Sponsored

2019 Ford Mustang GT PP2 Versus Camaro SS 1LE (Car and Driver)

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
There's a reason the meme about Mustang drivers crashing exists.
Because blaqhole has nothing to do all day :)

If anything a Mustang per C6G shouldn’t be able to lose traction because it makes 0 torque throughout the entire rpm range. Stuff doesn’t add up.
Sponsored

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Such hate against the Camaro..sad ..I have both a 19 GT And 19 ss
Curious why you would own both? His and her's?

Thanks for the in depth review...it is similar to what I found when test driving both.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra

Thanks for the in depth review...it is similar to what I found when test driving both.
..things just work out on the one I was looking for ..always been a fan of both ..I also have a 72 Chevelle and 67 Pontiac. Nice to add this to the collection. have a feeling the 19 is gonna be hard to get . Since they decided to change the front end already.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be interested in what the current total cars sold in both these models is...
If your looking at gen 6 Mustang 385989
camaro 191608 and if you ad in the last year of gen5 269110

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Because blaqhole has nothing to do all day :)

If anything a Mustang per C6G shouldn’t be able to lose traction because it makes 0 torque throughout the entire rpm range. Stuff doesn’t add up.
Good point.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I don't know why you say that. As long as its dry and not freezing, they're fine. Yes they tramline a bit, and ride a bit harsher, but that's about it.
You are exactly right. The overall ride is not that much different to a 1LE, plus you have to deal with the visibility issues in the Camaro. I would say all things considered, they are about equal on the street.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
My best friend just bought a ZL1, I like the car but I expected more "feel" from the monster engine, so did he. You punch it in track mode and it goes, without any fan fare, I punch it in drag mode in the Mustang and it is a fish tailing monster that slams into 2nd gear so hard the back hops and then it fish tails into 3rd. For not having a super charger or the torque of the LT4 we both expected much more drama from the ZL1. He loves the way my GT drives and he likes the interior much better plus the room for big feet is better in the Mustang but he is a GM guy through and through.

I know the difference at the drag strip should be big but looking at the numbers for the average stock ZL1 and my GT if I got off the line better than him he has to run me down and it would be closer than it should be, I've run 11.7's before). Of course he has to buy tires and once he gets that figured out it's not a contest but when we go in the next few weeks stock tire to stock tire, it's going to be close and I get to rub his nose it in a bit. :)

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
My best friend just bought a ZL1, I like the car but I expected more "feel" from the monster engine, so did he. You punch it in track mode and it goes, without any fan fare, I punch it in drag mode in the Mustang and it is a fish tailing monster that slams into 2nd gear so hard the back hops and then it fish tails into 3rd. For not having a super charger or the torque of the LT4 we both expected much more drama from the ZL1. He loves the way my GT drives and he likes the interior much better plus the room for big feet is better in the Mustang but he is a GM guy through and through.

I know the difference at the drag strip should be big but looking at the numbers for the average stock ZL1 and my GT if I got off the line better than him he has to run me down and it would be closer than it should be, I've run 11.7's before). Of course he has to buy tires and once he gets that figured out it's not a contest but when we go in the next few weeks stock tire to stock tire, it's going to be close and I get to rub his nose it in a bit. :)

This is what I hate most about Tesla's, and even the GT-R's. I feel no joy out of them They feel, cold and sterile, when they should be brutish and shouty.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I hate most about Tesla's, and even the GT-R's. I feel no joy out of them They feel, cold and sterile, when they should be brutish and shouty.
Perhaps if the Mustang's drag mode didn't shift so hard it might have felt different but even in sport mode the difference between the cars is stark, Car and Driver calls the ZL1 brutal but at no point in my driving the car did it feel that way.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The PPL2’s stiff suspenders also made it more susceptible to freeway hop than the Camaro. But, hey, this is a performance-focused car, right?
No, it means that GM chassis/suspension engineers are better at their job or had a bigger budget in which to finish the work required instead of tossing it off as "eh, good enough".

We might dial down the programmed-in popping and cracking on overrun, at least in the less sporty modes.
Agreed in spades. It's fracking annoying.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just a 'his' and I have a few. I'll second the previous poster's sentiments. The Camaro chassis and driveline is let down by an interior design team that would fail to design the inside of a breakfast cereal box correctly. The Mustang interior is just vastly better. 3+hr trips in the Camaro's Ricaros were fine. What was trouble was the hump in the floor pan under where everybody would place their foot during cruise. It's like nobody in Detroit actually sat in the damn thing to see if their "looks good on paper" was actually correct. The stock 1LE tires tram pretty damn fierce in my book. So I don't think the PP2 bashing was warranted on that count.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
No, it means that GM chassis/suspension engineers are better at their job or had a bigger budget in which to finish the work required instead of tossing it off as "eh, good enough".

Agreed in spades. It's fracking annoying.
Not sure what they are talking about. My PP2 does not jitter anymore than a 1LE on the highway. Maybe it was windier when they drove the Mustang. To me, both cars are equal overall. it all comes down to personal preference. Sadly it seems you won't have a choice for a Camaro. All of us should at least know that will not help the Mustang in the long run.

jcl78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium / PP1 / MT-82
Vehicle Showcase
I posted in the other thread that I crossed shopped, and I found that the 1LE is a sure footed monster, and I am in the minority that I liked the 2019 redesign actually. The 1LE would spank my PP1 around any track or strip, but man I love the Mustang, as stated many times, the interior is excellent, and I much prefer the looks inside and out, it really is a total package. I hope Chevy does continue the Camaro and address the interior, visibility and livability, we will see what happens. I am just glad both cars are still around for now, and we have choices.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
I'm just a 'his' and I have a few. I'll second the previous poster's sentiments. The Camaro chassis and driveline is let down by an interior design team that would fail to design the inside of a breakfast cereal box correctly. The Mustang interior is just vastly better. 3+hr trips in the Camaro's Ricaros were fine. What was trouble was the hump in the floor pan under where everybody would place their foot during cruise. It's like nobody in Detroit actually sat in the damn thing to see if their "looks good on paper" was actually correct. The stock 1LE tires tram pretty damn fierce in my book. So I don't think the PP2 bashing was warranted on that count.
Nailed it exactly!! that hump on the floorboard makes me want to put my leg up causing my knee to hurt on the door panel on the Camaro is definitely why I got to get that knee bolster kit. I can drive 6 to 8 hours in the Mustang a lot more comfortable than a two-hour drive in the Camaro.
Sponsored