Sponsored

What wax do you use?

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I actually don’t think I used the Meguias stuff correctly. I had washed the car the day before, and waxed it the day after without wetting it first. So I put it on dry and buffed it off. Considering how good it looks like that, I expect it will look even better when I use it correctly!
You ALWAYS wax a car right after washing it. Regardless of wet wax or dry wax never wait for the car to get dirty or dusty.

If you do you just end up using fine grinding powder on your paint. Always wax just after washing the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
You ALWAYS wax a car right after washing it. Regardless of wet wax or dry wax never wait for the car to get dirty or dusty.

If you do you just end up using fine grinding powder on your paint. Always wax a freshly washed car.
What I meant was I was supposed to apply the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic was while the car was wet after washing it. I didn’t - I waited until the next day and the car was completely dry. I hadn’t driven it and it was garage kept so it wasn’t dirty.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
What I meant was I was supposed to apply the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic was while the car was wet after washing it. I didn’t - I waited until the next day and the car was completely dry.
I understand you completely. It just made me cringe when you said you waited to wax your car. Wet wax or dry wax always wax after washing.

Even a car parked in a garage will get dust and dirt on it. A cover could even have dirt from the last time you put it on.

Dirt + any type of buffing or rubbing = swirl marks and scratches

I have made some mistakes.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Regular Turtle Wax, twice a year.

Wash with RainX green soap.

RainX window cleaner.

Black Magic Tire Wet for the tires.

Vacuum cleaner.

It's all cheap, and makes my car look great.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I understand you completely. It just made me cringe when you said you waited to wax your car. Wet wax or dry wax always wax after washing.

Even a car parked in a garage will get dust and dirt on it. A cover could even have dirt from the last time you put it on.

Dirt + any type of buffing or rubbing = swirl marks and scratches

I have made some mistakes.
I have no doubt that you are right, but I rarely have a full day to dedicate to washing and waxing the car. So I’m comfortable with the small amount of dust that might accumulate overnight in my garage. It’s my daily driver so it’s got far worse dings and scrapes.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Powerlock + Collinite 845 + obligatory pic....

32765785088_da3cf6d542_c.jpg

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I have been using Turtle Wax Liquid Ice. Lasts better on my wife's car than other waxes in the past-at least 3 months. Price is reasonable for the results.

The Mustang gets waxed much more often that that!

CVCashmere

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Sealants here also. Either Jescar or Polish Angel. Playing a bit with an entry level coating, DPC shield from Scott at DPC (&LMF :) Haven't messed with coatings on paint, just moldings and wheels...until now.

Last edited:

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Meguiar's Gold Class Carnuba, with Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish over top of it.

I like the fast finish so much it's replaced Colonite on our daily drivers.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Wax is kind of obsolete these days unless you enjoy applying it on a monthly basis. Go for a DIY ceramic coating, they are pretty user friendly now. At worst, a synthetic sealant. Not carnauba wax.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Sealants here also. Either Jescar or Polish Angel. Playing a bit with an entry level coating, DPC shield from Scott at DPC (&LMF :) Haven't messed with coatings on paint, just moldings and wheels...until now.
Interested in how the DPC Shield works out. I've watched a lot of his videos over the past 2 years or so and it's definitely a good price.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Interested in how the DPC Shield works out. I've watched a lot of his videos over the past 2 years or so and it's definitely a good price.
It went on really easy. I did the "put one coat on, wait 24hrs and put on another" which he said could be 18 months'sh protection. We shall see. The coating is on the PP1 wing I just installed as the rest of the car has a fairly fresh coat of Polish angel.

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Wax is kind of obsolete these days unless you enjoy applying it on a monthly basis. Go for a DIY ceramic coating, they are pretty user friendly now. At worst, a synthetic sealant. Not carnauba wax.
Obsolete? Hogwash! I wax my car only twice a year with plain old Turtle Wax. Looks fantastic, and has a better shine than sealant or that ceramic stuff. The key is to use good soap that doesn't strip the wax off when you wash, and use soft cleaning tools that don't scratch the heck out of your paint.

Wax will never be completely obsolete.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Maybe if your using some type of spray-on wax. Sealant + quality wax should be good for 6-9 months, depending on your environment. I did my car back in January and the finish is still glass smooth and beads water like crazy. It's a DD, too. I'd like to try a ceramic someday but I have enough PL and 845 left to last a few years.