Sponsored

Is Boostane really that bad for our cars?

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/octane-limit.125666/

Since every few threads in the FI section suggest using octane boosters to get the knock protection we need in areas that don’t have E85, wondering how bad it really is. Livernois says is pretty bad, what gives. Just from reading the FI section seems like everyone is using it. Anyone with high miles/boostane use have any real world problems to report? Would think if it messes up the upstream O2’s might not be that good.
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I've used it for a year and have a buddy who used it the same way for 2 years without issue. We used 10 oz (1/3 bottle) in every tank of 93 (makes like 98 octane) and we've not had any ill side affects aside from orange discoloration to the 02's and plugs. Boostane is better than the rest of the MMT octane boosters because of the carrier component that keep the MMT suspended. Yes it will shorten the life of the plugs and the 02's, but not extremely. My buddy ran his setup with it without issue to the plugs and 02's for 2 years and I'm on a year. I will however do plugs every year about 7k miles and 02's 2 years as a good preventative measure.

If I had E85 I would use that, but there isn't many other good alternatives to getting affordable octane increase for a daily drive street car making 750 plus wheel.

motodad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Whipple Boosted; 2020 F350 PSD
Vehicle Showcase
I had never even heard of Boostane until Whipple recommended I use it when I was researching superchargers. Not something I read; they recommended it over the phone! Since the SC install (18 months ago) I use 1 small can with each 91 octane fill-up. Every 2-3 fill-ups instead of Boostane/91 mix, I will do a tank full of VP 101 Unleaded. Car runs great on either.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I use Boostane professional in my '18 with a Whipple. I've been using it in every tank for the last 8K miles. No issues.

Sponsored

lx347cd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT and 2003 Cobra
I use Torco in my Cobra and have not had any issues other than orange tint color plugs but I change my plugs every year. I also have Boostane and will be trying that next but it should have same effect in my opinion.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Has anyone actually experienced verified, actual failure of O2's, Catalysts or pre-ignition issues due to 'buildup' from Boostane? I too have read the issues about buildup/catalyst and O2 degradation, even though Boostane claims with their product that's not an issue.

I use it only for track and dyno outings personally, which have been around 1500 miles worth of driving at this point, not enough time to really know anything. I also noticed that Whipple recommends it, and my thought process is that if they offer a Powertrain warranty for 3/36, I would find it hard to believe that if it can cause damage they would recommend using it when their warranty would cover any related damages.

I have another fellow racer who uses it with me, this picture is from a 2018 Scat Pack that has ran 2 tanks through mixed at around 98 Octane according to the can. He recently did Longtubes, and claimed that the catalyst appears to be starting to experience buildup on the brick face. Again, this is just visual and not verified in any way other then that and no way of knowing what the cat looked like prior to using the Boostane. Car has around 1k miles on it so everything is fairly new.

Me personally, until there is proven evidence it is really as bad as some say, will continue to use it for the purpose it was intended. For me, that's track outings which are pretty far and few in between. I just have a hard time believing that as good as Whipple is with their kit/development and such, that they would recommend a product that could compromise their reputation, and their products reliability all while backing it with a warranty if you wish.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
It works great. The difference in timing vs 91 is 6-7 degrees, easy. If I have to replace my plugs a little more frequently, so be it.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
My opinion is. Even if octane booster fouls your o2 sensors. What's cheaper? Replacing an engine or o2 sensors? If your FI you should probably change your plugs a little more often anyway.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
My opinion is. Even if octane booster fouls your o2 sensors. What's cheaper? Replacing an engine or o2 sensors? If your FI you should probably change your plugs a little more often anyway.
I will change my 02 sensors and plugs every year for good measure, but haven't had any issues after a year with mine running 10 oz of boostane in every tank. The 02's and plugs aren't that expensive anyway, so what he hell why not do it and keep them fresh.

Sponsored

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I run 2-3 ounces of Boostane Premium every fill up to make sure I’m always running good 93 on a aggressive 93 tune. Run a full van per tank if I want to run the 100 octane tune. No issues whatsoever with the Boostane.

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
I run 2-3 ounces of Boostane Premium every fill up to make sure I’m always running good 93 on a aggressive 93 tune. Run a full van per tank if I want to run the 100 octane tune. No issues whatsoever with the Boostane.
Not gonna hurt to run full can, but only takes 12oz in10 gallons for 100 octane

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I actually talked to Boostane yesterday. They claim that the mustang will adjust up to about 97 octane without a tune. That's pretty impressive. I think it's a no brainier, especially if you're FI. Added protection.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using Lucas octane booster for years no issues...