Sponsored

Ecoboost or Bullitt

treecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium 6 speed manual, F-450 pickup, Jeep TJ. Dodge Ram Cummins diesel 2500
I haven't driven a car for 20 years. My daily driver is a Diesel Ram pickup with a 6 speed manual. I also have a F-450 auto trans and a TJ Jeep manual. I'm set on ordering a Mustang Bullitt but I'm wondering if I would have as much fun with a manual Ecoboost. It seems to me that all the EC's I have seen have auto trans 10 speeds. I prefer manual plus I'm thinking that a manual EC might be harder to resale later on as I assume many enthusiasts prefer manuals with GT's and up. A Bullit will cost me $25,000 more than a EC but I'm thinking there will be a solid resale value in it as opposed to an EC. Thanks for your opinions and happy driving.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
What do you value more? Extra performance. Or 25 large in Your bank account?

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I haven't driven a car for 20 years. My daily driver is a Diesel Ram pickup with a 6 speed manual. I also have a F-450 auto trans and a TJ Jeep manual. I'm set on ordering a Mustang Bullitt but I'm wondering if I would have as much fun with a manual Ecoboost. It seems to me that all the EC's I have seen have auto trans 10 speeds. I prefer manual plus I'm thinking that a manual EC might be harder to resale later on as I assume many enthusiasts prefer manuals with GT's and up. A Bullit will cost me $25,000 more than a EC but I'm thinking there will be a solid resale value in it as opposed to an EC. Thanks for your opinions and happy driving.
The easy answer is: NO

In other words, to me anyway, worrying about resale value on a performance car is completely missing the point.

But I could be wrong....

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Welcome! I started off with a 15 EB PP premium auto 6 speed. Was a great car and fun to drive. Only downside was the sound of the exhaust. Traded it for a 15 GT manual premium but no PP (Performance Pack) either one will put a smile on your face. Go to the dealership and test drive both to see which one you like better. EB will perform better on 93 octane and most have 87 in the tank at the dealerships. Good luck with either one you get. Post pictures once you get one

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I think you mean you haven't drive a automatic car in 20 years???? And you're considering either a Bullit or an EB??

Anyways.....if you're worried about resale value, the better focus is on buying the car as cheaply as possible. Thousands and thousands off MSRP. Then you know you'll be o.k. when it's time for the car to go.

Since dealerships aren't discounting Bullit Mustangs, that's not an option. Plus, they won't have better resale percentages.

Really, you should buy a PP1/MT82 (Performance Pack 1/manual transmission) GT, and get it for the biggest $$ off MSRP you can get. That way you have the thrilling performance, and the peace of mind.

Sponsored

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
I would say if you can find the new HPO Mustang Ecoboost in manual for a good price to go with that.

Otherwise go with the Bullit, the stock Ecoboost will probably not make you happy.

OP
OP
treecutter

treecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost Premium 6 speed manual, F-450 pickup, Jeep TJ. Dodge Ram Cummins diesel 2500
The closest thing I've driven to a car in the last 20 years is my Jeep TJ. 2 weeks ago my F-450 broke down ( diesel emissions DEF problem ) and the dealer gave me a Fiesta to drive around in. Lots of fun. So I figured a Mustang would be even more fun to have. I test drove a Bullitt and loved it. great color, every option, limited edition, I would have bought it right there but I didn't like the recarro seats so I'm planning to order a 2020 Bullitt, but I just want to keep my options open. If I can save $25,000 and have just as much fun with an EB It's something to consider. One question I have is: What is the lowest cruising speed I can be at in 6th gear. The speed limits in my area are 80 kl or 50 mph. I generally do 55 mph and I could probably get away with 60 mph but here in Ontario, besides big fines, and demerit point which directly goes to insurance companies and raises your rate I don't plan to speed. So............ can I be in 6th at 55 mph? I plan to get thrills accelerating 0 -60 but I won't speed.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
........I test drove a Bullitt and loved it......If I can save $25,000 and have just as much fun with an EB It's something to consider.......
How about saving $15,000 and having the same driving experience as the Bullit?

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I generally do 55 mph and I could probably get away with 60 mph but here in Ontario, besides big fines, and demerit point which directly goes to insurance companies and raises your rate I don't plan to speed. So............ can I be in 6th at 55 mph? I plan to get thrills accelerating 0 -60 but I won't speed.
Ecoboost cars have shorter ratios that the GTs. Then on top of that you could have a shorter geared diff as well on the performance pack cars. Lastly due to these being alloy block turbo petrol engines you really dont want to be running them high gears on low RPM with any kind of moderate to high load, this is called lugging and is very very bad for these engines, you will blow a hole through the block.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Test drive a 10R80 vs a MT82 - then report back. You can’t outshift a 10R80 and it will stay in its power as as long as you have the go pedal pressed. You want exhilaration - go test drive a 10R80 equipped S550 like you stole it (using both regular drive mode then do it again using Sport+) - then do the same with an MT82... I think you’ll be surprised.

——

Whatever you do, don’t look at or think of any modern day Mustang being an “investment” or having XYZ resale value down the road.

The Bullitt is a niche Mustang - granted it is built in limited numbers, the “gotta have it” factor has worn off - take a look at any online car broker (cargurus, Dealerships,etc) there’s Bullitts sitting all over the place. People who paid ADM on top of MSRP will never see that value coming back to them - not for at least 30-50 years from now.

Some people buying a Bullitt today don’t even associate the Bullitt with the Movie or Steve McQueen’s legacy. They only know “after the fact” or that it’s just a “cool car”.

You want an investment S550 - plunk down the $150k for a Cobra Jet, mothball it and you’ll get your “investment” back.

Plunk down $300k+ now on the older generation Ford GT and mothball it - those will soon be breaking the $500k barrier within the next 2 years. People who paid $150k+ for those, original buyers, are sitting on top of an investment.

Even GT350’s, the new GT500 - people paying crazy money for them and they are never going to get ‘Classic Mustang money’ out of them... limited editions sure, numbered dash plaques sure, the “name association” sure, - but overpaying for a vehicle upfront (ADM+MSRP) is not wise at all. The folks who will make out in later years will be the ones who did not pay ADM or those who are second tier owners who didn’t take the HUGE depreciation hit on buying the car new.

In no way am I bashing owners who paid ADM+, but when it comes down to actual future numbers - they just aren’t going to cash out.

Take the 2000 Cobra R for example... people were paying in excess of $75k+ for that car - another limited edition Mustang. It was the most powerful Mustang produced AT THAT TIME - and was to be the “all there is to be” about Mustangs.

Those who paid ADM+ and literally insane amounts of money for one can’t even get $75k+ for one of those today, going on nearly 20 years later. Hell, what came out after the 2000R, the 2003-2004 Cobras which was supercharged AND had MORE HP than the limited edition 2000R - and could have been bought for a mere $29k.

——
Point being made:
There’s always going to be a “Limited Edition” Mustang Built by Ford (or Shelby or Roush or Steeda or Saleen...or..........) that WILL outperform the prior generation - and folks will want it and think it’s the last piece of sliced bread - when fact is, the Bakers have more bread in the oven that will best priors...

Make your decision based on what you want, what will suit your needs, what has value to you and what will make you happy. Don’t base it on “resale” value - it means nothing today for modern Muscle cars.

Mustang values have been based on “street” values for years meaning - it’s only worth as much as someone else is willing to pay. Online or TV auctions are inflated values driven by sheer emotional bidders, period. Just because year/make/model XYZ sold at auction for large $$$$ doesn’t mean the same vehicle sitting in someone’s driveway is now worth the same.... LMAO.

Go drive each model you are interested in and base your final decision on your driving experience. Each model you’re interested in is a great choice but each has it’s one unique performance and handling characteristics as well as pros/cons.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
If you are concerned about the fun factor, then the Bullitt all the way. That being said, just as much fun to be had with a GT with the PP1 or PP2 options for less money than the Bullitt.

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can almost guarantee that the HPO Ecoboost Mustang will be an absolute riot to drive. The only thing is what price they will sell for after dealerships start getting them. If you can bag one to a similar price to a normal Ecoboost i would seriously consider it.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
For 25k difference I assume the Ecoboost is not a loaded up version? If that's the case test drive a base GT which is what I have. I have the 301A addon group which adds some very nice features (Drive Modes, Better Stereo & Ambient Lighting). I also have the Safe & Secure package with lane drift detention, accident avoidance, rain sensing wipers and auto high beam controls. Oh and the black accent package too. Most people are shocked when I tell them its only a base model. Ford did a great job making an affordable and great looking car both inside & out IMHO. This car is dead sexy!

Oh and unless you are hardcore on the manual shifter the A10 is a beast! At least worth a spin before slamming your money down.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Why a BULLITT and not a GT, GT vs EB makes more sense to me. So ask yourself, why do you want a BULLITT (excluding the potential resale value). Buying a BULLITT because it may have a better resale value is not a valid reason to me. Also not sure on your diff. of $25,000, unless you are comparing a base EB to a BULLITT. I think you need to think what you want in a car. Personally, unless you really, really want a BULLITT, compare a GT and EB instead..

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
80+ km/h or 55 mph in 6th gear is marginal with 3.55 rear end. 3.31 or 3.15, definitely no. The good news is, there is very little difference in mpg if you drop it into 5th.

I spend a lot of time on 80 km/h roads in New Brunswick with my 6MT EB, so I understand what you're saying.
Sponsored