How long will you keep it

OP
OP

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
So many varying opinions. I love the guys on here who have owned more cars than they have lived years. For whatever reason going through that many vehicles gives me anxiety so I envy you.

With that being said I do like the idea of owning my gt outright and babying it a little. I am a very sentimental person and don't think I could ever walk away from her.
Sponsored

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
So many varying opinions. I love the guys on here who have owned more cars than they have lived years. For whatever reason going through that many vehicles gives me anxiety so I envy you.

With that being said I do like the idea of owning my gt outright and babying it a little. I am a very sentimental person and don't think I could ever walk away from her.
If you found THAT CAR...absolutely. I want my next to be my last that I own new and will have forever. But I want it to be something special...like a Shelby either 350 or 500..we'll see.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Technology is changing so quickly that cars today are almost becoming a disposable item. I relate it to TVs and Cell phones. Look at a modern car from even 5 years ago and all of the fancy gadgets not only look outdated, but perform poorly when compared to today. Factory navigation for example. Today’s cars don’t age well.

With that being said I won’t keep a newer car more than a few years because of that.

That is what has me stuck on the Terminator. No BS electronic anything. It’s just a machine. I don’t have to worry about my Bluetooth being compatible with my new phone, or if my Nav is up to date.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Technology is changing so quickly that cars today are almost becoming a disposable item. I relate it to TVs and Cell phones. Look at a modern car from even 5 years ago and all of the fancy gadgets not only look outdated, but perform poorly when compared to today. Factory navigation for example. Today’s cars don’t age well.

With that being said I won’t keep a newer car more than a few years because of that.

That is what has me stuck on the Terminator. No BS electronic anything. It’s just a machine. I don’t have to worry about my Bluetooth being compatible with my new phone, or if my Nav is up to date.
I thought I was gonna keep my 04 Cobra for life....I did not. I do miss the car but more importantly I miss how special the car was. But if you compare the interior of the 04 to even the 05 not to mention an 18....well there is no comparison. But she was geared towards power and why not, it's a Muscle Car right?
03819195.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I kept my 2015 GT for about a year. It was a good car, but missing some of the raw character of the 2011 GT I had previously. It was a little too calm for me.

The GT350 I kept for almost 4 years.

I usually don't make a plan for what I'm going to do. I just take things as they come. I really loved the GT350 and I mostly sold it because I wanted to try some other vehicles. Not that I didn't enjoy driving the GT350 any more.

Dang I miss that Voodoo engine.

Sponsored

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I haven't decided yet. If I heavily mod it then I will keep it for very long time. If a really good deal on a GT350, the upcoming GT500 or a Vette comes my way, I might switch. Those are the only cars that would interest me. However it shakes out, I want a V8 car that I can keep long term in world that will eventually be self driving electrics.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Agreed.

Sometimes I ponder finding a '69 Cougar with 428CJ power, which is the one '60s car I've always wanted to own and haven't. I love the old iron that only needs a set of basic tools to fix anything.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Couple of mentions of GT350s as future choices. Quoting myself from another thread:

"The salesman who opened a hood so I could compare also showed me the General Manager's runabout; A GT350 in color Leadfoot, with all the good stuff to include tinted windows. Mmm mmm. He said it is a seventy-five thousand dollar car that I could have for $57,000.

"Does this sound like a good deal? To be honest, I can't see myself spending that kind of money for another car, tempting as it is, but if anyone is interested in this San Diego car with two thousand miles on it, I can supply a salesman—excuse me; I mean Special Finance Manager/ VIP Director—name and telephone number."

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Probably another year.
My Grandson will be 16 then AND he thinks he is getting the car.

My wife has already said; " there's NO WAY my Grandson is driving that car"!!!!!!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If I can help it (self control and future planning mostly), I'll try to get another 4-7 years out of mine. That would let me save up for a down payment on a house and do some good damage to my student loans. I don't know if I'll be able to make it anywhere near the 7 years though, that's an eternity for a car, but if I do, the landscape for new cars will hopefully be dramatically different with EVs well refined and affordable.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Well till hell freezes over and I run out of gas to keep the car running and the heater going.

abharwani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT Premium
The longest I've owned a car is 3 years, trying to go for 4+ with this car.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I don't have any plans to sell, unless it becomes a huge hooptie and money pit. I still have my first car from HS, 12 years and counting.

olatsfoots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
Curious how long you all plan on keeping your s550 mustangs?

I've been noticing a lot of people who are happy to beat on their car very hard because the warranty is still in place. Do you plan to trade in or sell before the warranty expires or keep it?

I baby my car in some ways and abuse it in others but I'm mostly concerned about it getting to 100k+ miles before any major repairs are needed. I'd like to keep this car for a very very long time if storage space allows for it.

I will say after this mustang any car I buy I could easily dump and replace after 5 years. But the s550 is special. Plus I am skeptical if the next gen mustang will be this beautiful .
I'm 50 years old and have never kept a car longer than 4 years. I'm on my sixth 'stang now - 2019 GT. Paying close attention to plans for the new platform (s650?) Oh, and I always buy my cars brand new.....because of what you mentioned regarding people who 'beat on their car'!

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Forever

Retiring in a couple years and I won’t have the money to buy another $40k + car. Hope it’s paid off by then ... lol
Sponsored