Sponsored

Seniors: Louder Exhaust?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In a parking structure this morning, I remembered for the first time to open my windows, mute the music and rev the engine. Stock 2018 5.0 engine, stock exhaust, old ears that pretty much ignore anything above 4k herz*. Sound was perfect. I can't see how any modification could improve on it.

EDIT: Make that 3,500 Hz, according to today's 20-20,00 sweep.-
I can hear to about 12-13k. I guess that means I have plenty of hearing to get louder exhaust.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Don't be too willing to sacrifice anything out of your hearing now . . . once gone, it doesn't come back, and you've already lost some. It'll suck when what you're still taking for granted even now turns into bewilderment over where it went. Hearing aids do help, but are kind of like canes, crutches, or walkers for your ears.

Norm

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
2019 GT active exhaust. I'm sure plenty will disagree that it needs nothing else changed. For me, the car is plenty loud on 'track mode' when the mufflers effectively become straight pipes. Sound check: Rev her up going through an underpass or tunnel... loud and powerful tone. Any more would be excessive.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Vehicle(s)
16 PP GT Convertible, 2003 Cobra, 13 Focus ST, 05 Thunderbird, 72 SS 454, 68 Camaro convertible, 66 Spitfire
I couldn't help but post this after seeing yours. It has a great sound when the header gaskets aren't blown out (which isn't very often). My 2016 has the Roush axel backs and the sound is nice but a little louder than I care for.
IMG_7305.JPG

Seanay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A PP2
I got the Ford Performance by Borla Catback setup with the GT350 valance quad tip conversion rear - almost 2k so a bit pricey but comes with 2 mufflers, mid pipes and xpipe for that resonator to come out. Sounds perfect for me with a lot of backfires and grumbles on downshifts. When in track mode it comes alive! When in normal mode or sport, its just a tad louder then stock and there is zero droning.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Bj I would like to know more about that house and 4 car garage I see.. Tell me more.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mazda Miata
I know I am in the minority here. Every car I have owned since the first year of getting driver's licence has been Ford Mustang's except for 2 Mazda MX5 ( Miata's ) Now 58 ....

I do not want hear hear exhaust at all as it interferes with sound quality of stereo system. Will always select quiet mode on active exhaust once I have 2020 Mustang.

Dan

Deleted member 35786

You’ll enjoy the Steeda H-pipe
Just drove it home after installing. Perfect combination according to my ears. Just as quiet as stock on hwy and I nice mild roar when you stomp it.
Cruising around town and its really no different. Only when you accelerate from a stop you can hear it, sounds very old school. Love it.
Videos with folks just revving the car does not compare to actually driving it.
I am satisfied.

Thanks to everyone who helped with tips, suggestions, video clips etc.. I appreciate it.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Definitely do not want louder exhaust. I like the H pipe idea. Mine is stock and I think it sounds too raspy when you floor it even in quiet mode

The_Mad_Patcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I changed the stock exhaust for the Ford Performance by Borla Touring cat back. The stock exhaust was too tinny sounding to me. The new exhaust is quieter, but sounds much better. The tone is deeper while the volume is lower when driving in regular traffic, but it does roar when stepped on. Another improvement is that there is much less popping when decelerating which I never liked.

Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Roush axle back for me. A beautiful rumble at low RPM's; yet, screams "MUSCLE CAR" at WOT. Also, the "snap, crackle, and pop" it delivers at every stop light is music to my ears. In fact, I usually keep my sound system off. I would rather listen to the exhaust system. Heavenly, or should I say hellish.
I'm 74 going on 20. I'm with you. Roush axle-backs for me. And BTW...what radio??? It's a Mustang. The Coyote is the music for me. :rockon:
IMG_0485.JPG

Deleted member 35786

Definitely do not want louder exhaust. I like the H pipe idea. Mine is stock and I think it sounds too raspy when you floor it even in quiet mode
The exhaust on your 19 is a totally different animal than what is on my 17. So an H pipe was perfect for me. I do believe you have active exhaust yes?

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the Roush axle backs on mine plus the x pipe resonator Eliminator and it's loud but I love it. In the morning with cold start I'm not sure the neighbors do though. LOL
Sponsored