Sponsored

Car and Driver Compares the 1LE to the PP2

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If they would put the cooling on it from the factory then I might be in a PP2 next. I'm not buying a 50k track car only to immediately have to add upgraded cooling. That's ridiculous.

I echo the concerns with the trunk opening and some of the other camaro gripes, but showing up at the track in my brand new mustang only to go limp in 3 laps is an utter failure and I would hate the car because of it.

My priorities arent everyone's and I would feel the same if I bought an early auto Vette Z06 and it overheated. Its lame.
You know, when my Z06 popped a check engine light after a few laps on the track I didn't feel too bad about it. I thought I must just be pushing the car a little too hard and they didn't exactly build it for track use. However, when I watched them say they had a pro driver lap it for 24 hours on the track in their promotional video - that irritated me quite a bit.
Sponsored

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
You know, when my Z06 popped a check engine light after a few laps on the track I didn't feel too bad about it. I thought I must just be pushing the car a little too hard and they didn't exactly build it for track use. However, when I watched them say they had a pro driver lap it for 24 hours on the track in their promotional video - that irritated me quite a bit.
Yeah, but yours is a C5 right? It's acceptable for an older vehicle to have some issues like that. I would expect some needed upgrades prior to track abuse on that.

The brand new C7 Z06 with the auto had overheating issues, which was lame.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, but yours is a C5 right? It's acceptable for an older vehicle to have some issues like that. I would expect some needed upgrades prior to track abuse on that.

The brand new C7 Z06 with the auto had overheating issues, which was lame.
I agree on both points. I did have a full cooling system flush using cleaning chemicals and then refill right before the event, but yes cooling systems tend to degrade over time. I'm not brave enough to just replace the radiator with a new factory unit and expect that to take care of the problem, though. I think I will need coolers added for the trans and rear diff.

I have heard about the C7 Z06 and overheating on track doesn't seem to be the worst issue with it.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
FWIW, I just did an out and back on the Angeles Crest Hwy going 9-10/10ths (When the PSC2s squeal and your getting loose, you know your going hard), and the rear diff never went over 225 with hard, aggressive driving (going over 100 mph at times) (no one was in front of me on the westbound, and only 3 cars I needed to slow for heading back to the 15. Kept the car in third or 4th most of the way usually above 4K rpm.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Not sure what you mean by "barely streetable" - they seem to get me up and down I-15 without any problems. And on some "streets" like Angeles Crest or some other mountain and desert roads out here they are very, very "streetable".

Read the article, note where they say driving the Mustang in the rain was scary. But I guess it never rains in California.

As for a cheater engine, NASCAR considers overhead cams illegal. But I personally consider the engines a wash, they both make ~460hp. I don't care that one does it with push rods and displacement and the other with 4 valve heads and rpm. If anything, I slightly prefer the high tech approach. But if I was doing a engine swap I would pick the more compact package of the pushrod LT, those 4 valve heads are big and bulky and hard to fit in tight places.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Arthonon

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have to admit I don't understand what's wrong with a pushrod engine. As far as I know, they're not blowing up all the time or anything, and don't seem to have a problem with performance limitations. Maybe there's stuff I don't know, but even though it might be an older technology, I don't see that being a big drawback.

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
The Coyote may be more high the than the pushrod, but I hate the sewing machine noises mine makes. Fortunately, it lessens after the engine runs for 20 minutes.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I shopped both the Camaro SS and ZL1 before I bought my GT. I love Chevy engines, always have. But the front-end looks like an angry cheese grater and the interior is awful.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
The 2019 GT350's Cup 2 tires are suppose to have similar wet grip and not much worse life than the 2018 GT350's Super Sport. It's not suppose to be anywhere near as aggressive as the GT350R's Cup 2.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
And Santa Claus is supposed to have a naughty list.

There are some things you can do with compounds, that are within what I would expect to see in OEM specific tire formulations tweaks. But having a Sport Cup 2 provide the same rain permormance as a Pilot, with more than twice the tread void area is not one of them.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
And Santa Claus is supposed to have a naughty list.

There are some things you can do with compounds, that are within what I would expect to see in OEM specific tire formulations tweaks. But having a Sport Cup 2 provide the same rain permormance as a Pilot, with more than twice the tread void area is not one of them.
And softer, stickier tire compound with the same wear life is also counter-intuitive.
Sponsored