drive for them?
It has nothing to do with laziness. None of those things anywhere remotely make the car drive for someone. They just help you watch out for stuff - like I said, another layer of safety. Fact is, front collision avoidance and active braking have proven to reduce crashes significantly across the board (reduced by 43-50%):

https://www.consumerreports.org/aut...king-reduces-car-crashes-injuries-iihs-study/

Also, because the active braking starts before you are able to get your foot on the brake pedal, the severity of the crash is reduced, reducing injury even further than those listed stats (56-64%) if you do get in a wreck. I hope eventually all cars have it, reducing overall crashes significantly, and reducing the risk to me and my family.

I can't tell you how many times I have tried to back out of a spot between two trucks. Before I had cross traffic alert, it was more difficult as I had to pull back fairly far into a drive lane before I could see what was coming, always being in a low, sporty car. With cross traffic alert you are alerted before you get that far out. It's a nice feature.

Blind spot monitoring is great, another layer - I always use my mirrors and never rely on the technology, but its nice to have confirmation that something is in your blind spot. In fact, I keep my side view mirrors angled out far enough such that I can see a car in what is traditionally considered a blind spot.

And who doesn't want to avoid hitting a pedestrian who might be blocked by the A-pillar temporarily? It's a nice feature although that the car will brake, but it's never activated in my car because I pay attention.

Knowing these things are working behind the scenes gives me warm fuzzies so to speak, even if I don't rely on them myself to be a safe driver.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Ford fanboys and Chevy fanboys are either Ignorant or very Naive?

The New 2020 C8 weighs 3,366lbs.

Ford GT500 approx 4,200lbs. Wouldn't surprise me if it came in even heavier.

The C8 Z51 will weigh at least 600lbs less than a GT500. That's the weight of Four college girls. Imagine having 4 people in your car weighing you down in the 0-60MPH, Quarter mile and the Road course?

Chevy dealers are taking orders TODAY at MSRP which will probably be $59,995.00

1LT is the car for driving purists who want the lightest Stingray possible, but one that's still very well equipped:
  • 8-Way Power GT1 Seats
  • GT1 Seats – Mulan Leather
  • Keyless Access with Push-Button Start
  • Driver Mode Selector and Valet Mode
  • Dual-Zone Electronic Climate Control
  • Locking Glove Box
  • HD Rear Vision Camera and Rear Park Assist†
  • Leather-Wrapped Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel
  • Bose 10-speaker Audio System
  • SiriusXM Satellite Radio®† for Three Months
  • 8-inch Diagonal Color touch-screen
  • Chevrolet Infotainment 3 System†
  • 12-inch Color Driver Information Center
  • Bluetooth® Phone Connection† and Phone Projection
  • Steering Wheel-Mounted Controls
  • Power Windows Express-Up/-Down
  • Visors with Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
  • Power Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel
  • Cabin Air Filtration
  • .... and a whole lot more
Just add the Z51 option ($5,000 on the C7) and you have a really nice ride for about $68,000.00 including Destination fees.

Michelin PS4 Performance Tires
Performance Suspension
Adjustable Threaded Spring Seats
Larger Brake Rotors with Z51 Logo on Calipers
Enhanced Cooling
ELSD With Specific Axle Ratio
Rear Spoiler and Front Splitter
Front Brake Inlets
Performance Exhaust
Available Magnetic Ride Control with PTM

0 to 60MPH less than <2.99 seconds and will do it consistently. Very little Traction ISSUES.

Z06 and ZR1 Corvettes have a really hard time getting lower than 3.7 consistently because of traction issues.

That's why Porsches with Mid/Rear engine and PDK are so fast with almost Zero traction issues.

GT500 will NEVER see 2.9, never. 3.3 with a prepped track probably at best.

The GT500 has the same problem the Front engine C7s had, traction issue. Chevy said they reached the maximum potential with a Rear Wheel, front-engine setup.

In fact, Chevy added the ZR1 Corvette with 755HP. It's 0-60 time was ONLY 1 tenth better at 2.85 vs 2.95 for the Z06.

GM said the Higher HP had nothing to do with the faster time, rather it got stickier tires. The Z06 according to GM is when they realized more HP would NOT make the car faster using the existing platform.

Ford Fanboys should be thanking Chevy for building such an awesome car. This will only make the Mustang better and Dealers will have a really hard time now with ADM (Price markups over MSRP).

This C8 Z51 will destroy the GT350s time of 7:32:17 at NĂĽrburgring.

Wouldn't surprise me if it came real close to the ZL1 1LE which smoked the GT350 with 7:16 time.

The C8 Z51 has changed the Game. No car can call itself a Supercar unless it does Less than 2.99, that's the benchmark that will be in everyone's head.

When the C8 Z06 hits the streets around 2021/2022 with approx 760HP, watch out. It will beat just about every Mass-Produced car on the planet.

These are great times to be a car guy.

New 2020 C8 Corvette.png

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Fortunately, most buyers are not looking for the absolutely best performing car of the lot. Will there be buyers who forego a GT590 to get a C8 Vette? Yep. But a Mustang enthusiast will choose the GT500 over the Vette all day long. GT500 sales will not be negativity affected by the C8. Ford will sell as many as they build.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Fortunately, most buyers are not looking for the absolutely best performing car of the lot. Will there be buyers who forego a GT590 to get a C8 Vette? Yep. But a Mustang enthusiast will choose the GT500 over the Vette all day long. GT500 sales will not be negativity affected by the C8. Ford will sell as many as they build.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't surprise me if it came real close to the ZL1 1LE which smoked the GT350 with 7:16 time.
who is the fanboy exactly? Given similar HP the C8 will probably be within a couple seconds assuming equivalent conditions and tire selection and driver. But it's really rather amusing to me why any of this matters. Not one of us here can match a professional or even semi-pro in skill and don't have a prayer of hitting those numbers anyway.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ford fanboys and Chevy fanboys are either Ignorant or very Naive?

The New 2020 C8 weighs 3,366lbs.

Ford GT500 approx 4,200lbs. Wouldn't surprise me if it came in even heavier.
Oh the irony. Do you know the difference between "dry" and "curb" weight?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GT500 won't be anywhere remotely close to being a match on a track. Completely different car and purpose- C8 is purpose built, mid-engined, ligthweight true sportscar. I believe GT500 will still find its customers, but hopefully it will be a lesson for dealers trying to charge insane ADMs...
I think lightweight went by the wayside a little in lieu of affordable/convenient. The ME Corvette is pretty heavy for how small the cabin will be. But on the bright side you can store two sets of golf clubs in it. :frown: Don't get me wrong, I think GM did a good job, because the majority of buyers probably want that storage more than they want to save 100-200 lbs by having GM make the car smaller.

Derp, my mistake. Rear-Engine. I can't believe I said mid...

Max-building is different from just building the car to the needed specs for performance. Max-building a GT500 is brutal with the painted stripes. A 1LT, Z51 Magnaride C7 with destination is $63,790 MSRP. A base GT500 with delivery and gas guzzler is $73,995. The track pack GT500 is $92,495.

The GT500 and C8 are both incredible options, no doubt. Personally, and others here and elsewhere it seems, the C8 Z51 offers a better value and more interesting package. But this could be like the launch Z06 where it has issues, we'll have to wait and see.
I agree that the C8 vs. GT500 looks like an interesting rivalry and as far as I can see the C8 is much more desirable at the prices we can assume.

C7s are not as fast, handle as well, or ride as well without magneride. You appear to be correct that magneride continues to be a standalone option. Maybe it's not necessary to hit 0-60 under 3 seconds but it's for sure necessary to compete with magneride equipped GT350 & 500s.

You also seem to be right that the Z51 package will not be compounded with more expensive seats, so maybe it is possible to get a Z51 Magneride car for just under $70K.

EDIT - Out the door a GT350 is $60,235 with destination & delivery. So the C8 Z51 is still $10K more ($6-7K at best) for similar, maybe slightly better performance.

I'm not buying the 400lbs of Downforce with the as shown spoiler, since there is no mention or specifics on the tall spoiler. The ZR1 has a tall spoiler and it makes more Downforce than the decklid spoiler. I doubt the tall spoiler would make even more than 400lbs of downforce (assuming you were right that it was for the small one).
So, the thing about comparing the GT350 to the C8 Z51 is that the GT350 now has what I would call "cheater tires". Those Cup 2 tires that throw rocks all over the car and wear out super quickly. If I were buying a new GT350 I would want to replace the tires right away with something more practical. That's an additional cost if I considered a 2020 GT350, which I really wanted about 6 months ago before I learned about all the changes Ford made to the car (tires and interior changes really turned me off the most. I love the swing and I thought I wanted the green color on St. Patrick's day).

The C8 Z51 has 4S tires, I believe, which are the better choice for street + track driving in my opinion.

And the final point I have is that the GT350 has a manual transmission. I think the C8 seems awesome, but without a manual transmission - the truth is I would probably only ever buy one if I lost a leg or had some other severe injury that completely prevented me from using a clutch.

So frankly I don't think the C8 and GT350 is a good comparison. They are too different. GT500 vs. C8 is much better, because those that want a DCT (or are at least willing to purchase a car with a DCT) would be interested in both of those cars.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
But generous dimensions also mean mass, especially at the Corvette's aggressive price that doesn't allow engineers to throw endless expensive lightweight materials at it. Chevy is being coy on weight by only divulging a dry-weight figure of 3366 pounds. That implies a curb weight of roughly 3600 pounds, which is about 150 pounds heavier than the C7 (which itself gained 100 pounds over the C6). That makes it far heavier than the mid-engined cadre, more than 400 pounds above the lightest, such as the Cayman and the McLarens. Only the Audi R8 and the Acura NSX, which is laden with electric motors and a battery pack, weigh more.

Yes the C8 will weigh 3366 pounds. Yolo has gotten dumber over time.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
But generous dimensions also mean mass, especially at the Corvette's aggressive price that doesn't allow engineers to throw endless expensive lightweight materials at it. Chevy is being coy on weight by only divulging a dry-weight figure of 3366 pounds. That implies a curb weight of roughly 3600 pounds, which is about 150 pounds heavier than the C7 (which itself gained 100 pounds over the C6). That makes it far heavier than the mid-engined cadre, more than 400 pounds above the lightest, such as the Cayman and the McLarens. Only the Audi R8 and the Acura NSX, which is laden with electric motors and a battery pack, weigh more.

Yes the C8 will weigh 3366 pounds. Yolo has gotten dumber over time.
I agree the weight number will trick some people for a few days, but the truth will come out that the C8 is actually pretty heavy.

What I'm the most curious about is how fun will it be to drive on the street? I've driven some Porsches and found them to be boring due to an excess of mechanical grip and a dearth of low end torque. The V8 in the Corvette will help it to be enjoyable in my opinion. It should be interesting. I definitely will want to drive one in a few years when the hubub calms down a little.

I wish the removable top had been changed to an option instead of standard on the C8. That was one reason I didn't buy a C7 is I didn't love the removable top.
Sponsored