Sponsored

Oils and Additives

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Do go on ...
This of course is a hot topic and I hope it doesn’t turn into an angry debate. I’ll just give a couple of examples.

1. His test does not allow zddp to function as it is designed and his explanation of how zddp works is incorrect. Zddp needs time to build up a protective layer. Decades of testing has been done that proves the zddp layer can be measured in thickness, strength, and how quickly it builds. In my opinion, this is the main flaw.

2. He only tests boundary layer lubrication, not hydrodynamic or elastohydrodynamic . In any (if not most) parts of the engine, breakdown of hydrodynamic lubrication would constitute failure of the lubricant.

3. His testing doesn’t take into account a myriad of other factors such as oxidation, shear thinning, effects of vm’s, cleanliness, etc.
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
There are those who think their engines need these additives and there are plenty of suppliers who are happy to sell them at a nice profit. Then there are the many millions who use just oil and their engines run for 100,000+ miles with no problem.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
There are those who think their engines need these additives and there are plenty of suppliers who are happy to sell them at a nice profit. Then there are the many millions who use just oil and their engines run for 100,000+ miles with no problem.
While I know this to be true, I also believe the factory oil recommendation targets the average user and government regulations. I believe an informed enthusiast can further optimize the oil and adjust it to his own intended usage. I personally weight off-design engine protection higher than fuel economy, for instance, so I use acea a3/b4 spec oils.

However, I do not believe that oil additives are the answer. The oil additive package in any given oil is a carefully engineered balance designed to work just a certain way. Some chemicals work in conjunction with others while some compete for surface area. Adding more of any component can throw off the balance and the oil may no longer work as designed.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
This of course is a hot topic and I hope it doesn’t turn into an angry debate. I’ll just give a couple of examples.

1. His test does not allow zddp to function as it is designed and his explanation of how zddp works is incorrect. Zddp needs time to build up a protective layer. Decades of testing has been done that proves the zddp layer can be measured in thickness, strength, and how quickly it builds. In my opinion, this is the main flaw.

2. He only tests boundary layer lubrication, not hydrodynamic or elastohydrodynamic . In any (if not most) parts of the engine, breakdown of hydrodynamic lubrication would constitute failure of the lubricant.

3. His testing doesn’t take into account a myriad of other factors such as oxidation, shear thinning, effects of vm’s, cleanliness, etc.
Thanks for the info.

I came to my senses--after seeing "Ol' Shel" plug an older additive--and will stick with the (free) Motorcraft 5W-20 semi-syn. Every few years, for some reason I'm tempted to dump something in the sump to address an imagined shortcoming of the recommended (there are a lot of compromises due to mileage requirements, to be sure).

OTOH, I just replaced the stock transmission fluid with BG II, based a lot on comments on this forum. I do think the box shifts a little smoother--though I largely like syn for longevity reasons--but there is likely some confirmation bias at play.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

OTOH, I just replaced the stock transmission fluid with BG II, based a lot on comments on this forum. I do think the box shifts a little smoother--though I largely like syn for longevity reasons--but there is likely some confirmation bias at play.
i bought bg ii, but it is not recommended by ford fluid type

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
BG has been around for many years, I use it in my diff 75w 140w for the 3.55:1 gear I have.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
i bought bg ii, but it is not recommended by ford fluid type
How old are the bottles of Syncro Shift you purchased ?
It’s the newer more recently bottled Syncro Shift that carries the Ford spec.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
C'mon: Ol' Shel told us there is only ONE additive we need to concern ourselves with. After all, he put it in ALL of his cars, and if it didn't work, he wouldn't say it did.

I hope this is sarcasm, Ol' Shel would put his name on almost anything if you paid him a $1 to do it, pay him $2 and he would've kissed your momma while he was signing his name!

I respect what Shelby accomplished in automotive history, but when it came to business he was kind of a whore, he'd prostitute himself and/or his name for anyone willing to pay.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
How old are the bottles of Syncro Shift you purchased ?
It’s the newer more recently bottled Syncro Shift that carries the Ford spec.
i'll have to check bottles, but my concern was use manial of my mustang '17 that recommended different type of fluid for transmission. I doubt new SS is different fluid type.

OneFordGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT
Has anyone used Tribotex? Its not an oil but an additive with nano particles that are supposed to stick to sides to reduce friction. Curious if anyone had put some in after x amount of miles and felt a difference down the road?
Yes and it worked for me and others. I’ve also added it to my focus and can actually tell a difference unlike 98% of other things I have tried over the years. Do a forum search, TheLion has posted a lot about the science behind it.
Sponsored