Sponsored

Let's talk about the C8 vs the GT500

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
What do you guys think after the reveal of the C8? How are these cars going to match up around a track and on the strip in your opinion? As the GT500 has more horsepower and still has a DCT but the gt500 has a 7 speed whereas the vette has an 8 speed DCT etc. I still want to know weight of both cars etc. What do you guys think? The price shocked me!
Sponsored

Last edited:

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Looks like a wet Z51 Vette will come in around 3600 lbs (dry at around 3350), and the GT500 in all likelihood will come in around 4100 lbs.

The GT500 will likely still be faster on the strip, but will be playing catchup after likely a slower 1/8th due to launch advantage on the C8. The track will be more dependant on if it is a high speed (power advantage) or not.

The C8 was very surprising in terms of performance. We'll see how it comes out in real world conditions.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was surprised by the price of the C8 - starting at $60K - and to me, that should put pressure on the GT500. The GT500 has more horsepower, but I would be surprised if it is faster around a track than the C8 due to weight. And that $60K is MSRP, so if it follows historical Corvette pricing, it may be had for less than that.

Obsessed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Less than 60k vs 70k+ for the GT500.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Yeah... the pricing on the Vette makes the GT500 a bit less appealing. Especially because of the likelihood of ADM on the GT500, while the Vette will likely just be at MSRP as it will be more mass produced.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dirty-max

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah... the pricing on the Vette makes the GT500 a bit less appealing. Especially because of the likelihood of ADM on the GT500, while the Vette will likely just be at MSRP as it will be more mass produced.
Maybe this will put more pressure on dealers to sell GT500s at MSRP lol

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Maybe this will put more pressure on dealers to sell GT500s at MSRP lol
The twits that are willing to pay the ADM are the only reason it exists. It's lame because it ends up putting many of those cars into the hands of buyers that dont even use them. For example, I've seen one 350R at the track... one. Wtf else would you buy it for? The garage I guess.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
And that $60K is MSRP, so if it follows historical Corvette pricing, it may be had for less than that.
I honestly have no idea how they think they're going to be able to produce a mid-engined Corvette for $60k. I mean, the Fiat 4C is a 4-cylinder mid-engine car, and it starts at $67k. Granted, the 4C has a carbon fiber passenger tub, which definitely adds cost, but it's 25% smaller than the Corvette, has fewer cylinders, and is certainly not built for the all-out speed that the Corvette is built for.

Maybe they're ok with losing money on the base Corvette sales (they sell, what, 3,000 a year?) to make it up on the Z06/Z07, ZR1, etc.

JR

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I honestly have no idea how they think they're going to be able to produce a mid-engined Corvette for $60k. I mean, the Fiat 4C is a 4-cylinder mid-engine car, and it starts at $67k. Granted, the 4C has a carbon fiber passenger tub, which definitely adds cost, but it's 25% smaller than the Corvette, has fewer cylinders, and is certainly not built for the all-out speed that the Corvette is built for.

Maybe they're ok with losing money on the base Corvette sales (they sell, what, 3,000 a year?) to make it up on the Z06/Z07, ZR1, etc.

JR
When I was still at GM, my office was very close to the Corvette and Camaro team’s office areas. I walked past Tadge’s office on my way in and out everyday and my team supported his team with competitor information. In getting the program approved for production, Tadge demonstrated how the cost to produce the ME C8 was reasonably incremental to the cost to produce the FE C7. To be honest, he had already made the similar analysis successfully for transition from FE C6 to ME C7, but then there was this little financial crisis thing. :frown: He also said then that the pricing of the C8 would be reasonably incremental to the pricing of similar trim / power level C7 models and still be profitable. Trust me, the program would NOT have been green-lit without showing a profit.

Now, I was expecting that to mean C8 would come in around low to mid 70’s...just above Camaro ZL1. But $60k? Probably $65k with Z51? :clap: Can’t wait to see pricing on Z06.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51

JR
2014 was the first year of the C7 Vette and they built 37,288. Expect similar numbers as the C8 is now a world car with a right-hand drive option.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dirty-max

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Id think the Z51 Package racks the car up to around 80-90k who knows though.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Id think the Z51 Package racks the car up to around 80-90k who knows though.
Normally it's the interior trim options that jack up the price on the Corvettes.

I will say I think the new C8 looks amazing and because it's completely new it looks fresh, unlike the GT500 that will be on the sixth year of the S550 platform. It's put my GT500 purchase on pause until I see some real-world performance numbers from each car when they get in people's hands.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Normally it's the interior trim options that jack up the price on the Corvettes.

I will say I think the new C8 looks amazing and because it's completely new it's fresh, unlike the GT500 that will be on the sixth year of the S550 platform. It's put my GT500 purchase on pause until I see some real-world performance numbers from each car when they get in people's hands.
Agreed. I have a C7 GS and was thinking about coming back to Ford in a few years, but if the C8 DCT makes me swoon, I doubt I will be.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
IDK how the new C8 will do against the GT500, but Chevy seems to have hit a home run if not a grand slam. I like the C8 in almost every way (well those 100 buttons on the center console are pretty funny). 0-60mph in under 3 secs at 495hp? Nice. The GT500 is estimated at 0-60mph around 3.5 secs with 760hp. All that weight savings and mid-engine design, nice. I can't even begin to imagine how fast the C8 ZR1 will be. But the base C8 is gonna sell like hotcakes.
Sponsored