Sponsored

Should I sell my Mustang and get a C7 Corvette ?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Haven't had a single issue with my LT1 on track. Also haven't heard of any issues with the DI system.

Aren't the port injectors on the Coyote / Voodoo only used at idle/low rpm? Thought I heard that somewhere. The primary fuel for the Coyote / Voodoo is still the DI side. And if reliability is a concern.. many more parts on a dual fuel / DOHC engine to wear or break. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also like how Chevy 'cheaped out' yet at the same time Ford had to do a V3 coyote to match the HP numbers ;)

If you have the new car itch, go for the C7. Otherwise, you already have the Mustang, and looks like you have it pretty well sorted with the upgrades. Save the money for track time and tires.
The intake valves on direct injection engines can get dirty over time. The reason is that oil vapors from the engine crankcase pass through the intake. Some of that oil can condense on the valves and get cooked onto them. In the direct injection engine there is no fuel washing the intake valves, so there is nothing to wash those oil deposits away. Over time the deposits build up and cause driveability issues.

Yes, having dual injection means there are more potential failure points. In my opinion it's worth it to prevent the valves from getting coked up.

I wish the government would cool it a little because having emissions so stringent that DI is required is really terrible in my opinion.

I didn't realize Camaros had this same issue as the C7 Corvettes. I have never looked at a Camaro seriously enough for purchase to get to that level of detail on how they are built. My advice to you is to get an oil/air separator to minimize your future problems if you are going to keep your Camaro for quite a while

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The intake valves on direct injection engines can get dirty over time. The reason is that oil vapors from the engine crankcase pass through the intake. Some of that oil can condense on the valves and get cooked onto them. In the direct injection engine there is no fuel washing the intake valves, so there is nothing to wash those oil deposits away. Over time the deposits build up and cause driveability issues.

Yes, having dual injection means there are more potential failure points. In my opinion it's worth it to prevent the valves from getting coked up.

I wish the government would cool it a little because having emissions so stringent that DI is required is really terrible in my opinion.

I didn't realize Camaros had this same issue as the C7 Corvettes. I have never looked at a Camaro seriously enough for purchase to get to that level of detail on how they are built. My advice to you is to get an oil/air separator to minimize your future problems if you are going to keep your Camaro for quite a while
The long term C7 Grand Sport trapped a higher speed @ 40k miles than after break-in in the quarter mile, doesn't appear the LT1 is as susceptible to DI issues as the older generation engines like Audi.

EDIT: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527593

117k miles in the truck variant of the LT1, looks pretty good. Maybe add walnut blasting to 100k miles maintenance, and you're done.

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
As I am at the track more and more and have another car for a DD , I am wondering if I should get a C7 , or buy a new set of tires and a diff cooler for the Mustang and send it .....

What to do ?
Rent a C7 Vette for a couple days and see if it's for you.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The long term C7 Grand Sport trapped a higher speed @ 40k miles than after break-in in the quarter mile, doesn't appear the LT1 is as susceptible to DI issues as the older generation engines like Audi.

EDIT: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527593

117k miles in the truck variant of the LT1, looks pretty good. Maybe add walnut blasting to 100k miles maintenance, and you're done.
I'd still buy an oil/air separator if I owned one. I don't trust it.

I wouldn't want walnut shells blasted into my engine and I don't want it torn apart and put back together either.

I wonder how much track time that truck LT1 got?

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase

You do know the the C7 vette and C6 Camaro both use the LT1 and LT4, right? Figured that was fairly common knowledge.

Could you point me to someone who has actually had an issue with this in a vette or camaro? I'm well aware of the potential issue with DI and have done my own research on the matter, but you seem to know more about how this relates to the LT1 than me.

The Voodoo is far from a bulletproof engine, yet you have no issue recommending a GT350..

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
C7s are practically free now a days. If you want a Vette. Now’s the time to buy. A new vette can be had for 45 here in Jersey at kerbeck Chevy.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
LOL. Drive a Vette or a Camaro SS or 1LE.....you'll soon realize that the Mustang is a "sporty car" but far from a sports car.
Everything you type just seams........well.............stupid!

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I sold a 2015 c7 lt2 a8 w/5k miles this past February. Liked the 18 GT better honestly. Much better value proposition and was a tad faster w/ E85 tune only.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You do know the the C7 vette and C6 Camaro both use the LT1 and LT4, right? Figured that was fairly common knowledge.

Could you point me to someone who has actually had an issue with this in a vette or camaro? I'm well aware of the potential issue with DI and have done my own research on the matter, but you seem to know more about how this relates to the LT1 than me.

The Voodoo is far from a bulletproof engine, yet you have no issue recommending a GT350..
Sorry, but the GM alphabet soup engine naming doesn't stick in my head very well. No, I didn't realize the engines were the same. I probably should have, but I just didn't pay that close of attention. I only realized that the C7 'vette had direct injection only just a few months ago when I was shopping for a C7. It was one of the reasons I didn't buy one and decided to go C5 for now.

I don't know why I would assume that one direct injection engine would be better or worse than another with respect to this problem. I'm not trying to portray myself as an expert on GM engines. Especially the most recent ones. I apologize if my earlier post came off that way. Do you know what special things GM did to prevent fouling of the intake valves? Maybe there's already an oil/air separator on those engines and I'm just not aware of it.

I loved my Voodoo engine, and I had no fear bouncing it off the 8,250 rpm rev limiter on track. That engine was terrific. I really miss it. I hope that at some point in my life I can have another car with such an awesome engine. I don't recommend people buy a GT350 despite that engine. I recommend people buy a GT350 BECAUSE of that engine. Of course I think there are a lot of other great things about the GT350, but the Voodoo engine by itself is totally worth the car's purchase price in my opinion.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
The C7 will be more capable, better balance, wider foot print, more aerodynamic, more torque.
Drive them back to back and you will understand. There is a 300-400lb weight difference that is hard to make up, because you can drop weight in the corvette too.

Mustang is a sporty car, but not a sports car. Sports car = lightweight, two seater. Not a 2+2, that would be a GT car. The porsche 911's tip toe that line, but since the rear seat is so fucking small, its considered a sports car. Also, its already light.

If you do not need the rear seats, get the vette. They have a removable hard top which is fucking awesome, and oh yea, the PDR. Ford doesnt have that on any vehicle. This is a great tool to analyze and watch your road course driving.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
If you go this route, spring for the GS - well worth it.
Sponsored