Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I just clipped the green wire to my center speaker on my second s550 Mustang. What a relief that is - the sound is ruined by this cheap speaker.

As an ex professional loudspeaker design engineer, I have some ideas on how to improve the sound from the center channel.
  1. Turn it off altogether. Either snip the green wire on the amp's center plug (fairly quick and easy), or pull the grill and unplug the speaker (risk of damaging the grille).
  2. Add a resistive padding network.
  3. Add a series inductor to gradually fade out the higher frequencies.
  4. Replace the speaker with a better one. I suggest an 8ohm speaker so that it is naturally quieter, and certainly one that does not have a 1950's "whizzer cone".
If there is group interest, I will take it upon myself to develop either solution #2 or #3 above, neither of which requires accessing the speaker inside the dash. But because I don't want to risk damage to a $95 metal grille on my 2019 B&O car, I am asking for anyone who has replaced their OEM center speaker to ship it to me for testing. With that speaker, I will measure its impedance (for the inductor solution), and DCR (for the resistor solution).

What do you guys think? Will you help me help you?
Sponsored

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Does the B&O not come with a better speaker than the 9 speaker systems? I would think it has to be better than the train wreck that is in the other systems.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm still hoping Ford provides some kind of update to SYNC or whatever that lets us enable/disable the center speaker through the normal audio controls for balance.

Where is the green wire mentioned above, how hard is it to get to?

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It really has a wizzer cone? Geezus Ford.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Polk db351 did it for me.
Get a higher then factory ohm speaker, it will be "less loud" and sound 100% better.

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Being able to delectably disable the speaker was the best solution for me. Tried many times to switch it back on and check the effect it has. It gets switched off immediately every time. I think it’s a terrible idea to begin with having a center speaker, alters the sound in an artificial sounding way. Nice too that disabling it is a no cost modification.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Does the B&O not come with a better speaker than the 9 speaker systems? I would think it has to be better than the train wreck that is in the other systems.
I could be wrong, but from what I investigated before getting my 2019 401a, the only difference is the B&O badge on the dash grille! Still cheap rear deck speakers and horrible sounding center speaker. The subowofer level is set so loud that I had to turn it all the way down or perhaps one click from lowest.

The only reason I have the system is because it came with the highly optioned car that I searched for. At least I have power and signal in the trunk if I want to mod the rear bass.

ean611

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eitan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I could be wrong, but from what I investigated before getting my 2019 401a, the only difference is the B&O badge on the dash grille! Still cheap rear deck speakers and horrible sounding center speaker. The subowofer level is set so loud that I had to turn it all the way down or perhaps one click from lowest.

The only reason I have the system is because it came with the highly optioned car that I searched for. At least I have power and signal in the trunk if I want to mod the rear bass.
Hybrid Audio Legatia L3v2 solves everything :)
https://hybrid-audio.com/speakers/legatia/

Well, it's not a simple, just add that, but if you're going to use a 3 inch driver, you can't do much better.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I'm still hoping Ford provides some kind of update to SYNC or whatever that lets us enable/disable the center speaker through the normal audio controls for balance.

Where is the green wire mentioned above, how hard is it to get to?
Amp at driver footwell. Center connector. Green wire (NO stripe) is the center speaker +. Sound is SO much better.

Set the balance control to one click left of center of passenger seat.
Fade all or most to the front. Midrange control one click below normal. Treble one click above normal. Bass one click above lowest (401a).

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Amp at driver footwell. Center connector. Green wire (NO stripe) is the center speaker +. Sound is SO much better.

Set the balance control to one click left of center of passenger seat.
Fade all or most to the front. Midrange control one click below normal. Treble one click above normal. Bass one click above lowest (401a).
Is the amp in this location for 301A models with 9 speaker configuration as well? Or is it behind the dash like the 6 speaker base model?
I really need to get my hands on a service manual...

Sponsored
OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Is the amp in this location for 301A models with 9 speaker configuration as well? Or is it behind the dash like the 6 speaker base model?
I really need to get my hands on a service manual...
You might find the 301a wiring diagram somewhere on the forum.

In the worst case you can pull the grille and disconnect the speaker.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
You might find the 301a wiring diagram somewhere on the forum.

In the worst case you can pull the grille and disconnect the speaker.
I'll probably do this for now. I'm not planning any major audio upgrades until next spring so I do not want to start tearing into the car.
Planning a very simple system.... a pair of 8" infinite baffle subwoofers on the rear deck and a 4 channel amp with passive 3 ways in the doors. Forscan the head unit and go direct to the amp. No DSP.

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
I'd say your 9 speaker amp is in the same place mine is, right above the driver's side kick panel.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I'll probably do this for now. I'm not planning any major audio upgrades until next spring so I do not want to start tearing into the car.
Planning a very simple system.... a pair of 8" infinite baffle subwoofers on the rear deck and a 4 channel amp with passive 3 ways in the doors. Forscan the head unit and go direct to the amp. No DSP.
Yes, go for the subs at the rear deck first. Amp should have level and crossover controls.

Disconnect your center and you will be surprised how good the sound is.

I am a lifelong audiophile with high standards for my home systems. Not so much in cars where the cabin and road acoustics are bad. I am more bothered by bad sound than I am impressed by good sound in cars.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yes, go for the subs at the rear deck first. Amp should have level and crossover controls.

Disconnect your center and you will be surprised how good the sound is.

I am a lifelong audiophile with high standards for my home systems. Not so much in cars where the cabin and road acoustics are bad. I am more bothered by bad sound than I am impressed by good sound in cars.
Likewise, and I would call myself an audiophile within reason. I have always had very good home audio systems and I competed in IASCA with one car system in my younger years. Never won any trophies but I scored well. The guys with the biggest bank accounts or credit card limits always won.

If I can improve a system without going crazy by throwing a tonne of cash at it then I'm all for it. These Mustangs are easily improved upon because the factory system is just so bad.
Sponsored