Sponsored

2020 60k Mid-engine Corvette, what now?

brpec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4WD
I'm very impresses by that car, and for the price.

do you guys think that many people that are considering a GT500 will move towards the Corvette? since its cheaper and has a super car looks.

what's your opinion?
Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I think it looks too much like a Camaro from the rear.

Shadow17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

do you guys think that many people that are considering a GT500 will move towards the Corvette? since its cheaper and has a super car looks.

what's your opinion?
I think both yes and no. The GT500 will be quite a bit faster in a straight line unless the C8 is insanely light (takes a lot of weight savings to make up 265 hp). They both will most likely have large ADM's at first so the prices might be close to even. However after that I definitely think it will sway at least a few customers that aren't already biased to one or the other.

geoking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
31,34,48 and 2019 Fords + a 58& 66 Chevy trucks

what's your opinion?
yes, some will be forced to go towards the C8. I applied to purchase a Ford GT and was sent a letter.....
"sorry you werent picked but thanks for your continued interest in Ford products ". I asked dealer after dealer to sell me a GT500 CFTP with stripes. Hmmmmm, a unicorn. GM sent me an email last night with a reserve yours now button. It's not about my choice of moving away from Ford as much as Ford not having an allocation of a product for me to purchase.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I think both yes and no. The GT500 will be quite a bit faster in a straight line unless the C8 is insanely light (takes a lot of weight savings to make up 265 hp). They both will most likely have large ADM's at first so the prices might be close to even. However after that I definitely think it will sway at least a few customers that aren't already biased to one or the other.
We’ll have to see what C8 quarter mile is like, but right now, Tadge Juechter is saying 0-60 in < 3s, while Carl Widman is saying 0-60 in mid-3 seconds range for GT500. That has C8 faster. Having mass over the rear wheels, 400+ lbs of downforce, and a very stiff chassis make it likely that the C8 can continue putting the power down better through the quarter. Maybe the extra hp allows GT500 to catch C8...maybe not. But then there are Grand Sport and Z06 versions coming, so there’s that.

Per the C8 press release, dry weight is 3,366 lbs.

Sponsored

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
From my past experience Corvette dealers don't play the adm game nearly as much as Ford dealers. They simply build too many. The first year of C7 approached 40,000 units. Plus, they get more allocations the more they sell. They don't have any reason to sit on the cars for a whole model year like some Ford dealers will do with a "specialty" Mustang. And with this car coming in around 3350lbs, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't right there with the GT500 in a straight line, and absolutely dominate it on a road course. We're talking almost 1000lbs weight difference.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
This car shows that every Mustang variant past the GT is overpriced.
For the performance difference, anything but a base model GT with PP2 is over priced. C8 is about 8K more than a well spec'd BULLITT or premium PP2, cheaper than a GT350, with lots more performance. Can you imagine what would happen if they dropped a lower model with say a 330HP turbo 4 or a 420hp TTv6? With its weight it would still haul. It weighs less than a Focus RS.

I'm pretty sure GM just gave a big middle finger to the Supra.

Shadow17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
From my past experience Corvette dealers don't play the adm game nearly as much as Ford dealers. They simply build too many. The first year of C7 approached 40,000 units. Plus, they get more allocations the more they sell. They don't have any reason to sit on the cars for a whole model year like some Ford dealers will do with a "specialty" Mustang. And with this car coming in around 3350lbs, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't right there with the GT500 in a straight line, and absolutely dominate it on a road course. We're talking almost 1000lbs weight difference.
I agree that the GT500 is going to be much much heavier but we are talking Hellcat vs stock V8 Camaro/Mustang HP difference here. And I still think a Hellcat with two fat passengers is going to win the race provided it hooks up.

Tim_bits

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timmer
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram and 2020 GT500
I am sticking with the GT500 since I want a Mustang pure and simple. I think the C8 is amazing looking and the performance sounds like it is going to be great but it is not the Mustang that I’ve admired and enjoyed all my life.

I think we so often get in dick measuring contests regarding performance and weight that ultimately doesn’t matter for most of us who will only drive the car for leisure.

Chevy did it right though in the design. That thing looks like the super car that the Vette should be.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I am sticking with the GT500 since I want a Mustang pure and simple. I think the C8 is amazing looking and the performance sounds like it is going to be great but it is not the Mustang that I’ve admired and enjoyed all my life.

I think we so often get in dick measuring contests regarding performance and weight that ultimately doesn’t matter for most of us who will only drive the car for leisure.

Chevy did it right though in the design. That thing looks like the super car that the Vette should be.
I'm a manual fan so I'd rule out both until I either cant buy manuals anymore or I have knee problems, but I'd honestly say if I had to pick one it would be the Vette, and I never thought I'd pick a GM product over a Ford. I'd like to see Z51 pricing, but for the buck I feel like GM just really changed the game and is a better buy than the GT500 unless you are doing LOTS of straight line racing.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
It was 3,366lbs dry. That's a good 250-300lbs lighter than when it's full of fuel, oil, and water. It'll be over 3,600lbs.

The more expensive Z51 is the car that goes 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. The non Z51 likely will be at or just over 3 seconds. Still faster than a GT500 but up top the 500 should be faster. The Z51 is claimed to have 400lbs of downforce, which isn't too far off the GT500 track car, but it does not have cup2 tires.

For the performance difference, anything but a base model GT with PP2 is over priced. C8 is about 8K more than a well spec'd BULLITT or premium PP2, cheaper than a GT350, with lots more performance. Can you imagine what would happen if they dropped a lower model with say a 330HP turbo 4 or a 420hp TTv6? With its weight it would still haul. It weighs less than a Focus RS.

I'm pretty sure GM just gave a big middle finger to the Supra.
The C8 is about the same price as the GT350. The GT350 has cup2 tires and is faster than the C7 Z51. The C8 Z51 is probably a $70-80K car.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
I have owned 4 Corvettes two C5 Z06’s, one C6 Z06 and recently the C7 Z51 Stingray. I’ll sign up for the new C8 and keep my GT and pass on the GT500. For me I have owned many of vehicles and I mean many but never a mid engine so that will be a nice change up.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase

what's your opinion?
It all depends if you bleed blue.
Sponsored