Sponsored

First impressions, one month later

Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible / Velocity Blue / A10
I’ve had my car for a month now, and with 2,500 miles on the clock, including a couple of short road trips, I just wanted to share my impressions. Since we all know how great the car drives, I figured I’d break it up into the separate option groups I got on my car, hopefully to benefit anyone trying to figure out what options they want on their own car.

401A ($2200): The voice activated nav is a $795 option on its own. Add in the upgraded leather with the heated and cooled seats, the blind spot monitoring, and the digital instrument cluster, and it’s well worth the money spent. Cooled seats make the driving experience remarkably better with the top down in summer heat. Blind spot monitoring is a nice safety feature, adding a little peace of mind. I haven’t used the heated steering wheel yet, but I imagine I’ll appreciate it in the winter. My wife drives this car pretty much any day I don’t have it, so memory seats have been a nice bonus.

B&O sound system ($895): I didn’t test drive a car with the standard system, so I can’t directly compare them. The system sounds great with the top up. It sounds good with the top down, but could definitely use more power and volume at highway speeds. I’m pretty sure I would’ve been disappointed with the standard stereo.

Safe & Smart ($1000): I’ve already gotten spoiled to the adaptive cruise control. I originally thought I’d only use it for long drives, but I’ve gotten to the point now that I use it pretty much any time I’m on the highway. I’ve already decided I won’t own any vehicle without BLIS, lane assist, adaptive cruise control, and forward collision assist in the future. The auto windshield wipers, and auto high beam headlights are nice conveniences, and I’m glad they threw them in the package, but I’d never pay extra for them on their own.

Active valve exhaust ($895) – Going in, I thought this would be a cool gimmick, but I wouldn’t get any real use out of it. I was very wrong. It’s great to have the option to keep it quiet if I’m on a long trip or on the phone, or open it up when I want to turn off the radio and just listen to the glorious sound of 460 horses. If you’re on the fence about this one, spend the money; you won’t regret it, and your neighbors will appreciate it.
Sponsored

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
What he said ^^^^

My '18 that I've had a month is similar to your '19. There is not an option I have that I regret as a waste of money. My wife also takes the car every chance she gets.

One thing not covered above is the sheer joy of the convertible. I live in a northern tier state so my time with the top down will be limited... but man is it gorgeous outside now and cruising town with the top down is outstanding... those poor people with hard top Mustangs don't know what they are missing. I have no issue about that roof handle (vs. fully automated). And the top seems very high quality. My Mustang is much more quiet to drive with the top up than my hard top Jeep Wrangler. No regrets... and the European convertible alternatives cost significantly more and I bet are not as fun.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
One thing not covered above is the sheer joy of the convertible. I live in a northern tier state so my time with the top down will be limited.
I have driven my car as low as 6C/43F, without a wind blocker, and I found it quite comfortable with the heat, seat and steering wheel on. I expect that I would drive it down another degree or two with a wind blocker, which I anticipate getting by this fall. In fact, my first top down drive of 2019 was January 4, which was brilliant sunshine and 7C.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
This morning my wife was taking the Mustang out and said "Its 64F, is it too cold to have the top down?" I said, "Heck no, drive with the top down any and every chance you get."

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This morning my wife was taking the Mustang out and said "Its 64F, is it too cold to have the top down?" I said, "Heck no, drive with the top down any and every chance you get."
Heck yeah, anything over 60, though I tend to cut it off around 85-88 on the other end. It's funny, people think a convertible is great in the summer in the FL, but it's mostly too hot, it's much more fun in the fall, spring, and most of the "winter" here :D

Do you use WU (Weather Underground)? Awesome weather app on iOS, and it has this feature where you can build a "smart forecast", add weather parameters (like ranges of temp, rain %, etc.) and name it ... this is one of mine :)

upload_2019-6-26_6-58-59.png

(Apparently the rest of the week is a typical summer washout ...)

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
We have been “top up” this past week due to popup thunderstorms and now 105 heat index plus the dust cloud from Africa. Thankfully, the A/C works great! I can tell the weather is not ideal, I have not washed the vert in 10 days! :)

OP
OP
Gatsby

Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible / Velocity Blue / A10
Some of you guys are warriors! I'll usually put the top down between about 65 degrees - 100 degrees. We don't have many days much colder than that, since we only really have 2 seasons here: summer and February. It's been 15 years since I had my last Mustang convertible, still not sure why I waited so long to get another one.

I just finished a 900 mile round trip in the car. I've been really impressed with how smooth the ride is for a sports car, and still I'm even more impressed that this thing consistently gets over 28 MPG on the highway!

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
I try and drive with the roof down as much as possible but it seems I’m far more hardy than the other half.

Over here in the UK anything above freezing is fair game for me, just need a wind proof jacket which covers about 80% of the driving through the year anyway.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I try and drive with the roof down as much as possible but it seems I’m far more hardy than the other half.

Over here in the UK anything above freezing is fair game for me, just need a wind proof jacket which covers about 80% of the driving through the year anyway.
My first drive in 2019 was a lovely sunny day on January 4...the car was showing 7C (45F) on the dash. My repro MA-1 flight jacket, scarf and gloves handled it easily with an assist from the seat and wheel heat, and heater. I’m pretty sure with a wind blocker I could drive it down to 0C (32F).

Randhawa_KS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KS
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT OF vert, FG XR6, Lexus RX 350
I’ve had my car for a month now, and with 2,500 miles on the clock, including a couple of short road trips, I just wanted to share my impressions. Since we all know how great the car drives, I figured I’d break it up into the separate option groups I got on my car, hopefully to benefit anyone trying to figure out what options they want on their own car.

401A ($2200): The voice activated nav is a $795 option on its own. Add in the upgraded leather with the heated and cooled seats, the blind spot monitoring, and the digital instrument cluster, and it’s well worth the money spent. Cooled seats make the driving experience remarkably better with the top down in summer heat. Blind spot monitoring is a nice safety feature, adding a little peace of mind. I haven’t used the heated steering wheel yet, but I imagine I’ll appreciate it in the winter. My wife drives this car pretty much any day I don’t have it, so memory seats have been a nice bonus.

B&O sound system ($895): I didn’t test drive a car with the standard system, so I can’t directly compare them. The system sounds great with the top up. It sounds good with the top down, but could definitely use more power and volume at highway speeds. I’m pretty sure I would’ve been disappointed with the standard stereo.

Safe & Smart ($1000): I’ve already gotten spoiled to the adaptive cruise control. I originally thought I’d only use it for long drives, but I’ve gotten to the point now that I use it pretty much any time I’m on the highway. I’ve already decided I won’t own any vehicle without BLIS, lane assist, adaptive cruise control, and forward collision assist in the future. The auto windshield wipers, and auto high beam headlights are nice conveniences, and I’m glad they threw them in the package, but I’d never pay extra for them on their own.

Active valve exhaust ($895) – Going in, I thought this would be a cool gimmick, but I wouldn’t get any real use out of it. I was very wrong. It’s great to have the option to keep it quiet if I’m on a long trip or on the phone, or open it up when I want to turn off the radio and just listen to the glorious sound of 460 horses. If you’re on the fence about this one, spend the money; you won’t regret it, and your neighbors will appreciate it.

You are absolutely correct about all the features you mentioned above and I'm loving it. Adaptive cruise control and forward collision assist is the best.

Randhawa_KS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KS
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT OF vert, FG XR6, Lexus RX 350
What he said ^^^^

My '18 that I've had a month is similar to your '19. There is not an option I have that I regret as a waste of money. My wife also takes the car every chance she gets.

One thing not covered above is the sheer joy of the convertible. I live in a northern tier state so my time with the top down will be limited... but man is it gorgeous outside now and cruising town with the top down is outstanding... those poor people with hard top Mustangs don't know what they are missing. I have no issue about that roof handle (vs. fully automated). And the top seems very high quality. My Mustang is much more quiet to drive with the top up than my hard top Jeep Wrangler. No regrets... and the European convertible alternatives cost significantly more and I bet are not as fun.
Convertible is the best fun. I installed the SmartTop module and just with a click it opens and closes the roof and the best part is you can do it while driving.
Sponsored