Sponsored

Rear Brake Piston Size

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Anyone know the piston diameter of the rear brakes on the GT? I'm looking into a little project retrofitting some brembo 2 piston calipers from an EVO X, or 350z, and just want to make sure i keep the bias as close as possible to stock, or even a slight increase in rear bias.

I would measure it myself, but i don't have the car available to me for another 4 weeks.

Cheers!
Sponsored

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
bump

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
You could try checking your local auto parts stores and see if they have one in stock so you could measure it. Iā€™d take some measurements for you but I didnā€™t drive it to work today

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Unfortunately i work at sea, so no auto parts stores nearby!

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Keep in mind the 15-19 non Shelby cars have an integrated parking brake in the caliper.

There is no drum.

So your options are to;
A. Install a brembo style caliper and forgo the parking brake.
B. Setup two calipers, one for the parking brake one for braking.
C. Install a brembo style caliper and electronic parking brake
D. Install the Shelby rear setup.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The plan was to install the rear 2 piston brembo from an Evo, as long as the piston areas are close (if not i might have to fit a brake bias adjuster).

For the hand brake my two options are to either fit a mini calliper like wildwood do, and brembo in some ferrari applications. Or fit a hydraulic hand brake that tee's into the hydraulic system for the brakes. The only issues with that is that the hand brake will then lock all 4 wheels, and the handbrake moving whenever i press the brakes, so i would need to figure out a way to lock the handbrake in place.

I'm leaning more towards the mini callipers as it would be a much safer option, but having the hand brake integrated into the hydraulic system would save some weight.

The main reason for doing this upgrade is weight. Those 2 piston brembos weigh half as much as the pig iron units on the car at the moment.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would compare the weights of what youā€™re planning to do to the GT350 rear setup.

You could technically do it all minus the gt350 rear caliper and throw an evo single piston caliper on it and verify that the pad sweep works.

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yeah, but if i'm going to go through all the effort of getting everything minus the callipers then i might as well also do the callipers. The idea is to keep as much of the stock stuff in the rear, including the smaller rotors, and just mount the 2 piston callipers with an adapter bracket. Ideally that is what would net the least weight.

I reckon by the time you add the larger and heavier rotors and drum setup from the GT350, you'll be at the same weight as the stock setup, so then really not worth it. Also it would affect the brake bias a lot more if i only did the rear setup. Not only larger piston and pad area, but also larger leverage from the larger rotors.

I've forgotten to mention that i'm already running the Steeda 2 piece rotors, so i'm not comparing stock GT to GT350. The steeda 2 piece rotors with a brembo 2 piston calliper would weigh significantly less than the GT350 setup i reckon.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yeah, but if i'm going to go through all the effort of getting everything minus the callipers then i might as well also do the callipers. The idea is to keep as much of the stock stuff in the rear, including the smaller rotors, and just mount the 2 piston callipers with an adapter bracket. Ideally that is what would net the least weight.

I reckon by the time you add the larger and heavier rotors and drum setup from the GT350, you'll be at the same weight as the stock setup, so then really not worth it. Also it would affect the brake bias a lot more if i only did the rear setup. Not only larger piston and pad area, but also larger leverage from the larger rotors.

I've forgotten to mention that i'm already running the Steeda 2 piece rotors, so i'm not comparing stock GT to GT350. The steeda 2 piece rotors with a brembo 2 piston calliper would weigh significantly less than the GT350 setup i reckon.
All I can say is it wonā€™t be easy. Good luck man

OP
OP
DB83

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
For sure there's going to be a lot of :curse: :crackup:
Sponsored