Sponsored

Ignition correction question

Ghost3366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
I was doing some research recently since getting my accessport and have a question. When I first monitoted ing correction I was seeing mostly negative correction. Maybe around 1 or 2 . I recently tried a new gas station and decided to go for a drive to see how the car was performing.. I was seeing positive corrections up to 6 or 7 . Is this normal? Maybe bad gas? The ajusted fuel ratio one (name might not be correct) is still at -1. So I am confused.
IMG_20190315_125303862.jpg
Sponsored

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I would not worry about -ignition corrections till you see consistent timing retarding, a -.5 is not a huge change, and positive corrections are ok. if you start seeing random -3.00+ corrections consistently then I would be a little worried. Usually when I would see these it would be either gas quality was not quite up to the task, or heat soak. I would also check alternating cyl monitors too see if you are seeing similar across all cyls, or just one or two. If your worried I would drop down to the stage 1 91 octane OTS but run the 93octane fuel and see if this minor correction goes away but I am not seeing a high knock count either which usually follows bad gas around imo I think you are ok.

OP
OP

Ghost3366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the response, very helpful. I felt gas and or heat could be the issue, it was actually above 60 today in the northeast. I more was wondering if positive correction of 6 or 7 would be something to really worry about or just expected. Sounds normal , please let me know any other thoughts.

Sponsored

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Timing advance under load is normal especially if everything is good, negative in such a small amount and not knowing if it was multiple cylinders because you are only monitoring one cyl #3. But such a low correction, and no high knock count I think your fine.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
bad Spark plugs can also cause negative corrections too.

However, if it detects bad enough knock, it drops the OAR which drops timing. If you're OAR sits on -1 all the time, then it doesn't think the knock you're getting is bad.

5.0yote

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Correct but one -.5 degree of timing correction is a very small correction that would have little to no affect.

OP
OP

Ghost3366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cylinder 2 is also on the gauges showing in the picture.