Sponsored

Solo / AWE / MBRP Juggling

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I live in the Northeast and daily my car so stainless is a must IMO
The word Stainless is used loosely in the exhaust industry.
I’ll assume you’re after series 304 vs 409 ?
Just be sure you know what material the manufacturer is selling you. There’s not many 304 SS systems priced under 1,000.00 bucks.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
The word Stainless is used loosely in the exhaust industry.
I’ll assume you’re after series 304 vs 409 ?
Just be sure you know what material the manufacturer is selling you. There’s not many 304 SS systems priced under 1,000.00 bucks.
I would prefer 304, correct.

latoracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP, 6-Speed, Recaro's, 600A
I am enjoying my AWE Touring exhaust and I continue to get a lot of compliments on the tone.

Several items I looked at when deciding on AWE; 304 stainless steel, TIG welded instead of MIG, fit (this was based on reviews and was confirmed upon install) and H pipe instead of X pipe. Sound on video clips help a little, but there is no replacement for hearing an exhaust in person, if it is possible. 304 SS exhaust systems will always cost more (better materials than 409) and should have the aesthetics to support the higher price point.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Another question - for those with Solo, AWE, Krona / Thermal R&D. How are the decel tones? I love the stock smooth decel when coasting to a stop. Do these retain that?

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I had these on my 11-14 GT setup. Shipped they where $269 back 5 years ago. These are the best deal in full 304SS bullet style axle back. Best offer would buy these $350 shipped I bet. The mark up in exhaust in crazy.
5606C7C9-7E47-4C30-BB06-EE9D47C8023E.png

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Another question - for those with Solo, AWE, Krona / Thermal R&D. How are the decel tones? I love the stock smooth decel when coasting to a stop. Do these retain that?
I've had the MBRP Street, Corsa Sport, and AWE Touring (in that order, all paired to TSP headers).

MBRP and Corsa were both ok. MBRP sounds nice and deep, very muscle car like below 3k. After that, it sounds like a cheaper exaust; kind of tin canny. Corsa sounded more exotic throughout the entire power band, but didn't sound particularly aggressive outside the cabin (inside it was cool, but once I heard someone drive it, I didn't like it). So I ended up with the AWE. It's kind of like the best of both worlds from the MBRP and Corsa. Not quite as deep as the MBRP but still deep enough in the low rpms (sounds really mean from outside AND inside the car while under partial throttle), and has a more unique sound in the higher rpms. Not quite as good as Corsa did but the lower rpm quality was much better and that's what I'm driving under most of the time.

For what it's worth, the AWE touring has been the loudest of the three and I've received the most compliments on it even though I've had it the shortest amount of time.

coreystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Same. I listened to dozens of exhausts when it came time to buy for my '16 GT, and through the various cars I've owned, had multiples of just about every major brand, and the Solo system just kicks ass.

- Sounds amazing - different from pretty much every other S550 option
- Very high quality fabrication
- Modular Tips
- Tips are on ball type joints so can be perfectly aligned
- Low-to-no drone, and the drone effect can be tuned out using the adjustable J-pipes
- All three models are the same except for the modular center section, so you can go super loud (cross over), moderate (11" resonator / cross over), quietest (18" resonator / cross over), so if you start at say a Thunder, do catless headers, want to dial it back, just swap out the center section

I'll put it this way, my '16 is for sale (see sig ...) and I'm either going to get a stock system and move the Solo to the new 18/19 GT, or just buy another one. Side note: it's also compatible across Coupe and Convertibles __and__ across S550 V1 and V2 (just a change of the tips).
Which Solo version did you go with?

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had Borla's Stinger cat backs and it was too raspy. Switched over to AWE Switchpath cat backs and now going with their quad tips. Their construction and setup is really nice and fitment is near perfect. Sound is kinda on the loud side for idling, gets nice a deep tone mid to high rpms, and decel gets a some burbles and pops before it smooths out. When I run e85, it is noticeably more quiet and way less burble and pops. Makes a daily drive easier and smooth with just the right amount of loudness. What I was looking for was an exhaust that was not obnoxious loud for a daily, deep H-pipe tones, fitment, and some pops. The switchpath feature was an additional bonus for me. Whichever you go with, you will know if you like it or not, I thought Borla will do it for me, but found out it didn't lol.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
it's a toss up between that and the Mach XV
How is your tolerance for a loud exhaust? Like if it's "anything other than race car loud", then the Thunder is awesome. If you're a little hesitant, like a "louder than stock ... but not too loud", you might be more a candidate for the XV.

I'm not currently running headers (intake/tune), but if it tipped the loud a decent amount more, I'd say mine might be too loud for me.

coreystang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
How is your tolerance for a loud exhaust? Like if it's "anything other than race car loud", then the Thunder is awesome. If you're a little hesitant, like a "louder than stock ... but not too loud", you might be more a candidate for the XV.

I'm not currently running headers (intake/tune), but if it tipped the loud a decent amount more, I'd say mine might be too loud for me.
I don't mind loud as long as it doesn't piss of the neighbors and no drone! But want it louder than stock. Do you have any clips?

Blair8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blair
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT/CS
I have the Solo Mach XV on my car and came from the Flowmaster Outlaw Catback. The Outlaw was legitimately too damn loud and droned like a MF'er. The Solo XV has been great since I live in an enclosed garage apartment complex in the middle of Charlotte. At first it sounded kind of muddled coming from the Outlaw but now that I've got a couple thousand miles on it it's definitely opened up and is much clearer. Up and down through the RPMs is pretty smooth but it will pop once if you let off at a higher RPM and then has the smooth decel. Also, absolutely no drone which was a huge plus and requirement for me too. I like a deeper tone myself so that's what I tried to gear my choice to and I'm happy with the purchase I made. Oh and the 4" black tips look awesome.

The only difference between the XV and Thunder is the size of the muffler in the middle (18" vs. 11" I believe) so if you really wanted to go louder or quieter you could just switch that out. If you have any plans of LTH's I would probably recommend the XV but again that's up to personal preference.

Good luck in your quest!

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'm still fighting trying to accept the fact the Solo systems use an X design muffler where I've considered myself an H pipe kinda guy since I've started looking at exhausts.

Leading contenders:
Solo Mach XV / Mach Thunder
Krona / Thermal R&D
ARH Pure Thunder
AWE Touring / Track / Is there another?
Sponsored