Sponsored

New ZL1 Camaro?? Picture inside! Edit: C8 Corvette

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
Very impressive package, the customization level is really good to see. The first thing I thought was that the black accent on the air intake would look better in my opinion as a body color, and I see that you can configure that it many ways. I know manual's are going the way of the dodo, but I wonder if there will be any such option in the future. Sub 3 sec 0-60? I will definitely look forward to seeing if that comes to light when they are tested. In my opinion, I wish they had gone with a more rounded taillight shape, heck even the 2019 Camaro tail has the rounded lights, to me it is a Corvette staple that has been lacking this last generation. However, I doubt you will be able to get a base C8 for $59K, it will be a 10K markup most likely, but we shall see.
Sponsored

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone think that this latest version of the Vette, strays too far from the formula that made it what it is? A front engine, rear drive American sports car? Reminds me when Harley came up with the V-Rod years back...A high tech, DOHC four valve V twin to modernize their performance and image but guess what...A Harley is not a Harley unless it is an air cooled push rod V twin and that is still what the majority of their customers want.
That is a great question, although in my opinion, it will sell very well. They have been talking about the MR configuration for awhile now, and I do believe they hit the limitations of the FR platform and needed to step to the next level. It is a radical departure in every way though, it is going to take some getting used to, as the MR platform forces the design language akin to Ferrari, Lambo, etc... and it really doesn't scream "Corvette" right now. I do wonder what issues they will encounter once they are in the wild.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
This LT2 shares ALOT with the current gen LT1 meaning the after market already exists for this car.

6-700HP NA Mid engine Vettes will be wrecking feelings left and right.

At this price point buy the cheapest one you can find and let the aftermarket do the rest and literally go hunting cars that cost double or triple or more the price after youve spent less than 6 figures..........

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
Does anyone think that this latest version of the Vette, strays too far from the formula that made it what it is? A front engine, rear drive American sports car? Reminds me when Harley came up with the V-Rod years back...A high tech, DOHC four valve V twin to modernize their performance and image but guess what...A Harley is not a Harley unless it is an air cooled push rod V twin and that is still what the majority of their customers want.
They've been wanting to make it mid engine since the 60s ZORA had a vision for that car and it took all the way until 2020 to make it happen the vette actually has mid engine in its heritage.

Sponsored

Nikko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue GT PP1
So my take, for as little as its worth, is that I really like the design, but it doesn't say "Corvette" to me. The front looks McClaren, side is Ferrari/Ford GT, and rear is Lambo. I see bits of vette sprinkled in, but like I said, doesn't say "vette".

That said its a great package for under 60K. I have a feeling that the new 911 is going to have its work cut out, and GT350's are going to be really working at the track to try and catch up. We'll have to wait to see what the real performance numbers are for the base model, but its going to be hard to justify a GT350 at 60+K vs the new sub-60 vette, dealer markups aside.

I've never been a vette fan, but I like what this car offers.
When there were initial talks about the vette going mid-engine I thought the exact same thing. Outside of it having an LT2 under the hood...errr behind the seat, I feel like it is not really a corvette anymore in my opinion.

With that said, what they have shown so far is so impressive that it makes those feelings become an after thought for me.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Lol, the vrod is the best looking bike harley made It was also the fastest. I dont know what harley makes now, but i think they can finally beat the vrod, which started production what 2001? I love my night rod special, its a bad ass looking bike and glad it isnt a typical harley: dyna, sportster, glide... lol

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I will first start off by saying the under 3 second 0-60 is BS. They said the C7 ZR1 can do it in the same 2.95 and lets be honest no corvette will do sub 3 second 0-60. I also noticed if you look at the brakes granted its the base model but generic calipers not aluminum hats like the 350 or 500 nothing special at all looks cost saving. Pilot Sport 4s on the z51 performance model non cup 2's and they said on skid pad it would do 1.03-1.05 lateral g when the 350 and R are already at 1.09 and 1.10 respectively. Then lets go to the engine yes its naturally aspirated and makes good power but in my opinion who cares its an old push rod v8 that revs out to 6500 not impressive at all would much rather have an experience with the voodoo or predator. 245 tires up front hope the suspension is all worked out because that turn in cant be too good. Don't get me wrong its good value but there is nothing special about it at all besides mid engine layout. I'm not impressed too much until the z06 or zr1 come out.
Im not defending the c8, but this is the base model car. We cant judge the base specially since its new. Its like judging an eco boost and saying it has puny brakes. The c8z and zr1 will be the real vette to get. Do more research before commenting on front wheel width. The mclarens, porsches and ferraris that are mid engine, have skinny 245 fronts. The grip with the mid engine layout is all about the rear.

One things for sure, this will beat a gt350 and gt350r. LOL

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Nice looking car, but the back end is styled too much like a Camaro....

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
This LT2 shares ALOT with the current gen LT1 meaning the after market already exists for this car.

6-700HP NA Mid engine Vettes will be wrecking feelings left and right.

At this price point buy the cheapest one you can find and let the aftermarket do the rest and literally go hunting cars that cost double or triple or more the price after youve spent less than 6 figures..........
Yes it will...
I cant wait for that 700HP car, dont need the 800 HP version. Cause really, 650 and this car will be scary as hell!

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
GM is killing the Camaro and trying to make everyone a Vette owner LOL.....

Not a bad move IMO.

Davy_Baby9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRD
The formula for the Corvette was always best bang for the buck sports car that could compete with the worlds best. I don’t think it matters where the engine is placed, and they have wanted to do this since the 1960’s. To take the next step in performance they wanted to go mid-engine, but it still fits the same formula of Corvette imo.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Im not defending the c8, but this is the base model car. We cant judge the base specially since its new. Its like judging an eco boost and saying it has puny brakes. The c8z and zr1 will be the real vette to get. Do more research before commenting on front wheel width. The mclarens, porsches and ferraris that are mid engine, have skinny 245 fronts. The grip with the mid engine layout is all about the rear.

One things for sure, this will beat a gt350 and gt350r. LOL
It may beat a GT350R, but it wont be as fun to drive IMO, plus the exhaust is killer. IMO the GT350R will be the last great driver car/all gasoline mustangs, get one while you can. Other than that, give me a Z06 mid engine all day long and twice on Sunday. Let's gooo!!

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I am pretty impressed with what I have seen so far on the C8. Rear end is a little off looking but I would need to see it in person. Other than that, it looks like a Corvette still. Looks like it will be one hell of a performer

Given the pricing, as much as I like the GT350, I'd spend a little more and get the C8 without question. Ford execs are probably fuming given the GT500 pricing.
This ^ if I had that kind of coin to throw at a third car sign me up for the C8.

Nice looking car, but the back end is styled too much like a Camaro....
I can see how some would say that, but IMO the Camaro rear end borrowed from the C7. So I see evolution of the C7

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
Great looking car at an even better price. I need to start a Corvette fund.
I think there are enough design elements that still make it a Corvette and I like that in the article I read it boasted of it's utility, being able to carry two bags of golf clubs. I just hope they offer a manual at some point.
The GT500 seems less exciting and overpriced now. Plus we don't know how much it weighs yet.
Sponsored