Sponsored

Should I sell my Mustang and get a C7 Corvette ?

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
As I am at the track more and more and have another car for a DD , I am wondering if I should get a C7 , or buy a new set of tires and a diff cooler for the Mustang and send it .....

What to do ?
Sponsored

o-man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
A C7 would be a more capable track car, and I hear they are making deals on them since the C8 is right around the corner. But that still makes for an awfully expensive track toy. If I was looking at a Corvette track car, I'd be looking at a C6 Z51 package car. You already have the Mustang and could make a bunch of mods to it and still have money left over. Just one mans opinion and you know what they say about opinions ;)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
As I am at the track more and more and have another car for a DD , I am wondering if I should get a C7 , or buy a new set of tires and a diff cooler for the Mustang and send it .....

What to do ?
Yes. It's a sports car. Mustang isn't.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Uh huh. And your reasoning is, and you would classify it as what? Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, sure ain't no armadillo.
Pony car, muscle car - call it what you want - or a sports car if you'd like to think about yourself as a sports car owner. As you see I own two and don't own a Vette and don't kid myself it's a sports car. If you had one, you would have known why Mustang isn't.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Pony car, muscle car - call it what you want - or a sports car if you'd like to think about yourself as a sports car owner. As you see I own two and don't own a Vette and don't kid myself it's a sports car. If you had one, you would have known why Mustang isn't.

Pretty sure what you are getting into is categorized as semantics.

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure what you are getting into is categorized as semantics.
Yep, especially since everyone knows it's a grand tourer .... you know GT

:lol:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would go with a GT350 for track use over a C7. Or a PP2 if you are willing to add coolers. I think the engine in the C7 isn't as good for track use as the Mustang. Plus the C7 is a lot heavier than previous year Corvettes, so it no longer has the huge advantage it did in the past.

You will absolutely love a GT350 on track. I can't even tell you how many 'vettes my GT350 passed during different track outings. The GT350 is very quick, fun to drive and you won't have trouble fitting in the cabin with a helmet even if you are a tall guy.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I would go with a GT350 for track use. Or a PP2 if you are willing to add coolers. I think the engine in the C7 isn't as good for track use as the Mustang.

You will absolutely love a GT350 on track.
I'm not sure I could find many people to agree with you about the C7 engine ( unless you are talking Z06s ) . I am also considering a GT350 .

Reactions: dps

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm not sure I could find many people to agree with you about the C7 engine ( unless you are talking Z06s ) . I am also considering a GT350 .
I think the high winding characteristics of the Ford engines are a lot better on track. I also worry about direct injection only on a track car.

I don't understand why GM had to cheap out so much on the engine for their halo car. Dual injection would have been much better in my opinion. And the reliability concerns would be a lot less.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't had a single issue with my LT1 on track. Also haven't heard of any issues with the DI system.

Aren't the port injectors on the Coyote / Voodoo only used at idle/low rpm? Thought I heard that somewhere. The primary fuel for the Coyote / Voodoo is still the DI side. And if reliability is a concern.. many more parts on a dual fuel / DOHC engine to wear or break. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also like how Chevy 'cheaped out' yet at the same time Ford had to do a V3 coyote to match the HP numbers ;)

If you have the new car itch, go for the C7. Otherwise, you already have the Mustang, and looks like you have it pretty well sorted with the upgrades. Save the money for track time and tires.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How advanced of a driver are you? Are you fast enough to overheat the trans and diff?

The Vette is more capable and you need a GT350 to keep up. But if you're hardcore into track driving, get something more track focused.

Possibly something lighter with cheaper running costs (tires, brakes, fuel):

No_Worries_detail_large.png

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Overheating the diff is not hard in the S550 GT , yes I have done it .
Sponsored