OP
OP
RozzGT

RozzGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The only sound to worry about is the 2K rattle.
Well after freaking out about noises and taking it around today with the exhaust in quiet mode I have that too. :curse:
Going to research that noise some more and decide if I need to take it in or not.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well after freaking out about noises and taking it around today with the exhaust in quiet mode I have that too. :curse:
Going to research that noise some more and decide if I need to take it in or not.
I know it’s a shiny new toy but don’t even waste your time worrying about it. If it makes you nervous having that sounds try to blow it up. You won’t. Ford build a hella engine.

My engine has spent extensive amounts of time above 7,000. If there was something wrong it would have exploded long ago.

This topic has been talked about so much I would imagine most of the guys that see these threads don’t comment because no one cares anymore. It’s a feature not a flaw or something like that.

OP
OP
RozzGT

RozzGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I know it’s a shiny new toy but don’t even waste your time worrying about it. If it makes you nervous having that sounds try to blow it up. You won’t. Ford build a hella engine.

My engine has spent extensive amounts of time above 7,000. If there was something wrong it would have exploded long ago.

This topic has been talked about so much I would imagine most of the guys that see these threads don’t comment because no one cares anymore. It’s a feature not a flaw or something like that.
Yeah I guess that is a good way to look at it but I do plan on going into boost at some point and do not want to take a wounded engine into boost, have it blow, then be on my dime when the issue was present before anything. Hell I was planning on doing the steeda tune next week and having second thoughts on that now.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I understand your pain completely. I want to go blower also but the risk of 20k in mods is real.

I have the same engine and it has performed flawlessly tick and rattle. Neither has ever changed in pitch or level. They are extremely predictable.

Rattle goes away mostly after warmup. That’s the direct injection pump running off the cam. They generally have a resonant frequency that they chatter.

Tick goes away after warmup (mostly) on my car. My 12 (not noticable) also had the tick before it was a thing. I really do think the tick is a motor on the tight side of the tolerance spectrum.

If this problem was serious then this issue would have never died. It is dead though. Just new to you.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
That was the original assessment but if it was a true design flaw then every car would have scoring problems.

I have more faith that ford wouldn’t have let a true design flaw go into production. Their -20 to 225 for a 1000 hours test would have caught piston slap problems off the bat.

The 2017 doesn’t have it at all and the 2018 rattles like crazy. I would guess it’s the pump.
The tick and rattle are not the same. Tick is common, Rattle is much less so. Most people with a 2K rattle find it getting louder over time and result in engine replacements. The VCT/cam gear rattle is different.

Also with the current Focus/fiesta tranny recalls and lawsuit are you sure about that?

Grom13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT mustang
The tick and rattle are not the same. Tick is common, Rattle is much less so. Most people with a 2K rattle find it getting louder over time and result in engine replacements. The VCT/cam gear rattle is different.

Also with the current Focus/fiesta tranny recalls and lawsuit are you sure about that?
The 2k rattle is the direct injection that’s why it’s a 2k rattle, this is the revs where it comes in and resonates , similar to an exhaust that drones . If your pistons were scoring your bores you will know it in a hurry including oil consumption. Everyone needs to stop worrying and just send it.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I do think ford does the right thing.

Every 2018-9 5.0 I have ever listened purposely has the rattle. Some quieter than others. Mine is pretty quiet but I still hear it when cold. Warm it is almost completely gone

Sound is a weird thing that some hear and other don’t. I don’t doubt every replaced engine made some sound but was it the rattle?

If there is a weak spot in my motor I will find it. This is the quietest race car motor I have ever heard.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The 2k rattle is the direct injection that’s why it’s a 2k rattle, this is the revs where it comes in and resonates , similar to an exhaust that drones . If your pistons were scoring your bores you will know it in a hurry including oil consumption. Everyone needs to stop worrying and just send it.
Non-DI machines get 2K rattle.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I do think ford does the right thing.

Every 2018-9 5.0 I have ever listened purposely has the rattle. Some quieter than others. Mine is pretty quiet but I still hear it when cold. Warm it is almost completely gone

Sound is a weird thing that some hear and other don’t. I don’t doubt every replaced engine made some sound but was it the rattle?

If there is a weak spot in my motor I will find it. This is the quietest race car motor I have ever heard.
If it goes away when warm then you are talking about something different.

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If it goes away when warm then you are talking about something different.
That’s that sound thing again. I do believe it is the rattle as I hear it cold from ~1800-2700 every time I creep out of my neighborhood. Warmed up and gone.

In all reality I have no clue. My sample size just isn’t big enough. Engines have to be heard in person to make a good determination.

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have the 2k rattle as well. Doesn’t worry me at all.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have the rattle and had the tick bad before using ceratec, I've hit 7500 rpm like 10 times a day for 10,500 miles straight while tuned and on e85 and it seems to be holding up fine. I think most if not all of the 18 and up have the 2k rpm rattle.
Sponsored