Sponsored

Loose ebrake after replacing rear pads

highsteaks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP in Magnetic
I just did a complete swap of the rotors and pads on my 2015. Everything went fine, except the parking break is now extremely loose. It will engage at the very top of the pull. Did I forget something, or do I just need to tighten the cable? If it’s the cable, how do I adjust it :shrug:? Thanks in advance for any help on this!
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Maybe just need to be bedded in?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
IIRC its self-adjusting. Just pull it a few times and it should tighten up.

gtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
You need to tighten the parking brake cable adjustment nut which is located on the driver side tunnel just in front of the rear tire.
Capture.PNG

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Make sure you didn't unbolt and forget to re-install where the parking brake cable mounts on the knuckle. That'll cause parking brake issues, too. But you need to pump the breaks before you pull the parking brake otherwise it won't work.

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
You need to tighten the parking brake cable adjustment nut which is located on the driver side tunnel just in front of the rear tire.
This.....very common.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This is actually in the middle of the car in the tunnel, near the shifter.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Tighten the nut until you have 2mm clearance (feeler gauge)

Apply parking brakes and release several times. Then tighten until you have 1mm clearance (feeler gauge).
parking brake1.JPG

OP
OP

highsteaks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP in Magnetic
Thanks for all the replies. It did seem to self adjust after numerous pulls today and proper bedding. I guess I could have waited a day before posting. Thanks again!

JaxS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 GT PP
I had the same thing when I did my brakes. I just went back under the car and adjusted the nut on the e-brake line and its as good as new.

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I'll also chime in. My ebrake was loose too after changing pads, but it tightened back up after some use.

terry_b

Technically a Chevy guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium, 2014 Camaro SS/1LE
This is an old thread but I'm hoping for some info.... Those of you with loose parking brakes that tightened up, did they tighten up because of normal brake use?

My 2015 ecoboost has a problem with the parking brake not holding the car. Even after adjusting the cable, the parking brake will allow the car to roll if parked on a slope.

After taking the rear rotors off, they seem more corroded than usual, especially near the outer radius of the inside surface. Could this cause poor grip on the rotor/pad?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This is an old thread but I'm hoping for some info.... Those of you with loose parking brakes that tightened up, did they tighten up because of normal brake use?

My 2015 ecoboost has a problem with the parking brake not holding the car. Even after adjusting the cable, the parking brake will allow the car to roll if parked on a slope.

After taking the rear rotors off, they seem more corroded than usual, especially near the outer radius of the inside surface. Could this cause poor grip on the rotor/pad?
How much pad material do you have left? Did you do the entire adjustment procedure?

terry_b

Technically a Chevy guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium, 2014 Camaro SS/1LE
About 6mm of pad left. I adjusted the nut under the car (what an awful place to put an adjuster!) cycled the brake and measured the gap at the caliper. Everything checked out, but the brake just didn't have any bite.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The parking brake needs to be pulled 5 or 6 times after rotating the piston back, its self adjusting. Thats normal.

I’ve swapped pads a bunch of times and have never had to fiddle with any bolts for adjustments.

If your brakes are soft after a pad swap, maybe the pads haven’t worn to conform to groves in the rotors yet?
Sponsored