Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
Hey Folks

I'm in the process of tuning my car with Lund for e85. I installed the fore level 2 kit. We just got done with the 93 octane tune and today i was given the base e85 tune along with a drain tune. Since I have the drain tune, Do I still need to bring the car down to zero fuel or can I just use the drain tune now. Any advice on how to do this correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored

fastblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 auto 5.0
Hey Folks

I'm in the process of tuning my car with Lund for e85. I installed the fore level 2 kit. We just got done with the 93 octane tune and today i was given the base e85 tune along with a drain tune. Since I have the drain tune, Do I still need to bring the car down to zero fuel or can I just use the drain tune now. Any advice on how to do this correctly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Never heard of a drain tune before , are you doing an E85R file alon or a flex fuel file ? if you tuning specifically for E85 you want the tank to be as low as possible 1/8 and fill it up with e85 , i recommend you let the e85 run through your fuel system .

OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
Never heard of a drain tune before , are you doing an E85R file alon or a flex fuel file ? if you tuning specifically for E85 you want the tank to be as low as possible 1/8 and fill it up with e85 , i recommend you let the e85 run through your fuel system .

The tune is a dedicated e85 tune. As per Lund, im suppose to....

1- disconnect the fuel line (not sure from where?....also pretty sure it dosnt matter lol)
2-place the line into an empty jug/cannister
3-flash the drain tune ( im guessing it runs the pumps)
4- Turn car on ( do not start engine)
5-The remaining fuel should be draining into the the empty jug.
6-once its done, flash e85 tune
7-fill up tank with e85

I was told to test the e85. Let my tuner know if its less then 75%.
lol something i've also never done before.

First time doing all of this so just wanted to see if others had any advice/pointers etc...

fastblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 auto 5.0
The tune is a dedicated e85 tune. As per Lund, im suppose to....

1- disconnect the fuel line (not sure from where?....also pretty sure it dosnt matter lol)
2-place the line into an empty jug/cannister
3-flash the drain tune ( im guessing it runs the pumps)
4- Turn car on ( do not start engine)
5-The remaining fuel should be draining into the the empty jug.
6-once its done, flash e85 tune
7-fill up tank with e85

I was told to test the e85. Let my tuner know if its less then 75%.
lol something i've also never done before.

First time doing all of this so just wanted to see if others had any advice/pointers etc...
Lund is telling you to disconnect a fuel line and empty the 93 content into a bucket ? this is the first time i'm hearing this , what year is your car ? the best way to empty the fuel tank is tapping into the fuel pump located under the rear seat but you don't need to do none of it just wait for the 93 to be as low as possible and fill up with e85 wait for the e85 to run a cycle through your fuel system and log .

Sponsored

OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
See thats what I thought too...Before going dedicated e85 and prior to installing the fore kit and the paxton, I had a flex fuel tune and the process was the same as you mentioned. IS your tune dedicated?

OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
heres a video of the process..just found it on youtube......from AED.

fastblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 auto 5.0
See thats what I thought too...Before going dedicated e85 and prior to installing the fore kit and the paxton, I had a flex fuel tune and the process was the same as you mentioned. IS your tune dedicated?
I'm not running e85 now but MS109 race fuel from PBD .

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Dedicated E85 tune needs to drain ALL regular 91/93 out of the whole system or it will dillute the Ethanol content. Running low fuel and filling up is ok on flex tune, but not dedicated E85r , or forced induction tuning. To test the ethanol content pick up one of these https://www.amazon.com/REV-X-E85T05...r&qid=1554920539&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

rather than loading tunes back and forth which takes forever i just run a temporary jumper wire to the FC3 controller. If your stock fuel system and BAP you will have to use drain tune.

fastblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 auto 5.0
Dedicated E85 tune needs to drain ALL regular 91/93 out of the whole system or it will dillute the Ethanol content. Running low fuel and filling up is ok on flex tune, but not dedicated E85r , or forced induction tuning. To test the ethanol content pick up one of these https://www.amazon.com/REV-X-E85T05...r&qid=1554920539&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

rather than loading tunes back and forth which takes forever i just run a temporary jumper wire to the FC3 controller. If your stock fuel system and BAP you will have to use drain tune.
I ran a flex fuel as well as a dedicated e85 tune for years with lund and never i empty my tank if i was running 93 oct and wanted to switch to a dedicated e85 tune i just waited for the 93 in the tank to be really low then i will fill up with e85 , never had an issue .

Sponsored
OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue

rather than loading tunes back and forth which takes forever i just run a temporary jumper wire to the FC3 controller.

Please explain this
:question:

OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue
lol i meant the "rather than loading tunes back and forth which takes forever i just run a temporary jumper wire to the FC3 controller. " part

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
lol i meant the "rather than loading tunes back and forth which takes forever i just run a temporary jumper wire to the FC3 controller. " part
The Fore FC3 controller has 12v inputs to turn on the fuel pump/pumps. I just temporarily run a jumper wire from the fuel pump signal terminal to the battery. Takes me 2 mins to drain the system. Pop the backseat up, connector aligator jumper, connect other end to bat +. Flashing tunes back and forth will take forever.

OP
OP
Safridi22

Safridi22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shobi
Vehicle(s)
GT V8 Blue

Now what about the reverse order? If i'm going back to 93 from a dedicated e85 tune, would i need to drain first? would it make a difference on the 93 tune?

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Now what about the reverse order? If i'm going back to 93 from a dedicated e85 tune, would i need to drain first? would it make a difference on the 93 tune?
Yes you need to drain it again. The 93 tune is expecting up to 15% ethanol as that is the modern standard(10%) in some regions. So any residual ethanol will raise that even higher. Unless you have/buy 93 with stated no ethanol and have the tank VERY low on E85. Will it cause a prob if ethanol is a little high? no, fuel trims will be off and might not run the greatest, or possible check engine light. But IMO having fuel spot on with boost is very important and worth a couple mins to swap. Or just leave the elixir of the gods in it all the time.
Sponsored