Tailgaters

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - I realize I just posted a thread earlier, but... this morning while driving the Bullitt I was tailgated AGAIN - an all to frequent annoyance that makes me a bit uncomfortable. I think I’ve finally realized the (or an) explanation. Some are just idiots that don't know better, but it dawned on me today that some may be getting close to the rear of my car to read the “BULLITT” wording on the faux gas cap. I don’t notice this happening anywhere near as often when I’m driving my my other cars, so perhaps my thinking is correct. Of course there are the other idiots that want to “challenge” me to race (Camaros particularly), but these are ordinary cars tailgating me for a while and then backing off. Others edge up closer to my car at intersections. Do any of you notice this as well or am I being paranoid? I personally don’t like being tailgated, particularly at speed, so that’s why I am noticing this behavior... Bruce
Sponsored

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
I've noticed the same thing. One of the reasons I removed the rear panel with the Bullitt badge. Now I sport the Accelatec rear panel, no raised lines, no badge, just plain gloss black like Steve would have wanted. Anyway, regardless, I've still had people approach closer than comfort affords, pace me on the freeway, etc. I've even had someone pace me, drop back, come up the other side, then I realized they were taking a video of my car on an iphone.

OP
OP
OldPhart

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
I've noticed the same thing. One of the reasons I removed the rear panel with the Bullitt badge. Now I sport the Accelatec rear panel, no raised lines, no badge, just plain gloss black like Steve would have wanted. Anyway, regardless, I've still had people approach closer than comfort affords, pace me on the freeway, etc. I've even had someone pace me, drop back, come up the other side, then I realized they were taking a video of my car on an iphone.
So, maybe that is what’s happening. I’m a little embarrassed that it took this long for light bulb in my brain to come on - duh! Bruce

P.S. I should have added that at age 77 most of the light bulbs are either dim or burned out!

Last edited:

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Is this on the highway? I'm wondering if some of those "adaptive" cruise controls keep the car closer to my rear bumper than I'd like.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed people follow us much closer in the Mustang than they did our RAM 1500. No idea why but it is ridiculous.

Sponsored

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That’s really cool. How was the install?

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
That’s really cool. How was the install?
Pretty simple. There are a few videos on how to remove it; LMR and CJPP both have them. I've changed mine a couple times now, first to the Ford Performance Parts badgeless (but with the raised horizontal lines), and then finally to the Accelatec. Takes about 20 minutes. Here's the link to the CJ's vid:

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Pretty simple. There are a few videos on how to remove it; LMR and CJPP both have them. I've changed mine a couple times now, first to the Ford Performance Parts badgeless (but with the raised horizontal lines), and then finally to the Accelatec. Takes about 20 minutes. Here's the link to the CJ's vid:

Great, thanks!

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have noticed people follow us much closer in the Mustang than they did our RAM 1500. No idea why but it is ridiculous.
They are hoping some of the 'cool' rubs off on them.

I've noticed it too but not so much tailgaters, but people stopping way too close at red lights. My theory is they are trying to see what's playing on my dash. The Mustang is low and I don't have my windows tinted.... yet.

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you are in the Left/Passing lane holding traffic up, I think most of the time people are just flippun clueless to the momentum they are carrying, the reaction time necessary to respond and how long it takes to stop their vehicle and to boot, they are probably on their phone not paying any attention. They are gleefully and pridefully clueless. I get tailgated and I dont have a Bullitt. Common frickun sense says that you should leave a modest stopping distance between you and the car in front of you to account for sudden stops, reaction time etc...But then again, apparently common sense and courtesy have gone by the way side.

I'm probably a bit tainted as I have been rear ended 5 times. All of them sitting still at a stop sign or red light. I realize that that isn't tailgating but still.......

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ive had at least three people taking video of my car. Ive owned a lot of nice cars over the years and I can't believe how much attention this "plain Jane mustang" attracts. Might explain the tailgating you're experiencing.
Sponsored